Centerline lights[

tree96

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
tree96
Listening to Airline Pilot Guy podcast to pass the work day today. This question was posed in an episode a few weeks ago and in the most recent one.

What determines the side to which runway centerline lights are offset? It's one of those things I never really thought about until he brought it up but now I'd like to know. Any ideas?

I have heard this before, not sure if true. Offset to side away from normal turns toward terminal.

Then you have lead off lights going off on the high speed exits, those lights are on the other side of center then the centerline of the turn off.

Some mention the offset makes it easier to repaint the centerline. Most of these lights have the corresponding 'turtle shell' one can bump along all the way to VR.

More pertinent, is there isn't a requirement to hit every one on the T/O or landing roll. Just barely offset to the upwind side works for me. Of course hitting a few is no big deal, the plane can handle it.

I have heard this before, not sure if true. Offset to side away from normal turns toward terminal.

Then you have lead off lights going off on the high speed exits, those lights are on the other side of center then the centerline of the turn off.

Some mention the offset makes it easier to repaint the centerline. Most of these lights have the corresponding 'turtle shell' one can bump along all the way to VR.

More pertinent, is there isn't a requirement to hit every one on the T/O or landing roll. Just barely offset to the upwind side works for me. Of course hitting a few is no big deal, the plane can handle it.

The new lights are set up like that here... Personally I don't see them as an advantage as they were not bright when new, and since we get snow 9 months out of the year the airport operators really destroy the lens's when they broom the runway several times a day to remove ice... Those brooms are steel bristles and have the light covers so scratched up light barely gets through...:redface::redface:...

They are handy on low vis take off's and landings though, as long as the nose wheel is hitting them, you know you are right on center of the runway...;).. Well , 1 foot to one side anyway...;)

The new lights are set up like that here... Personally I don't see them as an advantage as they were not bright when new, and since we get snow 9 months out of the year the airport operators really destroy the lens's when they broom the runway several times a day to remove ice... Those brooms are steel bristles and have the light covers so scratched up light barely gets through...:redface::redface:...

They are handy on low vis take off's and landings though, as long as the nose wheel is hitting them, you know you are right on center of the runway...;).. Well , 1 foot to one side anyway...;)

You figure Jackson Hole would be able to afford diamond lenses for the centerline lights.

You figure Jackson Hole would be able to afford diamond lenses for the centerline lights.

They spend it all on the airport director and assistant directors salaries. Over 1/2 mil a year...:eek:....:redface:......:mad2::mad2::mad2:

FAA Advisory Circular 150/5340-30D would be were to look. Looking at this Brief. I think they are going to be on the opposite sides of the runway lead in lights.

I don't know, the centerline is always out of service when I fly.

Back