Certified Day/Night VFR, IFR.

Cpt_Kirk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ted Striker
If an aircraft was certified IFR when it was manufactured, but all IFR equipment was removed, is it still technically certified for IFR flight although not equipped?

My question is that when you reinstall IFR equipment, do you have to get it recertified since it was originally certified under its type certificate? Basically, the airplane is Day/Night VFR as of now because of the installed/inop equipment.

Not sure what you mean by "certified IFR"? To my understanding the only things that have to be "certified" for IFR flight are the accuracy of the altimeter and the integrity of the static system.

Not sure what you mean by "certified IFR"?

In the initial certification of the aircraft.

After a bit more research, all I would need to do would be to put IFR equipment back in it, get it within limits, and be good to go.

I guess I just had a brain fart for a couple of hours.

In the initial certification of the aircraft.

After a bit more research, all I would need to do would be to put IFR equipment back in it, get it within limits, and be good to go.
If by "get it within limits" you mean get the altimeter and static system to pass the 91.411 tests in addition to making sure all the 91.205(d)-required equipment is installed and operational, yes, that's all you'd need to do.

Back