Central sleep apnea on home test

NY-FLYER

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NY-FLYER
Sorry for all the sleep apnea questions I am researching but I’m coming up short on the topic of CSA with OSA. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 4 years ago and with CPAP my AHI is a 2.7 for the last 365 days. Before setting up my exam for my 3rd class medical I spoke to my local AME and he told me the FAA will want a recent sleep study typically within the last year for the initial paperwork.

I went ahead and ordered a type II sleep study from singular sleep. I found it strange they ask for no Info like have you already been diagnosed or do you use CPAP. I get the test kit and you are supposed to sleep with it for at least 6 hours to get good data. Well I barely get 2 hours of sleep because I am so accustomed to sleeping with CPAP now that I have the absolute worse sleep I’ve ever had. This is compounded by the fact that before CPAP I was a stomach sleeper and after I now sleep mostly on my back and of course apnea is far worse on your back when I’m not wearing my nasal mask.

I called the company told them I couldn’t sleep and they say to do a second night which honestly didn’t go much better I maybe got 3 or 4 hours of very horrible sleep with all the wires and stuff on me. I sent the machine back and they email me my results and it shows severe Complex apnea with 63.3 AHI and also it states I was showing primary diagnosis of OSA but showing underlying etiologies of central apnea’s as well. I found no section showing the number for central but we found a section for CA which from what I’ve found stands for clear airway apneas which could possibly be categorized as central in some cases.

I’m now not sure what to do do I try and do an actual in lab test? I honestly doubt how accurate this test could be with the sleep I got and I’m wondering since I’m already on CPAP was I supposed to do some other kind of test that combines my CPAP into the test? I’m worried if I use these test results I will automatically be disqualified as it shows the small amount of central apnea’s.

I find it strange that it shows 10% of my apnea’s per hour being central because from what I’ve read CPAP doesn’t treat this so wouldn’t my cpap AHI data show untreated apnea’s? It’s very strange my CPAP data doesn’t show these clear airway apnea’s being inflated. I tried looking through the FAA site but don’t find much that has to do with Central Apnea or what the guidelines are. I’m wondering what other people who have used these home tests have seen. I’m also curious if others have seen these small amounts of possible central apnea’s.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back