Cellphone: mo to mo or 2yr contract[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
My contract ran out with ATT and now Im on month to month. I can see no huge benefit to going back on a contract, the rates are not better.
Our only other choice is Verizon, but that has some drawbacks so I'll probably stick to ATT.
If I go on a contract, I can get a new phone but I suspect that is about a 30$ value, whoopie. The old phone is tiring (battery, buttons), so is it worthwhile to get locked into a contract over a new phone?

Currently paying about $95/mo for 2 phones, 700mins incl unlimited weekends/unlimited mob2mob/ includes 200 texts/$5.

What is GSM/GPRS, do I need it? Occasionally leave the country. No internetting.

What is GSM/GPRS, do I need it? Occasionally leave the country. No internetting.
If you are on AT&T you are on GSM with GPRS already. GSM is what your voice is being carrier with and the GPRS handles some of your data. If you send multimedia messages you are most likely using GPRS, possibly EDGE depending on your phone model.

GSM has the largest coverage for voice around the world. Most phones these days are quad banded so that they will work everywhere on the planet where there is coverage.

Stay AWAY from a Verizon subsidized phone, they just jacked up their early termination fees. You can't get out without huge fees.

If you are likely to stay with your carrier for a long time, then consider a one-year contract and getting a partially subsidized phone.
Whatever you do, consider just buying an unsubsidized phone and no contract.

If you are on AT&T you are on GSM with GPRS already.

Something doesn't make sense, Scott - some of the phones ATT offers are either with, or without GSM/GPRS. I suppose I will just try to stick to those that have it out of ignorance.

Something doesn't make sense, Scott - some of the phones ATT offers are either with, or without GSM/GPRS. I suppose I will just try to stick to those that have it out of ignorance.
Bad marketing on their part. AT&T is a GSM network. GSM refers to the physical RF layer that is used over the air. ALL of their phones must support it. I am also surprised that anyphone would be sold without GPRS as it is needed for multimedia messaging and the chipset vendors lump that support together on their silicon already. GSM and GPRS go together like peas and carrots to quote Forest Gump. The add ons will be Edge, UMTS (3G), etc.

Which phone do they show without it?

I had a falling out with Verizon, then decided I was tired of contracts. I switched first to MetroPCS (great service where it works, but it doesn't work in very many places unless you pay through the nose for roaming); and then to Boost Mobile.

I've been using Boost Mobile for a few months now, and I must say that the voice and text services have been excellent. The voice quality is very good, and the PTT walkie-talkie comes in handy (especially because my most important client uses Nextel, which is Boost's parent company).

I've gotten good signal almost everywhere I've used the Boost phone so far, which consist of a roughly 175-mile radius from New York City. Not that there are no dead zones at all, but the overall signal availability is better than I had with Verizon. YMMV.

I even had a signal a quarter-mile down the road from my parents' home -- and where they live is where hillbillies mean when they talk about someone being "out in the sticks."

On the down side, the Web service is slow and klunky, the display (on the Motorola Clutch phone, at least) is low-res, and none of the Boost phones support POP3 email.

But for unlimited basic voice, text, and picture message services, I think $50.00 a month with good signal and no contract is pretty decent.

-Rich

Dave, I represent some clients in the cellular industry they generally tell me that the contracts get you lower rates than the pre pay or month to month. That said month to month can go two ways. First is you go in and get a phone but no contract second is you have a contract that expires. Sounds like you have the second. My experience at least with Verizon is that they will keep the same rate after your contract expires. Where I am you only get ATT for two reasons 1) you want the iPhone or 2) You travel over seas a lot. The quality of the phone service or voice with Verizon's Network here is superior to ATTs in my opinion. My sister lives in SF and travels to Aisa and Europe a lot so ATT is almost a necessity for her. Verizon dosen't give near the service overseas as ATT.

As for the techincal stuff Scott is really the man on that issue. But FWIW you can find great deals on ebay for reconditiond phones for almost any carrier at a fraction of the cost you can buy them new. We were very happy with a reconditioned Treo 755p that we bought on ebay. Your carrier should help you get your old number programed into the new phone.

Last edited:
I've been with Verizon for some time and have no complaints. Of course, I've got a Moto world phone hanging on my belt, so it works anywhere. Now, if they just had a world phone version of the Android from Motorola, I'd be all over that right now.

Back