Cell Phones and Caller ID (n/a)

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Hoping someone can shed some light on this:

Most of the time, whenever I get a call at home (regular landline) from a cell phone, the caller ID reads Wireless Caller and then the 10 digit number. Every now and then, the caller ID will actually display the cell phone owner's name, and then the 10 digit number.

I know that when I call someone from my own cell phone, it also just says wireless caller, and the 10 digit number.

Is there a way to set it so that my name appears on someone else's landline caller ID when I call from my cell phone?

BTW, I have Verizon Wireless.

Hope the question isn't too confusing. Thanks!
Matt

Do you have a home phone that allows you to program frequently called numbers and assign names to them? I know my home phone will do this, and it will display the name I've programmed in it when a matching cell phone number calls me at home. It took a couple of those calls before I realized it was my phone displaying caller information from a cell phone, not the Caller ID system. I finally noticed when the caller ID on the DVR would display "Wireless Caller" and the number, but the caller ID on the phone itself was displaying a name.

Do you have a home phone that allows you to program frequently called numbers and assign names to them? I know my home phone will do this, and it will display the name I've programmed in it when a matching cell phone number calls me at home. It took a couple of those calls before I realized it was my phone displaying caller information from a cell phone, not the Caller ID system. I finally noticed when the caller ID on the DVR would display "Wireless Caller" and the number, but the caller ID on the phone itself was displaying a name.

No it's not that. Sometimes random people, who have never called before, will have their names display--so it's nothing that I've set at home.

It must be caller ID information that's being sent from the cell phone itself.

My theory is that certain cell phone carriers transmit the name as part of the Caller ID, while others do not. In my experience, Sprint usually does, AT&T does most of the time, VZW & T-Mob not so much (I've never seen them).

Highly technical but you might want to read up on the technology to see if it fits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID

Very dependent on local services and equipment.

Brian has it right. It is dependant upon which path your signal takes and which switches it goes through. There really is nothing you can set on your cellphone. Some cellphones and landline CPEs have the ability for the user to program phone numbers and alphanumeric tags. These will sometimes display the programed name instead of the caller id name tag. But that again is not something you control.

My theory is that certain cell phone carriers transmit the name as part of the Caller ID, while others do not. In my experience, Sprint usually does, AT&T does most of the time, VZW & T-Mob not so much (I've never seen them).

I suspect this is the winning answer.

Back