Cessna 170B, tight landing

motoadve

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
motoadve
Probably one of my most challenging landings, narrow approach with an S turn at slow speeds into a short gravel bar, was pretty exciting, I also show the safety precautions for this operations and examples of other landings, hope you enjoy.

Probably one of my most challenging landings, narrow approach with an S turn at slow speeds into a short gravel bar, was pretty exciting, I also show the safety precautions for this operations and examples of other landings, hope you enjoy.

In awe here . I'm a student in training on a 170. Off hours I "practice landings" with XBox MSFS (Carenado C170B model) and cannot avoid bounced landings (in real life either) yet you made this look so easy.

I am a flight simmer too, Carenado makes horrible flight models, good graphics onlt, I have their 170 and flies horrible.
In the real 170 To avoid bouncing, just come slower and add a bit of power to stop the sink rate prior to touch down.
Practice slow flight at altitude lots of it, that gives you a good feel for the plane.

I am a flight simmer too, Carenado makes horrible flight models, good graphics onlt, I have their 170 and flies horrible.
In the real 170 To avoid bouncing, just come slower and add a bit of power to stop the sink rate prior to touch down.
Practice slow flight at altitude lots of it, that gives you a good feel for the plane.
Are you using their 170 on the PC or XBox? There was a model update this year for the XBox 170. The XBox Carenado 170 feels/reacts very close to my flight school's 170 (a 1948 model but updated years ago with metal wings). I tried your throttling suggestion in my sim and that sure did help my landings; now to try it at my next lesson. Thanks!

I use PC, if you want the most realistic simulator try the warbirds in DCS, good practice for tailwheel, much better than any plane in MSFS.

I use PC, if you want the most realistic simulator try the warbirds in DCS, good practice for tailwheel, much better than any plane in MSFS.
I used to do online combat with Janes WW2F and then on to IL2 for many, many years and more hours than I'd care to admit. I haven't tried Warbirds yet but may do so when I build my next PC. Thanks!

have you ever done a video diving a bit more into your planning considerations? Not expecting a lesson, just informational....
that is, not just to say you "think about the takeoff".... but I'm guessing you have some numbers in mind, for how much distance you need for ground roll. Then you either visit to walk the sandbar, or measure some other way, to make sure you can get out....
and if you don't visit before hand, how do you know how hard or soft it is? size of the gravel, which surely affects ground roll greatly in both directions? etc...

Back