certificate of aircraft registration

U

Unregistered

I sold my airplane through a broker. I left the plane with the broker until it sold, which it did last month.
Yesterday I received a letter from the FAA reminding me that by law I have to return the Certificate of Aircraft Registration with the back filled out. Oops. I plum forgot about that. This was my first aircraft sale. I am going to try to locate the buyer and see if it is still in the plane and see if he will return it to me, but I only have 20 days from yesterday to get this in. Am I in trouble? Even though I feel the broker should have overseen this, it is still my responsibility.

So, if you sell a plane, don't forget this important step.

"Burned up in the post crash fire. Sorry, bout that. Sold the data plate to..."

I learned that lesson buying my first airplane while trying to register it in my name. Previous owner hadn't done it and had left the country. FAA worked with me on it. I really don't know that it's a big deal if you forget, but remember, the FAA is trying to slim down their records and positively identify who owns what so it may be a hot button for them right now.

After using an FAA bill of sale and new application for registration for the transfer? I didn't surrender my registration for my last sold plane. I never heard a word. Did you use the FAA bill of sale form? The friend I sold my last plane to had been contacted like you about his previous plane, which did not use a bill of sale. I figured that must be the difference.

I sold my airplane through a broker. I left the plane with the broker until it sold, which it did last month.
Yesterday I received a letter from the FAA reminding me that by law I have to return the Certificate of Aircraft Registration with the back filled out. Oops. I plum forgot about that. This was my first aircraft sale. I am going to try to locate the buyer and see if it is still in the plane and see if he will return it to me, but I only have 20 days from yesterday to get this in. Am I in trouble? Even though I feel the broker should have overseen this, it is still my responsibility.

So, if you sell a plane, don't forget this important step.

Not a big deal if you can't manage to get it, send them a letter explaining the circumstances. The insurance company asked for the registration to the 310 when they totaled it and cut the check so I sent it to them. When the FAA asked for the old one I told them I didn't have it, the insurance company did, they just said "Ok, could you email a statement to that effect?" I did, and haven't heard anything since.

After using an FAA bill of sale and new application for registration for the transfer? I didn't surrender my registration for my last sold plane. I never heard a word. Did you use the FAA bill of sale form? The friend I sold my last plane to had been contacted like you about his previous plane, which did not use a bill of sale. I figured that must be the difference.

Guessing that's it.

Same here on the 185 I bought last year. I still have the old reg, sent in the reg and new bill of sale form, never heard a word about it, nor did the seller.

After using an FAA bill of sale and new application for registration for the transfer?
For any number of often unscrupulous reasons, some buyers don't file the bill of sale/apply for new registration. They just fly on your registration, and when something bad happens or the break the law (or both), the lawyers and law enforcement come looking for the registered owner, i.e., you. You may eventually clear yourself of involvement, but it's going to cost you time, money, and stress. So, never, ever let a buyer leave with your registration.

For any number of often unscrupulous reasons, some buyers don't file the bill of sale/apply for new registration. They just fly on your registration, and when something bad happens or the break the law (or both), the lawyers and law enforcement come looking for the registered owner, i.e., you. You may eventually clear yourself of involvement, but it's going to cost you time, money, and stress. So, never, ever let a buyer leave with your registration.

The bill of sale is my acknowledgement and consent of ownership transfer. I suspect that's all the FAA is looking for with the returned registration since the BOS is not a required document.

The bill of sale is my acknowledgement and consent of ownership transfer. I suspect that's all the FAA is looking for with the returned registration since the BOS is not a required document.
The Bill of Sale ("or an equivalent conveyance") is most definitely a required document to transfer of ownership/registration in a new name -- you can't register your new-to-you plane without it or similar documents. See 14 CFR 47.11 for details. I suspect the reason the FAA wants the seller to send in the old registration is so they can be on the lookout for the sorts of illegal activity in which some people may indulge with an airplane not registered to them.

Read the opening narrative. Optional.
The only option regarding the Bill of Sale is the substitution one of the specified alternate ownership proofs listed in the regulations I cited (of which a seller-signed registration certificate is not one). Otherwise, the buyer cannot register the plane without a Bill of Sale.

And yes, the OP is correct that it is legally his/her responsibility to ensure the old registration is returned. Certainly s/he can delegate that task to the broker, but not that legal responsibility, so if the broker fails to do it, the seller remains responsible to the FAA for that failure.

Whatever trips your trigger. My way worked just fine.

Take it up with somebody else. I'm bored.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back