Cessna 152 spinner differences?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I have noticed two types of spinners being put on 152's. The pointed style spinner and the rounded spinner. Why are there two different types on these. As far as i know the same engine model is installed in the aircraft but they have different spinners. Anyone know the purpose or difference between why they have two types on these?

I have noticed two types of spinners being put on 152's. The pointed style spinner and the rounded spinner. Why are there two different types on these. As far as i know the same engine model is installed in the aircraft but they have different spinners. Anyone know the purpose or difference between why they have two types on these?

The OEM was a bullet style, the replacement is a pointed one, You can't buy the old bullet any more.

I have seen the rounded kind on 152s modified with Sensenich props. All the others had the pointy kind.

Rounded = older, pointy = newer, that is all, no significant difference.

The big difference is the cost of the new pointy spinner. Last price I was quoted was near $400.00

The early bullet spinner was fiberglass, the new one is metal. with two bulkheads.

I have one for sale.

I think that's backwards.

As built from the factory, all 152s (1978-85) came with spinners in the shape of a perfect cone, with a sharp point.

1978:

cessna_152_1978.jpg

1985:

cessna_152_1985_1204.jpg

Anything else, like the spinner on the one in the photo in this link, must be aftermarket.

Cessna 150s (1959-77) were built with a variety of different spinners over the years.

Last edited:
Pilawat,

the spinner in the link that you posted is definitely the Sensenich aftermarket spinner.

Bob

The spinner in the link is the part # C2326 spinner used on the Sensenich 72CKS6 propeller ( replacement for the gull-wing McCauley prop )

the spinner change occurred at the engine model change at the 1977-78 model

I just looked it up.

the spinner change occurred at the engine model change at the 1977-78 model

I just looked it up.
Cessna 150 = 1959 - 1977, Continental O-200-A;
Cessna 152 = 1978 (introduced mid-calendar-year 1977) - 1985, Lycoming O-235.

The OP asked about C-152, which is only the Lycoming-powered airplane.

C-150 had several different spinners over the years:

cessna_150a_3.jpg

cessna_150b.jpg

cessna_150j_discover.jpg

cessna_150l_1974_alaska.jpg

The large conical spinners of the 1966-70 model years (150F-150K) were prone to developing cracks, so a lot of owners just put the little button cap on them. Mine was one of them.

PICT0369.JPG

Last edited:
Answers my question thanks everyone!

Back