Cello in the Front and Airbags

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I'll let you know how this goes, but I have to make a trip with my wife and cello (my second wife, in a way) in a C172. That's the smallest airplane I've done this in, and I don't think the instrument will fit in the back, so that will be my wife's domain.

Though it might be logical to have an instrument in the front, since I will be on an instrument flight plan (come on--you know you laughed!), I'm thinking of how to secure it. Normally, I'd just strap her in, but on the remote (hopefully impossible) chance that the airbag deploys for whatever reason, it could damage the cello. If you aren't sure why that isn't such a big deal, let me put it this way: the instrument is worth much more than my car, but less than the airplane.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes; but in the meantime, I'm hoping the Saratoga becomes free!

Ben, to strap the cello in place just use some torn sheets that are soft or some scarves all tied together. It will be in it's case won't it? Surely. In which case it doesn't much matter I guess if the ties are soft and not scratchy or not. Won't it bump the ceiling - could you take the seat out? They do come out.

Ben, to strap the cello in place just use some torn sheets that are soft or some scarves all tied together. It will be in it's case won't it? Surely. In which case it doesn't much matter I guess if the ties are soft and not scratchy or not. Won't it bump the ceiling - could you take the seat out? They do come out.

Thanks! I wanted to take the back seats out, but since it is a rental, the flight school might not be to amenable to that idea. But I guess I should ask!

It might be easier to take the right front seat out and then the cello could "sit" on the right side leaning up against the back seat and tied in place securely and your wife could sit behind you - or maybe the cello could just be on the floor with the fat part sticking out and the top of it - where your fingers go under the back seat... I'm trying to imagine the shape and size here - probably wouldn't work as the bottom part of a cello in the case is pretty wide and wouldn't fit that way .... Hmmm, when you figure it out, post a picture if you can. Curious.

The 172 may be of a year when the seat is removable per the TCDS. Thus it would only require a socket wrench and it's perfectly legal to remove. If it's not of the correct year, however, you need not inquire at the owners'.......

When I travel with my Bart Reiter banjo it is in a Calton custom case. I could drag that thing behind the airplane and the instrument inside would not be harmed.

The 172 may be of a year when the seat is removable per the TCDS. Thus it would only require a socket wrench and it's perfectly legal to remove. If it's not of the correct year, however, you need not inquire at the owners'.......

That's my concern. But I guess it can't hurt to ask!

When I travel with my Bart Reiter banjo it is in a Calton custom case. I could drag that thing behind the airplane and the instrument inside would not be harmed.

There are a couple of similar cases for cellos. I would like to have one someday, but they start at $2,500!

On my 172 the airbag is disabled when the belt is unlatched. Could you use some tie-down straps instead of the belt?

Kevin

is the instrument insured? is it replaceable? odds are any event that will trigger the airbag is going to damage the cello anyway, i would think.

Of course he has it insured. He's a professional. Trouble is, most Guarneri and Strads are irreplaceable.

I think he needs to take a wrench to the backseat.......

is the instrument insured? is it replaceable? odds are any event that will trigger the airbag is going to damage the cello anyway, i would think.

Good point. If things deteriorate to the point where the airbags are going off, what happens to the cello probably isn't real high on the list of things to worry about.

But I would make sure it's securely strapped down so it couldn't interfere with the controls in case of turbulence.

Of course he has it insured. He's a professional. Trouble is, most Guarneri and Strads are irreplaceable.

yea, thats pretty easy. 7/16" socket if i remember right. we used to take them out a lot for photo work.

Maybe take up Violin? Allright, compromise, Viola.

:D

If you tie it to the roof, make sure to hang a red rag off the end of it.

And post pictures.

When I was little (like 9), my mom once said "Honey guess what? I bought you a cello!" I thought she said "jello" and was excited.... and then disappointed.

How about a shipping service...and you can have it insured.

There are a couple of similar cases for cellos. I would like to have one someday, but they start at $2,500!
If the instrument is worth as much as you say it seems like a $2500 case would be a no brainer.

I'm thinking I really should do that. I -wish- I had a Guarneri or Strad, but they are in the millions of dollars now. . . .

If the instrument is worth as much as you say it seems like a $2500 case would be a no brainer.

It is a . . . partial brainer? Only because my current case is a $1500 deal, and it is -almost- as good.

I do have it insured, but this instrument was actually commissioned by me by a maker who has now become a famous maker for the best in the business. (I caught her when she was just on the rise, and therefore saved a bundle!) The insurance I have would cover it, but now the maker has a 4-year waiting list!

LOL. Isn't there a pic floating around of a plane dragging a cinder block on a chain by the tail tie-down? I can't find it...

Ben,

I can't imagine that a cello will fit well in the FRONT seat of a 172 either. Facing forward, I think it'd be all the way across the front of the right seat and well across the front of the seat. Sideways, you might have issues with yoke movement. I don't think I'd put a cello in the front seat of the 182, much less a 172. I wouldn't be nearly as worried about the air bags going off as I would be about the cello coming loose and causing an accident in the first place! :eek:

Ben,

I can't imagine that a cello will fit well in the FRONT seat of a 172 either. Facing forward, I think it'd be all the way across the front of the right seat and well across the front of the seat. Sideways, you might have issues with yoke movement. I don't think I'd put a cello in the front seat of the 182, much less a 172. I wouldn't be nearly as worried about the air bags going off as I would be about the cello coming loose and causing an accident in the first place! :eek:

It will fit in the front, but I have that concern about it hitting the yoke pedals or something else. I think I really must remove the back seats.

Back