Cellular One

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Just wanted to pass my unpleasant dealings with Cellular one along to you all. I signed a two year contract with them last year. their service was fine until about a month ago, when I started to receive a lot of "network busy..try again" recordings. As of two weeks ago, my service became so bad, that I would not receive calls and would not receive the voice mail from those missed calls for almost 24hours. I use my phone for my business and found this unacceptable. So I contacted the local store who I have been dealing with and was told to contact an 800 number to explain why I was leaving their service and request that they give me a break on my buyout. So I call their 800 number and the gentleman who answers my call tells me, well I see you have had service this month and made some calls, so I cant help you. If you want out of your contract its going to cost you 240.00.
I have already switched to Sprint and so far have got great service. It just really ****es me off that a company like cellular one, can give such crappy service then expect to not be held responsible for it. they will take 240.00 off my credit card, I will not dispute it because I don't want any bad marks on my business credit, however, I am thinking of suing them just for the principle of the whole thing. GRRRR.

I guess if I have any advise to pass on it would be..Don't use Cellular One.

Michael

Someone is still doing business as Cellular One? When I had my business, I used them (roughly 1992 and later). They were bought out around 1994 I think, and then that company became/was acquired by Verison. Never really did like them much.

I switched to Sprint in around 2000, after having closed my business. Was unhappy at first (tons of dropped calls) but that got better over the next few years. On balance now, I am quite happy with them. One of the best parts? NO CONTRACT (they don't offer my current plan anymore.....). I hate that buyout crap. Ludicrous if you ask me, the congresscritters oughtta do something useful and pass a law against it (automatic renewal was the thing I found really evil!).

I hear you Michael - I had a very similar thing happen with Voicestream (before they became T-Mobile). I was very distraught with the whole experience, and it actually kept me using a company called cricket for a while (no contracts, unlimited local calls).

I finally took a chance with Sprint about 2 1/2 years ago, and have had very little problems at all with them. I had a phone start to die on me that caused similar problems, but they replaced it for me, and I've been fine ever since.

I think you'll like Sprint. With the new Nextel merger, great things are on Sprint's horizon. Only one downside - had ya waited until September 1st, you would have gotten some pretty crazy specials because of the merger (including First Incoming Minute Free).

At least now you can call me or vice versa without wasting minutes :)

I also have had Sprint over the last 4 years. They have been fine for the most part. Before them was Nextel and they sucked big time. So I am not happy to see them joined together now.

NickDBrennan said:
I hear you Michael - I had a very similar thing happen with Voicestream (before they became T-Mobile). I was very distraught with the whole experience, and it actually kept me using a company called cricket for a while (no contracts, unlimited local calls).

I finally took a chance with Sprint about 2 1/2 years ago, and have had very little problems at all with them. I had a phone start to die on me that caused similar problems, but they replaced it for me, and I've been fine ever since.

I think you'll like Sprint. With the new Nextel merger, great things are on Sprint's horizon. Only one downside - had ya waited until September 1st, you would have gotten some pretty crazy specials because of the merger (including First Incoming Minute Free).

At least now you can call me or vice versa without wasting minutes :)

The key to beating a telecommunication contract is to complain every single time you have an issue. All carriers have Service Level Agreements of some sort. Once you establish a history of bad service, fighting it becomes much easier and, more often than not, you'll win.

Unfortunately, one month isn't long enough to establish that kind of history. Two would be better but three plus would be best. And for someone that uses it for business (like I do as well), it's too long to wait.

Michael said:
Just wanted to pass my unpleasant dealings with Cellular one along to you all. I signed a two year contract with them last year. Michael
Mistake!

When I lost my Verizon cell in Tahoe last week, I drove to Carson City to get the phone shutout and a new phone turned on. They can't access an "east" account. They said I couldn't open a new account as I already had one. So I spent cloing hours on the store phone to Verizon "East". They had trouble shutting it off (they were talking on it); then they said "do you own the new phone". I didn't. I grabbed the manager of the store by the scruff and said "it's in the manager's hands right now" and read them the code number off the top of the box.

The manager said "don't I want the two year contract and upgrade, the phone is then free?" I said, NO! you are a scary company. Besides, when I get the "all lines busy" message, I have no control over the situation. So, $300 later I was out of the store.

If you are not free to leave, you have no influence over the company when they give you sh_t service. You are mortgaged. Don't do it.

Dont make my blood boil by mentioning C.O!!
grrrrrrr--> -->rrrr!

I called to cancel month to month service and recorded all the details of the call, name number, date, etc etc then three months later I am getting dunning notices, a situation which cannot be resolved despite hours on the phone and my pointed (but unanswered) question, "If I still have the phone in use, please name ONE phone call I have made on it in the last 90 days - I told you it was busted, broken, kaput and you can't have any calls on your log."

My final sentence to them was, "Fine. If you want to pursue this I will be more than happy to show my documentation, and explain my side to a judge; let's go"

There. I feel better. Just don't anyone bring up the texas electric company that I had the PUC penalize last year.

These companies are taking years off our lives through their incompetance.

bbchien said:
If you are not free to leave, you have no influence over the company when they give you sh_t service. You are mortgaged. Don't do it.

They are all that way. I just dumped Cingular (on the old AT&T TDMA service with analog roaming) - After Cingular bought AT&T they started shutting down the TDMA service and "encouraging" customers to go over to their GSM service. Well, I fly into some rural airports where TDMA won't work.

Sprint and Verizon are the only two that offer the analog roam. Sprint is the only one to provide a chip for international roaming, Verizon will rent you or sell you a whole phone.

Sprint insisted on a 2 year contract - they had just modified their plans to eliminate the one-year deal - and I said "no, I refuse to do anything longer than 1 year". ANd Sprint charges a lot for call forwarding.

So Verizon it was. We argued over phones - I wanted a Motorola that I could still use my existing accessories. The only one they had was a camera phone. VZ has their phones locked down so you have to pay them $0.25 a picture to get (lousy) photos off the phone, and you can't upload your own ringtones, you have to buy them from Verizon. They've crippled bluetooth to force you into using their more expensive services. I use the phone for voice only, nothing fancy.

So Verizon it is. When I start traveling internationally again, I will get a T-Moble chip (I own a universal phone already) because they have the best and least expensive worldwide coverage.

A lot of folks are mad with Verizon. There was an interview with a senior executive of Verizon that basically said "we don't care about the customers needs". And all the carriers have put arbitration clauses in the contracts to prevent you from suing them. This is an example of where I feel tort reform will lead to abuses in the market place.

Back