cessna 152

c152roadkill

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
152roadkill
I am in need of feedback on a question. ook my neighbor busted up his 152 aerobat while trying to land on a dirt road by my farm. bent the nose gear prop and who knows what else. he asked if I wanted to buy at from him and try to fix it up. it has been sitting for 3 years in the back of my horse barn where he stored it after his opsee. I have been itching to get my hands on it.

It would be a fun way to learn about the aircraft I am training in. He wants 2 grand for it. I really want this even it I can not get it running I thought about turning it into a float ride for our local town parade on the 4th.

ideas advice or help would be great.:dunno:

I am in need of feedback on a question. ook my neighbor busted up his 152 aerobat while trying to land on a dirt road by my farm. bent the nose gear prop and who knows what else. he asked if I wanted to buy at from him and try to fix it up. it has been sitting for 3 years in the back of my horse barn where he stored it after his opsee. I have been itching to get my hands on it.

It would be a fun way to learn about the aircraft I am training in. He wants 2 grand for it. I really want this even it I can not get it running I thought about turning it into a float ride for our local town parade on the 4th.

ideas advice or help would be great.:dunno:

$2k? buy it the engine core is $5k pictures please.

$2k? buy it the engine core is $5k pictures please.

Yup. Ill buy some of the aluminum from you too. 152 is also a Tim tested bird with good parts availability. If you have access to an agreeable A&P, you might get it going again and not be too upside down in it.

For 2 grand? You bet - parts are worth 3-4 times that much at a minimum. As for ever getting it flying again - forget it.

I think I will get it and use it to learn everything I can about the 152. all else fails I can turn it into a float. we use to have a old guy in town that had a t tail he turned into a ride for fairs towed it around with a small tractor.

I think I will get it and use it to learn everything I can about the 152. all else fails I can turn it into a float. we use to have a old guy in town that had a t tail he turned into a ride for fairs towed it around with a small tractor.

Usually a local college with a mechanic school will take it off your hands too, with some possible tax benefits.

As for ever getting it flying again - forget it.

Do you have inside info on how much damage it has?

Buy it for 2k, a used engine from a salvage yard, and you may be flying under 10k

ok went out to feed the horses and to look at it more. opened the cowling and was greeted by ****ed off opossums who are living there. the right wing is buckled some and the strut looks like my draft horse has been chewin on it.

I have an idea that my husband gave me. we run a equine center that teaches at risk kids responsibility and gives them a salf environment to live in during the summertime. we have a few kids that are aviation nuts hhe said I should use it as a training aid teach them about aircraft and what makes em fly. he wants to stick a car motor in it and take it down main street. :yikes:

May not be much core value if the crank is bent and the case damaged. Caveat emptor.

0-235s are cheap. why would you try to fix it ?

the costs are in the accessories.

Until some one shows me the damage, I'll still think it is worth 2k

ok went out to feed the horses and to look at it more. opened the cowling and was greeted by ****ed off opossums who are living there. the right wing is buckled some and the strut looks like my draft horse has been chewin on it.

I have an idea that my husband gave me. we run a equine center that teaches at risk kids responsibility and gives them a salf environment to live in during the summertime. we have a few kids that are aviation nuts hhe said I should use it as a training aid teach them about aircraft and what makes em fly. he wants to stick a car motor in it and take it down main street. :yikes:

I get the idea that the aircraft is in hands that have no clue what they have.

Looks like a bunch of parts on Ebay

I think that's exactly the point - starting counting parts, and start adding up the sales price. Now go do an inventory of those parts on the damaged wildlife refuge aircraft. Now do the math, and make a decision.

Even as an A&P, I don't see it happening. The accident was ?3? years ago and mother nature has taken residence in it, furthing the cycle back to its natural state.

I am in need of feedback on a question. ook my neighbor busted up his 152 aerobat while trying to land on a dirt road by my farm. bent the nose gear prop and who knows what else.

Where are you?

Depending on what he did you it, you either have a project or parts for someone else's project.

152s are simple and strong. Aerobats even stronger. GET THE LOGS if you buy it.

Even as an A&P, I don't see it happening. The accident was ?3? years ago and mother nature has taken residence in it, furthing the cycle back to its natural state.

WoW I missed that, and a horse has been chewing on it?

I'm starting to change my mind.

Yup. Ill buy some of the aluminum from you too. 152 is also a Tim tested bird with good parts availability. If you have access to an agreeable A&P, you might get it going again and not be too upside down in it.

Who is Tim? Does he test other aircraft as well?

:rofl::rofl:

I'm just sitting here laughing. Horses chewing on airplanes is something I never thought I'd ever read. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

he left in your property for years without rent. I say his savings on not paying a tie down/hangar more than make up for the 2000 dollars.

he left in your property for years without rent. I say his savings on not paying a tie down/hangar more than make up for the 2000 dollars.

Would that work with out a rental agreement up front?

Too many things that are unknowns, that we do not know to be unknowns, etc ( Rumsfeld) is it outside? Is it under roof? If it's under roof I would be tempted to buy it, tear the engine down, which may or may not be damaged. Did horse really damage it or simply scrape some paint off. Has an AP looked at it? Logs? Meanwhile here at home, a 180 Cessna has sat.....in a hangar for 35 years, recently dragged out as owner passed on, purchased price reported to be around 10 grand. Bores coped, looks ok, new prop purchased with accessories, test run several times, runs nice. They are ready to test Hop it any day. Old radios, etc. but a 180 is a great airplane. I would think a good ap would be interested in this airplane. 2 grand seems worth a gamble.

Get an A&P to come out and take a look, get an estimate, and try to see how much it will cost. You really should have him lower the price because he happened to store it on YOUR PROPERTY. Check through the logs. Selling a 152A for just $2000 sounds really sketchy.

Good luck!

Back in the days of cotton fabric airplanes, you NEVER wanted to park one in an "empty" field unless you could be sure that there would never be cows in that field.

Jim

Yup. Cows will eat anything at all. A friend had the cows eat a good part of his Taylorcraft, and at that same field we had an old mobile home that we tore the interior walls out of to make a clubhouse. We shoved the old wood, electrical wire and fiberglass insulation underneath it. The cows found that, dragged it out, and ate it. Wiring and all.

An old rancher I knew drove an old pickup that had horse-teeth marks all around the top edges of the box and along the tailgate. They seem to like the taste of paint, he said. It does terrible things to the metal, too, and I imagine those 152 wing struts are ruined.

Dan

We put magnets in our cow's stomachs so the metal they eat won't kill them but I have to say ours don't go looking for iron. It's usually bits of wire they swallow accidentally while eating grass that does them in.

Back