Cessna 150K Cylinder Question - First Post

Samuel Spanovich

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Spanovich008
First post on POA, which will be about (possibly) buying a Cessna 150K for sale in my area (N6108G listed on Trade-a-Plane). ~1632 SMOH & SPOH, and ~50 STOH.

Little background: Private Pilot (~200 hours). Studied Mechanical Engineering. Currently at NAS Meridian as a Student Pilot.

I have read through a fair amount of internet forums to have learned the “basics” of ownership, but obviously still have a long way to go. I apologize in advance if these are rookie questions.

My question today is regarding the cylinders on the O-200.

The plane listed has the AD that retards timing to 24 degrees BTC (77-13-03 I believe), so I am assuming the engine has the "weak", stock TCM cylinders (emailed the owner to confirm, but he hasn't replied yet). A little bit of research leads me to believe that these cylinders often fail within 200 hours of new, or eventually wear out in approximately 500 hours. This information comes from 150Cessna.Tripod and Forum.cubcrafters (can't post the full link since it's my first post).

My question is, since the engine recently underwent a top overhaul, would the timing AD reduce the stresses on the cylinders enough that they would likely last another 400-450 hours? Or am I just asking for trouble purchasing an O-200 with TCM cylinders even with the AD?

I plan on using a 3/2 part of Mogas/100LL, and will lean wherever possible.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you all, and happy flying.

What was done on the top overhaul,will make a difference.

First post on POA, which will be about (possibly) buying a Cessna 150K for sale in my area (N6108G listed on Trade-a-Plane). ~1632 SMOH & SPOH, and ~50 STOH.

Little background: Private Pilot (~200 hours). Studied Mechanical Engineering. Currently at NAS Meridian as a Student Pilot.

I have read through a fair amount of internet forums to have learned the “basics” of ownership, but obviously still have a long way to go. I apologize in advance if these are rookie questions.

The plane listed has the AD that retards timing to 24 degrees BTC (77-13-03 I believe), so I am assuming the engine has the "weak", stock TCM cylinders (emailed the owner to confirm, but he hasn't replied yet). A little bit of research leads me to believe that these cylinders often fail within 200 hours of new, or eventually wear out in approximately 500 hours. This information comes from 150Cessna.Tripod and Forum.cubcrafters (can't post the full link since it's my first post).

My question is, since the engine recently underwent a top overhaul, would the timing AD reduce the stresses on the cylinders enough that they would likely last another 400-450 hours? Or am I just asking for trouble purchasing an O-200 with TCM cylinders even with the AD?

I can't help you with the lifespan of the TCMs, but as a former 150k owner, I'm aware that the timing AD, in addition to reducing stress on the engine, also costs you horsepower. I've heard different opinions as to how much horsepower, but my 150k even WITH the upgraded/full horsepower cylinders, was very underpowered. I couldn't imagine flying that plane with less horsepower, just saying.

It would be worth your money and time to spend $35 and join the Cessna 150/152 Club (http://www.cessna150-152club.com/). There are a lot of knowledgeable people there and a wealth of information regarding all things Cessna 150.

And welcome to POA, Samuel.

I can't help you with the lifespan of the TCMs, but as a former 150k owner, I'm aware that the timing AD, in addition to reducing stress on the engine, also costs you horsepower. I've heard different opinions as to how much horsepower, but my 150k even WITH the upgraded/full horsepower cylinders, was very underpowered. I couldn't imagine flying that plane with less horsepower, just saying.

I second that. A higher airport or a hot day really eats into the performance. I and some other folks have long suspected that the O-200 isn't really a 100-hp engine, and I had better performance out of a C-90 in an Ercoupe that worked out to the same pounds per HP. Took off shorter, climbed and cruised faster. That C-90 pulled far better than the O-200s in the 150s I instructed in.

And we also had a Champ with an O-200 that outran the 150s, too.

To have that AD apply, those would have to be some very old cylinders.
That Ad does not apply to any After market cylinders, and all new era cylinders by TCM.
Plus it was topped 50 hours ago? what cylinder were installed?

The AD retarded the timing to 24 degrees before top dead center, the normal timing is 28 degrees, these cylinders should be at 28.
The AD is still active, so it will show on any AD search, if you would like to know if it applies, simply pull a valve cover and see if the rocker arm shaft has bronze/ brass bushings as the bearing surface for the rocker shaft.
Normal life of new cylinder is 1200 hours then possible valve problems.
Running a fuel mix is a good thing and will extend the life of the valves and postpone problems.

If they look like this. no AD

Attachments

• L0AlYsd3SAi9uiU%uWe8cQ.jpg
    L0AlYsd3SAi9uiU%uWe8cQ.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 57
Way back in 77 when this AD came out, of all the 150 that I turned the timing down, I never noticed a reduction in climb rate.

But that was 40 years ago. :)

Thank you all for the replies.

I've never flown a 150, so I'm not exactly sure quite how under-powered it is, however I have about 25 hours in a 152 and if the performance is at all comparable (close to 300-500 fpm climb and ~100 knots TAS), I'll be satisfied. This plane will truly be a VFR only, $100 hamburger, “have fun” type of aircraft (expensive hobby, I know). It will hardly ever (if at all) be used for long trips. With the exception of moving sometime in the next 1-2 years, the longest trips I ever take are to the beach which is roughly 150 NM.

I will certainly check out the C150-152 club as well.

That Ad does not apply to any After market cylinders, and all new era cylinders by TCM.

The AD retarded the timing to 24 degrees before top dead center, the normal timing is 28 degrees, these cylinders should be at 28.
The AD is still active, so it will show on any AD search, if you would like to know if it applies, simply pull a valve cover and see if the rocker arm shaft has bronze/ brass bushings as the bearing surface for the rocker shaft.
Running a fuel mix is a good thing and will extend the life of the valves and postpone problems.

Attached is a slip that the owner emailed me regarding the latest annual inspection. It does not specify what kind of cylinders are on the plane (owner has still not replied to my question about what type they are or what was done on the top overhaul), but it does state that the timing was “checked at 24 BTDC”. So without seeing the aircraft in person, based on this slip, it is likely that it is equipped with older TCM cylinders.

I am lucky enough to have an airport close-by that offers 100LL and MoGas, so mixing a fuel will not be a problem.

Also do you mean 1200 hours since they've been overhauled or re-worked, or 1200 hours since they were brand new from the factory?

Attachments

• Cessna_150K_Annual.pdf
    277.6 KB · Views: 23
Look up Dean Lee in the FAA data base and call him. He should know what cylinders are installed?
Or the seller should know his number.

Last edited:
Is there a log book entry for the top overhaul?

Says me save the money and buy a Cherokee. You'll like it better.
After owning both, I agree that the Cherokee is a much better/more capable aircraft. But like all things better, there’s a trade off...it costs more.

After owning both, I agree that the Cherokee is a much better/more capable aircraft. But like all things better, there’s a trade off...it costs more.
Yep, your PA 28 will never operate as cheap as a 150. and ya have to climb up out of it thru 1 door. that gets more difficult every year.

I was a 150G owner and a member of the 150/152 club for many years. I know folks who have flown them from SoCal, Utah, Florida and the East coast to make the annual pilgrimage to Clinton, IA every year. If you don't mind below 10k feet and slow, you can have adventures in a 150.

My advice is to lean whenever you can. Oil pressure moves off the peg on startup: Lean it until runup/takeoff. Level off in cruise, regardless of altitude: lean it out. I've been running on O200 cylinders & 100 LL for close to 15 years and never experienced sticky valves (KOW!) Running a mogas blend may help, unfamiliar with that.

Also, the 152 is a 24v ship which means everything costs more and the cylinders are considerably more to replace/overhaul.

Here is the annual logbook entry from Feb2018 (attached). The AD states to reset timing back to 28* BTDC once aftermarket cylinders are installed. Based on the annual write-up (attached) it appears these are the original cylinders...? TTSMOH is 1630. TTSN 5302. Any more information about the status of this engine would be helpful. Tough to weed through all these ADs sometimes...

Attachments

• Scan_0008.pdf
    277.6 KB · Views: 11

Samuel, Did you buy it? Seems to have some weak engine issues and pending ADs I am looking into the airplane if still unsold.

Here is the annual logbook entry from Feb2018 (attached). The AD states to reset timing back to 28* BTDC once aftermarket cylinders are installed. Based on the annual write-up (attached) it appears these are the original cylinders...? TTSMOH is 1630. TTSN 5302. Any more information about the status of this engine would be helpful. Tough to weed through all these ADs sometimes...
I still wonder what cylinders they are. For cylinders that old, they have remarkable compression.

If this all we can determine leave it alone, fly it.

Still have not had a chance to visit the plane in person, but spoke with the broker and owner a couple weeks ago.

I hate to post this on a public forum, but I am curious if other people have experienced this as well. It almost seems that the broker and owner are either hiding something, or don't know very much about the airplane they're selling. When asked about the weight and balance of the airplane, the broker replied "oh well.....it should be pretty close to standard, since it hasn't had very much added to it". When asked if the airplane has been weighed, he replied "I'm not sure". When asked about any other gripes with the aircraft, the person said something to the nature of "It's just.....is what it is, it's a used airplane, and we're asking $17,500 firm". When asked about the cylinders, he didn't know any information about it either.

When I spoke with the owner directly (after tracking down his contact information) I asked about the serial numbers of the engine, carb, mags, and prop to do an AD search, which got me a reply of something like "Ummm....I'd have to check, why do you need those again?" "To do an AD search sir, because a mechanic I know was interested in doing a pre-buy and asked for those". "Well tell your mechanic that it just had a fresh annual, so all the ADs are complied with. If you still need them I can get them, but it might take me some time as I have to go through the logs". When asked about the cylinders and what was done on the top overhaul "again, I'd have to check the logs, I'm honestly not sure".

Eventually, I emailed them a few days later to follow up with both of them (The broker and the owner), and did not get a response. Eventually I sent another email with "if I can get the information on the cylinders and the serial numbers, I may purchase the airplane as long as the pre-buy checks out okay". Nearly 2 weeks later, I still have not received an answer from either of them.

Is this normal for aircraft sellers? Call me naive (again, first time buying), but I always envision that a good aircraft owner/seller would say something like "oh yes, those are the older style TCM cylinders, the useful load is 497 lbs with the wheel pants. If you take them off, then its 510 pounds, and we actually just had it re-weighed in 2013. It uses roughly 7 gph, it can absolutely run on car gas, the top overhaul had the TCM cylinders overhauled, but not replaced, and since they're old, the timing still has to be turned down. Any other questions?"......something to that effect. Saying "I don't know" for just about every basic question asked is not acceptable in my eyes.

For the record, those are not the actual values of this plane, but I was just using them as an example.

Will try calling one more time today or tomorrow to see if anything is changed. If I ever actually get the chance to go see the airplane in person, I will and will keep you posted. I hate to lose interest in this airplane because it is one of the better looking ones for sale, is close to me, and is fairly reasonable in price, but I can't help but think "what are they really hiding". Of course, c08joseph may come snatch it from me if I'm too slow haha.

Samuel, Did you buy it? Seems to have some weak engine issues and pending ADs I am looking into the airplane if still unsold.

Would you mind if I sent you a PM?

Last edited:
Also, in reply to those who mentioned the Piper Cherokees, I like them and they are great machines (have some hours in one), however I am more of a high wing person and in addition, will hardly ever need more than two seats. The main reason for me liking the C150 is it's lower costs, and all performance aside, will be to just get up in the air and enjoy a sunny day. The lower cost of the C150 (vs more loading and performance in the Cherokee), is more worth it to me.

Look up Dean Lee in the FAA data base and call him. He should know what cylinders are installed?
Or the seller should know his number.

I could not find Dean Lee in the FAA Database. The seller knows, however has not replied to my email asking for his number.

I will try to find out what cylinders are on the aircraft. I am just as curious as you are. 70s compressions on cylinders that old would be pretty crazy to me.

Also, in reply to those who mentioned the Piper Cherokees, I like them and they are great machines (have some hours in one), however I am more of a high wing person and in addition, will hardly ever need more than two seats. The main reason for me liking the C150 is it's lower costs, and all performance aside, will be to just get up in the air and enjoy a sunny day. The lower cost of the C150 (vs more loading and performance in the Cherokee), is more worth it to me.

I could not find Dean Lee in the FAA Database. The seller knows, however has not replied to my email asking for his number.

I will try to find out what cylinders are on the aircraft. I am just as curious as you are. 70s compressions on cylinders that old would be pretty crazy to me.
They could be that old, we don't know how they were cared for or how many times they were repaired.
Sure would like to see the entry for the overhaul. And maybe if you get lucky the yellow tags for the parts used in the overhaul. Or maybe the purchase receipt for the cylinders, some owners save that stuff others don't.

I still wonder what cylinders they are. For cylinders that old, they have remarkable compression.

If this all we can determine leave it alone, fly it.

Tom, based on your statement (which makes sense to me) of "leave it alone, fly it.", what would you want to check and how often to track the health of the cylinders in this case? Normal compression check at annual? 50 hours? Something else? Just trying to learn here.

Tom, based on your statement (which makes sense to me) of "leave it alone, fly it.", what would you want to check and how often to track the health of the cylinders in this case? Normal compression check at annual? 50 hours? Something else? Just trying to learn here.
20-W-50, a good filter, change oil at 25 hours, cam guard if you like. Check valve wobble at annual. do the valve guide cleaning at annual too.

Still have not had a chance to visit the plane in person, but spoke with the broker and owner a couple weeks ago.

I hate to post this on a public forum, but I am curious if other people have experienced this as well. It almost seems that the broker and owner are either hiding something, or don't know very much about the airplane they're selling. When asked about the weight and balance of the airplane, the broker replied "oh well.....it should be pretty close to standard, since it hasn't had very much added to it". When asked if the airplane has been weighed, he replied "I'm not sure". When asked about any other gripes with the aircraft, the person said something to the nature of "It's just.....is what it is, it's a used airplane, and we're asking $17,500 firm". When asked about the cylinders, he didn't know any information about it either.

When I spoke with the owner directly (after tracking down his contact information) I asked about the serial numbers of the engine, carb, mags, and prop to do an AD search, which got me a reply of something like "Ummm....I'd have to check, why do you need those again?" "To do an AD search sir, because a mechanic I know was interested in doing a pre-buy and asked for those". "Well tell your mechanic that it just had a fresh annual, so all the ADs are complied with. If you still need them I can get them, but it might take me some time as I have to go through the logs". When asked about the cylinders and what was done on the top overhaul "again, I'd have to check the logs, I'm honestly not sure".

Eventually, I emailed them a few days later to follow up with both of them (The broker and the owner), and did not get a response. Eventually I sent another email with "if I can get the information on the cylinders and the serial numbers, I may purchase the airplane as long as the pre-buy checks out okay". Nearly 2 weeks later, I still have not received an answer from either of them.

Is this normal for aircraft sellers? Call me naive (again, first time buying), but I always envision that a good aircraft owner/seller would say something like "oh yes, those are the older style TCM cylinders, the useful load is 497 lbs with the wheel pants. If you take them off, then its 510 pounds, and we actually just had it re-weighed in 2013. It uses roughly 7 gph, it can absolutely run on car gas, the top overhaul had the TCM cylinders overhauled, but not replaced, and since they're old, the timing still has to be turned down. Any other questions?"......something to that effect. Saying "I don't know" for just about every basic question asked is not acceptable in my eyes.

For the record, those are not the actual values of this plane, but I was just using them as an example.

Will try calling one more time today or tomorrow to see if anything is changed. If I ever actually get the chance to go see the airplane in person, I will and will keep you posted. I hate to lose interest in this airplane because it is one of the better looking ones for sale, is close to me, and is fairly reasonable in price, but I can't help but think "what are they really hiding". Of course, c08joseph may come snatch it from me if I'm too slow haha.

There are lots of 150's out there.

It almost seems that the broker and owner are either hiding something, or don't know very much about the airplane they're selling.

Lots of people buy and sell things without doing much due diligence. I think I knew more about the plane I was buying than the owner did by the time I bought it. I also just sold an old car, the buyer barely looked at it.

If you asked me those questions, I would hope I had prepared to sell it and knew the answers. I would have an information sheet that highlighted the pertinent stuff an owner would want to know: known damage history, upgrades, repairs, mods, W&B, engine times, AD Status, etc. But what you're experiencing is pretty normal - airplane owners & buyers are just weird, plus that's a pretty darn cheap airplane.

My recommendation is to move on NOW and keep moving until you find one that's perfect for you. Like Jaws said, there's lots out there. The 150 club is a good resource and you might find a really good 150 listed for sale there. PM me and I can get you in touch with good people there. Do not get emotional or you will be sorry. Just my .02 & worth exactly what you paid for it.

p.s. Here's a nice J model I found for sale on the club's classifieds: https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...model=150J&listing_id=2304664&s-type=aircraft

Funny enough I actually know that plane and its owner. Not sure how much he wants for it. It's under contract with a broker right now but the contract is about to run out. PM me with questions.
I think I read 21k so with negotiables it's not far at all in AMU terms.

Samual, if you haven't "pulled the trigger" yet, and you feel like you'd still want it, get a A&P that knows 150's well and have him look at the logs and aircraft, even if you dumped several hundred on his time, that's small potatoes compared what you could drop on the next annual, the weight & balance should be in the glove box, so the pilot can access it easily, I just did a weight & balance on a C model 150, just because it hadn't been weighed since leaving the factory, wish you the best on it, gary

Hey Samuel, I looked at the plane—log books are in disarray. Sometimes that is normal for older planes but these are rough. Cylinder P/N requires 24* BTDC due to AD. Airplane hasnt flown a single hour in 2 years. I’d moved on. I’m walking away. Start-up was rough with lots of priming needed.

A rough startup requiring lotsa prime would be consistent to simply being left for 2 years w fuel turned on. The carb bowl would be full of all the heavy stuff that wouldn't vaporize. Get an experienced C-150 mechanic to look at it. I'd be more concerned about airframe corrosion. The engine cyls & valve faces could also be corroded but not necessarily so.

If this 150/0-200 is out in the maritime area, hasn't flown in 2 years,, it's junk.

Hey Samuel, I looked at the plane—log books are in disarray. Sometimes that is normal for older planes but these are rough. Cylinder P/N requires 24* BTDC due to AD. Airplane hasnt flown a single hour in 2 years. I’d moved on. I’m walking away. Start-up was rough with lots of priming needed.

Literally had it on my schedule to go check it out next weekend, but now that obviously won't be needed. Pretty rough huh? Did you fly it at all, or just run it on the ground only. Also, was there a logbook entry for the top overhaul (just to satisfy my curiosity).

Thank you for passing on this information, I appreciate it very much, and that post made my life a lot easier (as in, I do not feel compelled to drive 4 hours one way next weekend only to get there and find out the plane is a bust).

If you asked me those questions, I would hope I had prepared to sell it and knew the answers. I would have an information sheet that highlighted the pertinent stuff an owner would want to know: known damage history, upgrades, repairs, mods, W&B, engine times, AD Status, etc. But what you're experiencing is pretty normal - airplane owners & buyers are just weird, plus that's a pretty darn cheap airplane.

My recommendation is to move on NOW and keep moving until you find one that's perfect for you. Like Jaws said, there's lots out there. The 150 club is a good resource and you might find a really good 150 listed for sale there. PM me and I can get you in touch with good people there. Do not get emotional or you will be sorry. Just my .02 & worth exactly what you paid for it.

p.s. Here's a nice J model I found for sale on the club's classifieds: https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...model=150J&listing_id=2304664&s-type=aircraft

That is a nice aircraft listed. You said they're asking $21k for it? I'm going to certainly keep on looking, and will certainly not get emotional. I will be sending you a PM shortly. Thank you!

Are they interference or non-interference

You started it without any special prep? If it was any good it isn't now.
We followed the cessna special prep instructions perfectly because we are highly qualified pilots and mechanics withyears of experience and thousands of hours. Still had an awful start. If you need any special prep tip let me know and I can pass along my wisdom. Lots of sputtering in this bird...

Literally had it on my schedule to go check it out next weekend, but now that obviously won't be needed. Pretty rough huh? Did you fly it at all, or just run it on the ground only. Also, was there a logbook entry for the top overhaul (just to satisfy my curiosity).

Thank you for passing on this information, I appreciate it very much, and that post made my life a lot easier (as in, I do not feel compelled to drive 4 hours one way next weekend only to get there and find out the plane is a bust).

That is a nice aircraft listed. You said they're asking $21k for it? I'm going to certainly keep on looking, and will certainly not get emotional. I will be sending you a PM shortly. Thank you!

Hi Sam, weather rolled in so ground run only. Bits and pieces of overhaul work done—top was done also. I believe it is 1630SMOH but I’d have to check the logs again. My advice, better options available.

Back