Cessna 172 Articulating Seat

Skymac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the jack screw on a articulating seat? Got one that needs to be a little more upright and trying to see if there is a way to adjustment the clock on the jackscrew. Looking at it, I can’t quite figure it out if there is a way or not. Service manual doesn’t seem to help either.

Beware the little clevis pin that rides on that bellcrank/cam. I have found them worn more than halfway through, about to fail suddenly. And if one side fails, the load all ends up on the other side, and it will likely fail too, and dump the pilot back. The reflexive action is to pull one's self back up, and that usually means pulling hard on the control wheel, stalling the airplane. Nasty.

Beware the little clevis pin that rides on that bellcrank/cam. I have found them worn more than halfway through, about to fail suddenly. And if one side fails, the load all ends up on the other side, and it will likely fail too, and dump the pilot back. The reflexive action is to pull one's self back up, and that usually means pulling hard on the control wheel, stalling the airplane. Nasty.
My bell cranks have two roll pins each...probably for the reason in Dan's post. The problem is that the holes in the bell crank, through which the roll pins are pressed, get "hogged out" and elongated. This gives the bell crank some play, and puts more pressure on the roll pins. The fix is to either replace the bell crank and roll pins, or drill holes 90 degrees away from the existing holes and start with fresh holes both in the shaft the comes out of the seat and the bell crank.

My bell cranks have two roll pins each...probably for the reason in Dan's post. The problem is that the holes in the bell crank, through which the roll pins are pressed, get "hogged out" and elongated. This gives the bell crank some play, and puts more pressure on the roll pins. The fix is to either replace the bell crank and roll pins, or drill holes 90 degrees away from the existing holes and start with fresh holes both in the shaft the comes out of the seat and the bell crank.
The roll pins you speak of are retaining the cam on its shaft. The clevis pins I refer to are in the bottom ends of the seat back side frames, and ride on the cam. That cam grinds away at them, wearing them thin. Because the wear and damage are hard to see, in between the forks of that seat back frame, they are most often overlooked.

I’ll take a look at these! Good idea.

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the jack screw on a articulating seat? Got one that needs to be a little more upright and trying to see if there is a way to adjustment the clock on the jackscrew. Looking at it, I can’t quite figure it out if there is a way or not. Service manual doesn’t seem to help either.
Mc Farlane has parts cheapernCessna.

Back