Century III Autopilots

I do plan to go see Matt when I get the time in the next couple of weeks and he has time.

I had a problem with altitude hold in my CIII. It turned out that the vibration isolators on the altitude canister had completely collapsed. To test the theory I stuck some foam under it to help with vibration. Solved the issue.
Where is the canister in a bonanza? Or what does it look like? And I’ll look for it.

Does anyone know whether the roll servos for the Century III AP will work with the Century 21 AP? I have a Dakota and recently lost roll servo function so I'm looking for a replacement part. 1C363-1-430R is the servo for the Century III (I believe) and also the AutoControl IIIB (which I think is similar...) We haven't pulled the rear seat to look at the servo p/n yet.

Get the POH supplement and check it for an extensive pre-flight check. Beyond that your best bet is to find someone familiar with the autopilot and connected systems and have them accompany you on a test flight.

Basics to cover:

Roll Axis:
Bank angle command, heading hold, heading change (move the bug 90° left and right), VOR/GPS intercept and tracking.

Pitch axis:
Pitch hold and altitude hold without porpoising, vertical speed, altitude pre-select, GS intercept and tracking to 200 AGL, go-around mode, and transition from climb/descent to altitude hold without offset (ends up staying at the altitude you were at when altitude hold was engaged instead of climbing or descending 50 feet or more).

Pitch trim:
Manual trim works in both directions, auto trim responds to power changes and pitch or VS commands.

Perhaps someone could give some direction. Anyone ever had a problem where the aircraft roll left and right to roughly 30 degrees aggressively. Back and forth without pause. Happens to me yesterday and not sure where to look for the problem. Century 3c on Seneca 2, Aspen pro, Garmin 530W and a steam powered artificial horizon as a backup. Took it up flying the next day, no problem. But, flying IMC and it happens is and was not fun.

Back