Centennial - 182 Fatal

A quick, ugly, and unfortunate end.

RIP

Departure stall? Was there something nearby he had to climb to get over?

Nothing obvious; there's a self-storage facility and industrial park under the departure path, and no NOTAMs for cranes or other obstacles during that time. Looks like he impacted in a clearing north of a FedEx Ground facility.

Somewhat oddly, APA Tower feeds on LiveATC give no apparent indication that anyone knew it had crashed. The tower clears N727PC for takeoff from Runway 10 while also managing traffic on the 35s, and later advises the next departure to keep the Cessna in sight. An FAA Flight Check plane is later cleared to land on 28.

https://archive.liveatc.net/kapa/KAPA2-Twr1-Aug-09-2022-1830Z.mp3 (relevant comms begin at 18:25)

I wonder if the lack of fire is a clue?

Probably not. Most 182s (1978 and earlier) are bladder tanks and post crash fires are not common.

Sadly, if I had to guess, departure stall or stall-spin after trying to turn back. I witnessed one of those a few years ago, and the wreck looks too familiar.

Probably not. Most 182s (1978 and earlier) are bladder tanks and post crash fires are not common.

Sadly, if I had to guess, departure stall or stall-spin after trying to turn back. I witnessed one of those a few years ago, and the wreck looks too familiar.
This was a 1980 182Q with wet wings.

RIP to the pilot. :( It’s always sobering when this happens at my home airport even though I didn’t know this gentleman.

This was a 182 with the King Katmai conversion with the 300 HP engine according to pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP to the pilot. :( It’s always sobering when this happens at my home airport even though I didn’t know this gentleman.

This was a 182 with the King Katmai conversion with the 300 HP engine according to pictures.

Can you post a link to those pics? I’m a bit more interested in this one because I fly a Peterson plane. If I’m not mistaken, I believe there had “only” been 1 fatal in a canard converted 182 over the last 40-some years they’ve been flying.

I thought I had seen evidence of a canard in the crash photo but assumed it was from the empennage.

One has to wonder if the STOL capabilities and the 300 HP engine are related to what appears to be a departure stall accident. I found this bit in an article about the modifications.

The King Katmai rapidly accelerates to 60 knots indicated and requires substantial nose-down trim to maintain the increased speed. Loaded to approximately 400 pounds below gross weight, on a 60-degree day, we observed rates of climb of 1500 FPM with flaps at 20 degrees and 60 knots indicated. With flaps retracted and a climb speed of 90 knots selected, the rate of climb was 1700 FPM.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I’m no aviation forensics guy, but looks pretty nosed-in.

I just can’t fathom a departure stall in a Katmai if the engine is making rated power. In these planes I’d have expected a hard mush pancake or rear hit, assuming you’re hauling back on the control wheel but coordinated. I suppose it’s possible, but I’ve never witnessed that behavior (nose down) in a power-on stall, and I have 40 less horsepower and no Wing-X extensions.

Structural failure? Engine out? Pilot incapacitation? Extreme pilot inputs and accelerated stall?

Last edited:
FlightAware ADSB shows only 2 pings, first at 77 kts the next at 62 kts, both at 5,700 ft pressure altitude (KAPA departure end of Rwy 10 is shown as TDZE of 5,813 on the RNAV 28 plate).

So decelerating horizontally and not climbing, as in the start of a departure stall. If the 2 ADSB hits are accurate and 2 points determine a trend...

FlightAware ADSB shows only 2 pings, first at 77 kts the next at 62 kts, both at 5,700 ft pressure altitude (KAPA departure end of Rwy 10 is shown as TDZE of 5,813 on the RNAV 28 plate).

So decelerating horizontally and not climbing, as in the start of a departure stall. If the 2 ADSB hits are accurate and 2 points determine a trend...
DA around here at that time would have been close to 9000 or possibly more.

DA around here at that time would have been close to 9000 or possibly more.

Ya know, that’s a big factor. I could see it happening now. Thin air, different behavior than I’m used to.

Ya know, that’s a big factor. I could see it happening now. Thin air, different behavior than I’m used to.

If the pilot is based in that area, it is hard to believe that DA could have been a factor.

Possible wind shear or wake turbulence as other possibilities?

I wonder if the lack of fire is a clue?

It would indeed appear so.

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/105704/pdf

"A post-accident examination of the airplane revealed a nose-low, low-speed impact with terrain, consistent with an aerodynamic stall. There was no fuel in either wing tank. The fuel system header tank contained about ½ pint of fuel. There was no fuel in the fuel lines leading to the engine."

Also of note, the pilot was operating the plane with just 1.2 hours logged toward a five-hour checkout in it. The owner seemed under the assumption he'd completed the checkout.

Last edited:
It would indeed appear so.

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/105704/pdf

"A post-accident examination of the airplane revealed a nose-low, low-speed impact with terrain, consistent with an aerodynamic stall. There was no fuel in either wing tank. The fuel system header tank contained about ½ pint of fuel. There was no fuel in the fuel lines leading to the engine."

Also of note, the pilot was operating the plane with just 1.2 hours logged toward a five-hour checkout in it. The owner seemed under the assumption he'd completed the checkout.

1.2 hours -- two months ago.

We really are creating better idiots. What a waste.

"...There was no fuel in either wing tank. The fuel system header tank contained about ½ pint of fuel. There was no fuel in the fuel lines leading to the engine."
... just 1.2 hours logged toward a five-hour checkout in it.
This goes beyond poor ADM into Germanwings territory. At least he didn't take any innocent passengers with him. Agreed, a waste.

Back