Cellular networks will probably crap out during the eclipse

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Just in case you were thinking you'd use the iPad for weather or filing flight plans... the rural cellular carriers in the path of the totality are warning not to attempt to live stream it, and it's likely it'll just sucketh mightily.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/cellphone-service-spotty-rural-eclipse-watchers-48933813

Being a rural cellular customer, I can confirm that the "Rural Broadband Tax" y'all pay on every one of your phone bills... yeah, um, no. Not happening. No idea where it's going but it ain't going here.

:)

This sounds like yet another "find something to worry about" news item, carrying on the legacy of Y2K.
Now we return to regular programming...

A stream of the eclipse is likely going to be pretty low bandwidth. It doesn't happen THAT fast.

If you want to do this, by the way, you want to put a 5x neutral density filter on your camera before you point it at the sun for any appreciable time. You then remove it (or use a different camera) during totality. I did all this when I worked a previous total eclipse.

Millions of people trying to stream eh eclipse could stretch the bandwidth, no doubt.

That's why I always campaign for capping bandwidth of all the FecesBooks live morons who feel that they are the most important divas in the universe. And save some BW for normal people, please.

But duly noted, I better be near WiFi if I need to file on the 21st.

Now ... any cults planning mass "departures" for the 21st?

Ooh I hope so. Nobody gets the Nike shoes on feet that are lying down and a "Just Do It" Nike saying underneath them joke anymore. :)
Oh I remember that one! :D
Too bad it was pulled due to some ve-jay-jay ******* who cried wolf. It was a funny one for sure.
The dreaded bored housewives have to spoil the fun for all of us. :(

Back