Cessna 150 Model G (1967) Speed, Flap, Power Settings in Circuit?

Airmaster23

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Airmaster
Hi,

I'm new to flying a Cessna 150 (Model G - 1967).

The POH lists a range of speeds for various flap settings.

Can you verify / correct the following info on the chart?

[row][cell]Flight Phase [/cell][cell] Power setting (RPM) [/cell][cell] Flap setting [/cell][cell] Speed (MPH) [/cell][/row]

[row][row][cell]cross wind leg, climb [/cell][cell] full throttle [/cell][cell] up [/cell][cell] 70 [/cell][/row][/row]

[row][row][row][cell] downwind [/cell][cell] 2200 [/cell][cell] up [/cell][cell] n/a [/cell][/row][/row][/row]

[row][row][row][row][cell] before turning base [/cell][cell] 1500 [/cell][cell] flaps 20° [/cell][cell] 70 [/cell][/row][/row][/row][/row]

[row][row][row][row][row][cell] base [/cell][cell] 1500 [/cell][cell] flaps 20° [/cell][cell] 70 [/cell][/row][/row][/row][/row][/row]

[row][row][row][row][cell] final [/cell][cell] 1500 [/cell][cell] flaps 30° [/cell][cell] 65 [/cell][/row][/row][/row][/row]

[row][cell]strong crosswind landing [/cell][cell] 1800 [/cell][cell] flaps 20° [/cell][cell] 75 [/cell][/row]

[row][row][cell]flapless landing [/cell][cell] 1600 [/cell][cell] up [/cell][cell] 70 [/cell][/row][/row]

[row][row][row][cell] glide-in landing[/cell][cell] idle[/cell][cell] flaps full [/cell][cell] 65 [/cell][/row][/row][/row]
Power is in RPM and Speeds are MPH.

Thanks.

Looks like you can trim it for 70 in the pattern and just make the flap and throttle changes. But I've never flown a C-15x

I flew a 150M circa 1975 so ymmv but Vy was 78 so I shot for 80 while climbing

Downwind 85
Base 75
Final 65
Fence 60

All speeds in MPH

Those settings sound about right for a 150/152 in MPH. I did my training in a 152 that read in knots. And I owned a 172G (1966) that read in MPH.

You might have go to 75 MPH on climb to keep it cool if it's hot out.

In my 150, 1975 M, I use 80 mph all the way down up until I hit the threshold, 0-40 degree flaps. I do agree with the 20 degrees max for a strong crosswind. I am at 1700 RPM on the downwind and base, 1500 on final, and take it all the way out when I know I'm going to make the landing safely. Do you have wheel pants? It makes a difference, to me at least. I put in the flaps when I'm comfortable, but never from 0-40 in one shot. I usually do the first 10 before I turn base, next 10 on the base, then last 10-20 on final (depending if I need them or not). I also use 80 for Vy, and use 65 for Vx.

I'm the proud new part-owner of a 150G as well. All three of us will be using it to finish our partial flight training. I have to say, the speeds and settings are all quite "flexible" compared to what I'm used to. Speed ranges, maybe maybe not if you want flaps??

To date, all my training (7 years ago) was in a Warrior. The pattern was a pretty firm procedure. 1500 rpm, 90kts mid field, flaps first notch. Flaps second notch on base, 70 kts. Flaps third notch on final, 65kts.

If it looks about right, it should be close enough. Be like water. Save the rigid crap for if/when you take up instrument flying.

Using a fixed table of power, that's a very poor way to teach flying the pattern as it doesn't allow for the variable of wind and pattern size. You aim for speeds and configurations and use various power settings as rate of descent requirements dictate.

It's a good exercise to make your own set of tables. Go stall the plane dirty at your typical flying weight, note the IAS speed. Go into the IAS-CAS chart and find the corresponding speed. Multiply that by 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.5; go back into the IAS-CAS table and get your appropriate IAS speeds.

Practicing at altitude:
Use 1.5 as your target downwind speed with first notch flaps/10°-15°, find your trim setting for this speed, mark it with some striping tape or white out, whatever. Find your power setting to maintain altitude at that speed, now roll in the second flap setting and see what happens, very likely you are going to slow a bit and pick up a rate of sink. Your minimum target speed is 1.3Vso and your maximum target sink is 500fpm, many planes this is very near the natural consequence of just adding flaps, if not find the power setting an trim changes required. This is the base leg so being really accurate on a speed isn't too critical, between 1.5&1.3 Vso is fine. Now roll in full flaps and slow down to 1.3 Vso and note how many flicks of the trim wheel it takes (if any) and what power setting it takes to maintain a 500fpm rate of descent. Next see how much trim to slow to 1.2 and then 1.1Vso, at this point you'll strictly be looking out the window for your rate of sink so power settings don't matter much.

Learn the sound for all your preliminary pattern power settings and learn to judge your rate of sink out the windshield by seeing if your target point rises (too much sink) or lowers (not enough sink) and learn to adjust with the throttle accordingly, because every landing you make will be different due to wind if nothing else. It's your judgement and throttle use that is the compensating factor between airspeed and ground speed.

Pitch for kinetic energy, power for profile.

Last edited:
I fly the 67' C150G often. I usually just pull power to 1500rpm, trim for 70-80mph, flaps as necessary and over the numbers slowly to idle and she steps-down gently on the ground.

The G has 40deg flaps, but I like the 30deg at touchdown. But whatever works for you.

I think the difference that's messing with my head, is that with a warrior there was no such thing as "flaps as necessary". The only time you landed without flaps was if the flaps were broken or dead stick. And any kind of short or soft field takeoff utilized the first one or two notches of flaps. Whereas the Cessna, flaps appear to be almost never desired on takeoff.

Flaps on a 150 are a great training tool, and should be used for that. However, they never do you any real good after that.

What good does it do to get into an airport that you can't get out of? They are not used for short field takeoff.

Further, they just cause more wear and tear on the airframe. If you've ever been a Cessna owner and had to pay for worn out flap tracks, you know what I mean.

They also slow you down, often in a busy environment where every other airplane is going faster.

The 150 is an outgrowth of the 120, which had no flaps and did just fine.

I think the difference that's messing with my head, is that with a warrior there was no such thing as "flaps as necessary". The only time you landed without flaps was if the flaps were broken or dead stick. And any kind of short or soft field takeoff utilized the first one or two notches of flaps. Whereas the Cessna, flaps appear to be almost never desired on takeoff.

150 is a very light airplane, it can land in well less than 2000 feet even with 0 flaps, with 40* flaps 1000 feet is more than enough, so runway lengths are not a problem, the flaps on the 150 with regard to takeoff are only useful for getting you off the ground, so if you're on a soft field and have got oodles of room to climb out go 10* otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot when there is an obstacle

And in my experience on a windy(crosswind) day, with 30* flaps the 150 is much harder to bring in, 40* flaps is a challenge

Flaps on a 150 are a great training tool, and should be used for that. However, they never do you any real good after that.

To each his own, I guess.

What about things like power off vs power on approaches? All my training before now was in a warrior and always 1500rpm until flaring. But the few training flights i had in a 152 (long before) were all chop and drop.

Hi Pedals2Paddles. In a C-150, you can land either way. You can do power off 180 landings or do an ILS approach at 90 kts until the runway is made or anywhere in between. Very versatile. I have flown a Cherokee, but not a Warrior, so cannot comment intelligently.

Biggest Con of no flap landings, extra energy on landing to make things go wrong with exponentially worse results. Kinetic energy increases with the square of speed. Kinetic energy is what dictates the maximum level of damage/injury sustainable.

Biggest Con of no flap landings, extra energy on landing to make things go wrong with exponentially worse results. Kinetic energy increases with the square of speed. Kinetic energy is what dictates the maximum level of damage/injury sustainable.

What he said.

Even the difference between 45k and 50k on touchdown could be significant if...

...a tire blows...

...or an axle breaks...

...or the nose gear collapses...

...or a deer runs out in your path.

The extra speed could mean the difference between...

...no injury and minor injury...

....or minor injury and serious injury...

...or serious injury and death.

I always ask, "How slow would you try to be if you knew one of those previously listed things would happen on your next landing?"

And the next question, "How do you know one of those things will NOT happen on your next landing?"

Anyway, maximum flaps as consistent with conditions is how I was taught, how I taught, and how I have flown my entire career.

Works for me!

Last edited:
Your most practiced landing should always be your minimum energy landing, that is the one you want to have down in your brain visuals, because that is the one you HAVE TO stick when it all goes wrong.

In my 150, 1975 M, I use 80 mph all the way down up until I hit the threshold, 0-40 degree flaps. I do agree with the 20 degrees max for a strong crosswind. I am at 1700 RPM on the downwind and base, 1500 on final, and take it all the way out when I know I'm going to make the landing safely. Do you have wheel pants? It makes a difference, to me at least. I put in the flaps when I'm comfortable, but never from 0-40 in one shot. I usually do the first 10 before I turn base, next 10 on the base, then last 10-20 on final (depending if I need them or not). I also use 80 for Vy, and use 65 for Vx.
Are you saying you fly 80 mph the whole landing until the threshold? That seems way fast. I was taught 90-80-70 mph in my '66 172-G and I'm 65 in the roundout or slightly less.

I would think you'd float forever. I'm not being facetious, just wondering if you truly meant 80 over the threshold in a 150? My flaps usage is identical to yours.

I never pay attention to specific rpms but fly it at 90-100mph in the pattern and 80mph on final then 60-70 over the numbers. Use power to control your airspeed and don't focus too much on the specific rpms.

Back