Central Coast of CA to KSNA - best route?

Bryan Archambeault

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bryan Archambeault
I'm based out of San Luis Obispo, CA - KSBP. My boss works in Irvine, right next to John Wayne / Orange County Airport - KSNA. He'd like me to come down to that office for a couple days, and I'd rather fly than drive. It's only about an hour an a half as the crow flies, but that straight line would take me through the heart of LAX Class B.

Would it be better for me to stay north of the Bravo, then head south around KPOC, or would it be better to take one of the LAX Special Flight Rules routes along the coast?

I've used the coastal route to/from Santa Maria and San Diego. That will have you positioned nicely for John Wayne. If clouds don't allow the coastal route, the coliseum route is a bit higher, and the special flight rules area a bit lower. I don't know if they are offering the mini route these days.

Coastal will be beautiful - use LAX Coastal or Mini Route to stay connected to ATC...

If you decide to stay North and East of LAX, go to EMT to EHVOX (stay below the Bravo) to SNA.

Thanks everyone who responded. Looks like the coastal route is the way to go (weather permitting). Otherwise, I'll go with my original plan.

I'm based out of San Luis Obispo, CA - KSBP. My boss works in Irvine, right next to John Wayne / Orange County Airport - KSNA. He'd like me to come down to that office for a couple days, and I'd rather fly than drive. It's only about an hour an a half as the crow flies, but that straight line would take me through the heart of LAX Class B.

Would it be better for me to stay north of the Bravo, then head south around KPOC, or would it be better to take one of the LAX Special Flight Rules routes along the coast?

Getting a clearance through LA Bravo is not hard via the coastal route.. South of Santa Barbara you'll be handed of to Pt Mugu, make the request with them, or they'll hand you off to So Cal (128.75 I think) earlier to accommodate this.

Back