Central Texas destinations

djm181

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
David
Hi,

I'm based at GTU (Georgetown TX, near Austin) and I've done all the obvious $100 meals: 11R, T82, AQO, SEP.

Does anyone have suggestions for new places to try? :dunno:

Cheers
David

Try Port Aransas, (KRAS), College Station (KCLL) and go grab a burger at the Dixie Chicken, Stinson (KSSF) has a restaurant on the field.

Cedar Mills, 3T0. Take swim trunks or a fishin pole and some sunscreen. Breakfast is good at Cedar Mills.

HYI is doing Fly-in burgers every Saturday for the next month or so. Saturdays 11am-1pm. Also, have you checked the SocialFlight App? There's great get together's that we try and go to. That app might give you some good spots too. :)

Stinson Field (San Antonio) has a great on-field restaurant.

Lake Jackson (LBX) does as well.

Lockhart has amazing barbecue.

And, of course, flying into Port Aransas on Mustang Island (RAS) is unlike anything else in Texas. Amazing seafood, and I've heard there's a nice place to stay there, too. :D

My list would be Mustang Island - Stinson - Lake Jackson - Brenham - Fredericksburg - Lockhart - Stephenville

In order of my favorite foods. Ymmw.

And with some of the best fuel prices in the area within ~10 miles.

Cedar Mills, 3T0. Take swim trunks or a fishin pole and some sunscreen. Breakfast is good at Cedar Mills.

Try Port Aransas, (KRAS), College Station (KCLL) and go grab a burger at the Dixie Chicken, Stinson (KSSF) has a restaurant on the field.

The Chicken in College Station is a great one...... My memories of it are not from flying to and from there though haha. (It's a great place to go before going to Northgate(bars) or seeing a great Texas Country band at Harry's or The Tap)

Stinson Field (San Antonio) has a great on-field restaurant.

Lake Jackson (LBX) does as well.

Lockhart has amazing barbecue.

And, of course, flying into Port Aransas on Mustang Island (RAS) is unlike anything else in Texas. Amazing seafood, and I've heard there's a nice place to stay there, too. :D

I live and fly out of LBX and have yet to try the restaurant. Is it really that good? I'm only at about 23 hours into getting my PPL and havn't wandered over there yet haha.

Lockhart, lockhart and Lockhart.

Smitty's, blacks and kreutz's Some of the purest just plain good ole smoking, barbecue cooked by masters! Some of the best. I fully intend next month when I fly family to San Antonio to Sea World to fly to Lockhart when we depart.

Good Luck,

Last edited:
The Chicken in College Station is a great one...... My memories of it are not from flying to and from there though haha. (It's a great place to go before going to Northgate(bars) or seeing a great Texas Country band at Harry's or The Tap)

When I was a young Aggie, I remember getting my grub on at the Cow Hop. Now there was a really good burger for broke college kid prices. I think $4.00 got you a cheeseburger, fries and drink and if you walked away hungry, it was your own dang fault.

And I still have my fish spurs made from the bottle caps in the alley next to the Dixie Chicken.

When I was a young Aggie, I remember getting my grub on at the Cow Hop. Now there was a really good burger for broke college kid prices. I think $4.00 got you a cheeseburger, fries and drink and if you walked away hungry, it was your own dang fault.

And I still have my fish spurs made from the bottle caps in the alley next to the Dixie Chicken.

:yeahthat::cheers:

Thanks for all the great ideas folks. This should keep me busy for a while :)

Class of '96- between The Chicken, Cow Hop, and Freebirds you could eat like a king for little or nothing. I miss that place....

Class of '96- between The Chicken, Cow Hop, and Freebirds you could eat like a king for little or nothing. I miss that place....

Fortunately, Freebirds is still around and expanding...

Class of 88.. back when the band was xy chromosome only and Bonfire was always at Duncan Field. When Kyle Field still had a horseshoe, you could order pizza to the 50-yard line, and we were permitted to fire a fully packed 75mm shell in the Spirit of '02 and not get in trouble for it*. Was a member of Squadron 13 (Go Ugly Early!) and Parson's Mounted Cavalry.

Photo of me and my fellow sergebutts harassing some of our seniors. I'm the second from the right in the foreground.

una9ema7.jpg

* well, there was this one time when we returned a polo ball found at Fiddler's Green back to the polo team's barn... balistically.

I live and fly out of LBX and have yet to try the restaurant. Is it really that good?
Yes, it is. They use fresh ingredients for all their stuff (no Sysco frozen cutlets or canned veggies), and supposedly they have really good pies. I wouldn't know, because I'm usually there at dinner time, and they're always sold out!

One of the best kept secrets in general aviation: the Skyline Cafe next to the control tower at Tyler Pounds KTYR.

Yes, it is. They use fresh ingredients for all their stuff (no Sysco frozen cutlets or canned veggies), and supposedly they have really good pies. I wouldn't know, because I'm usually there at dinner time, and they're always sold out!

The food, service, and airport at Lake Jackson (LBX) are all top-notch.

Why, I think we may fly there for dinner tomorrow! :D

I checked my Foreflight and its not listed, could it have changed names or is it that gooda secret? ;-D
:dunno:

One of the best kept secrets in general aviation: the Skyline Cafe next to the control tower at Tyler Pounds KTYR.

I will have to try it out sometime. They almost have the new FBO built here. Looks nice!

We flew to Lake Jackson Monday and I had their outstanding poblano soup and chicken fried chicken. Absolutely fantastic.

As usual, Amelia drew the kids. Here's a pic I snapped from our table...

edude9up.jpg

Well, just finished a chicken fried chicken sandwich in CLL at Dixie Chicken. Excellent recommendation :)

do you know Quinn at Awesome? Lots of people did not say nice things about him, but I found him helpful and enjoyable.
I flew his 172 for a brief period.

I drive to College Station every week, would you like to fly in an I will to and we can do a lunch sometime. Or dinner

Hi,

I'm based at GTU (Georgetown TX, near Austin) and I've done all the obvious $100 meals: 11R, T82, AQO, SEP.

Does anyone have suggestions for new places to try? :dunno:

Cheers
David

Lockhart, lockhart and Lockhart.

Smitty's, blacks and kreutz's Some of the purest just plain good ole smoking, barbecue cooked by masters! Some of the best. I fully intend next month when I fly family to San Antonio to Sea World to fly to Lockhart when we depart.

Good Luck,

I always stop when I drive to San Antonio. I have been wanting to fly in but I was not sure how to get to the bbq joints. Does Lockhart international have a crew car?

I always stop when I drive to San Antonio. I have been wanting to fly in but I was not sure how to get to the bbq joints. Does Lockhart international have a crew car?
Yes, it does. I drove the "BBQ Patrol" Suburban into town yesterday to visit Kreutz's. (I think there's lots of competition for it on the weekends, though, so it might not be there when you show up.)

KERV.....go to Cowboy Steakhouse downtown on Fri. or Sat. for Prime rib.....and pie!!!!!

Back