Want To Buy Certain expired charts for trip

comancheflyer30

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dsc45shooter
Looking for some expired charts for a long xcountry as a backup in case ipad goes out.

San antonio
Houston
Memphis

Looking for some expired charts for a long xcountry as a backup in case ipad goes out.

San antonio
Houston
Memphis
Ummmm why? Every EFB I am aware of permits installation on a second device such as your phone. So why not use your phone if your tablet conks out?

And navigating with expired charts is not recommended. No easy way to tell what is different from the old one you’re looking at, and that change can be the one that jumps up and bites you.

Besides, paper sectionals are low cost. Why be a C.A.B. over $50 if you truly want paper?

And as far as tablet “going out”, it’s good you’re considering the risk. But that’s easily managed by bringing a battery brick to handle out on juice, and keeping it out of direct sunlight to handle thermal shutdown.

If your iPad craps the bed, then there you are, navigating with expired charts. I really don't think that's a good idea.

Sent from my FBI-approved monitoring device using Tapatalk

Don't have any expired charts for those areas.
But new ones are only $7.75 at MyPilotStore...with free shipping. Not too bad if you really want to keep sectionals.

I'd have to agree with others for the most part though.
Redundant devices and redundant power supply(s) are likely the best way to go.

I use both my cell phone and a cheap android tablet. Several of the cheaper android tablets have built in GPS.
Have Avare and FltPlanGo on my android devices for backup. Works a treat. And I have had to use it when the iPad wouldn't connect to GPS. (during a mock checkride)
As a suggestion, maybe see about borrowing one for the xcountry?

Whatever you decide, be safe, good luck, and enjoy the trip!

I would not go cheap. We're talking $20-25, right? The biggest change from one cart cycle to the next is the addition of towers. Yes, you can "navigate" with an expired chart, but why risk it?

I should have said these are going to be wrapping paper or something. Got to love forums. Almost as bad as facebook. No more peanut gallery responses please. I have two tablets for the flight. Disregard!

I should have said these are going to be wrapping paper or something. Got to love forums. Almost as bad as facebook. No more peanut gallery responses please. I have two tablets for the flight. Disregard!
Expired charts??!!! You’ll shoot your eye out kid!

Of course! And Ill have to watch for those new towers at around 10k'. Oh yeah they like move those airfields around constantly too.

Here's a San Antonio. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-Ww2-F...850ad92be:g:QCUAAOSwkvdaWyPX&autorefresh=true
s-l1600.jpg

Back