Cell Phone with Lightspeed 20XLc

Anyone using a cell phone supported by the AT&T wireless plan that works well with the Lightspeed 20XLc?

Not AT&T, but with Sprint, my Sanyo ...ummm...4900 I think? worked beautifully. Believe it or not, I have never tried any of my T-Mo phones with it, and that's unfortunate, because GSM is GSM, and it would have given ya some pointed useful info.

Sorry.

Not AT&T, but with Sprint, my Sanyo ...ummm...4900 I think? worked beautifully. Believe it or not, I have never tried any of my T-Mo phones with it, and that's unfortunate, because GSM is GSM, and it would have given ya some pointed useful info.

Sorry.

GSM does cause interference especially on ANY headset with ANR. The frame rate of GSM is a big issue.

As to your question AT&T has nothing to do with the interface to the cellphone, that would be brand dependent. Most brands except for Nokia were using the standard 2.5mm HS jack. Newer models are starting to go away from that all together and back into anarchy. So you need to check you specific model to see if there is a cable adapter to the LS HS. Or you could go with the LS Zulu and use Bluetooth which does not use any wire.

I have a review on this site of the Zulu HS including the BT interface.

Sorry.

My buddy just asked me if he could get an iPhone and use it on his Sprint account (He gets a great rate.) Sprint is not GSM, right?

AT&T has nothing to do with the interface to the cellphone, that would be brand dependent.

Ok, I'll try to explain the AT&T part of this. I know AT&T does not make phones, I know I'm not connecting AT&T to the headset. When I say AT&T phone, I mean........

My wife wants to get a second phone that works with AT&T Wireless, and the headset.

Does every cell phone work with any plan, or does AT&T only support certain types of cell phones?

Ok, I'll try to explain the AT&T part of this. I know AT&T does not make phones, I know I'm not connecting AT&T to the headset. When I say AT&T phone, I mean........

My wife wants to get a second phone that works with AT&T Wireless, and the headset.

Does every cell phone work with any plan, or does AT&T only support certain types of cell phones?

Check eBay for AT&T/Cingular GSM phones. Get something popular like a Sony(ugh)-Erickson Samsung Motorola Nokia and you should able to get 2.5mm adapter (if needed) to work with headset.

Or look for a cheapie or a refurb: http://www.att.com/gen/landing-pages?pid=3308

I use my Treo 700p with my Lightspeed 20xlc. It causes zero interference, works fine. I have Verizon.

I don't use it to talk on my cell phone, though, I use it as an MP3 player so I can listen to music on the long parts where nobody's talking. :)

I use my Treo 700p with my Lightspeed 20xlc. It causes zero interference, works fine. I have Verizon.

I don't use it to talk on my cell phone, though, I use it as an MP3 player so I can listen to music on the long parts where nobody's talking. :)
Verizon is also CDMA. The characteristics of that waveform are such that interference like the GSM gives is impossible.

Verizon is also CDMA. The characteristics of that waveform are such that interference like the GSM gives is impossible.

I've forgotten to turn mine off a few times and haven't heard it in the plane. At home you can hear it on the phone and through SPEAKERS if they're close enough. I have plenty of cow-orkers who don't seem get where the noise is coming from on our conference calls. (not me) :mad:

... I have plenty of cow-orkers who don't seem get where ...

That's not very nice, Mike. Maybe its not their fault that they're overweight. ;) Okay...back to the regularly scheduled program.

The worst interference I've ever heard came from iDen. Holy christ that was horrible.

But alas, I've not yet tested GSM. I would assume its pretty bad, as you can even hear it if you have your phone near a speaker, or near the tv when you get an SMS or voice call. Sounds like wave pulses....pretty bad.

The worst interference I've ever heard came from iDen. Holy christ that was horrible.

But alas, I've not yet tested GSM. I would assume its pretty bad, as you can even hear it if you have your phone near a speaker, or near the tv when you get an SMS or voice call. Sounds like wave pulses....pretty bad.

Scott will chime in, but the way I understand it, as part of the handshake before a received call, and when the phone thinks it's on the fringe of range it boosts the transmitted signal to maximum and sends a BRRAAPPP!!! that you can get in your tooth fillings. :rolleyes:

Anyone using a cell phone supported by the AT&T wireless plan that works well with the Lightspeed 20XLc?

I've got a Motorola V551 (GSM) that I use on ATT (actually Cingular) that I've used with some of my Lightspeed headsets. You do have to keep the phone at least a couple feet from the battery box, headset cord, and the headset itself or you get some annoying "BZZZT" sounds. Other than that it works fine. I used to have a Nokia (forget the model) that was an analog ATT phone and it also worked but I had to use an inexpensive adapter.

Scott will chime in, but the way I understand it, as part of the handshake before a received call, and when the phone thinks it's on the fringe of range it boosts the transmitted signal to maximum and sends a BRRAAPPP!!! that you can get in your tooth fillings. :rolleyes:
GSM is a TDMA technology and the signal is divided into 7 time slots. I'll make this simple of you do not understand what I just said. The phone transmit 1/7th of the time instead of all the time.

The pulse is what you hear interfering with everything. Square pulse of power are what we call harmonic rich, they contain many frequencies of sine waves (see Fourier series to understand). There is something else in the interference area that deal with direct detection of the square wave by diodes. All these harmonics are difficult to filter and can get into other devices and you hear pulsing as a result.

CDMA uses digital codes to separate the signals from one another. CDMA phone transmit almost all the time, at low power and signal processing is able to pick out the desired signal while ignoring the interfering ones. So you do nto hear as much interference from them in other consumer devices.

Nope. The only two GSM carriers for the US are AT&T and T-Mobile.
Not true. There are plenty of mom and pops around the country that carry GSM. For instance in northern Wisconsin you may have run into MN based Einstein cellular.

AT&T and T-Mobile are the only so called nationwide GSM carriers.

Not true. There are plenty of mom and pops around the country that carry GSM. For instance in northern Wisconsin you may have run into MN based Einstein cellular.

And then there is Alltel who claims to be the nation's largest network provider.
This from
http://www.alltel.com

With more coverage than anybody, Alltel keeps you covered from coast to coast.
We own and operate America’s largest network, with coverage across the nation. Giving you the freedom to travel far and wide. We’re committed to providing the nation’s most reliable network, and we strive to make sure every call goes through and stays connected – from birthday greetings from across the country to late-night chats with your pal down the block. We’re so confident in the quality of our network that we offer our customers the wireless industry’s only automatic network guarantee. That means you’ll get an automatic credit on your bill, should you ever lose a connection. No calls to customer service, no trips to the store. It’s a nationwide network you can count on.

Thanks everyone.

I see the next move as moving from AT&T to a CDMA carrier.

Without the AT&T restriction then, anyone using a cell that works well with the standard connector?

So far, every phone I've checked from the Lightspeed site, (about 95% of em), or some mentioned here come up as, 'Discontinued'. The few exceptions, show as 'Not currently released in the USA.'

Without the AT&T restriction then, anyone using a cell that works well with the standard connector?
The last one I used with a wired connector was the V60. It is not made anymore. Most people use bluetooth now. If the phone connection is that important to you I highly recommend that you look at the LS Zulu.

I highly recommend that you look at the LS Zulu.

That's what it may come to.

I was hoping to find, just a phone, not a movie camera, game player, do your taxes, plan your entire life, and launch rockets from NASA machine;....just something I could make a simple phone call with that would plug into my XL20.

Anyway, I appreciate the discussion, lots of good, and new info for me there.

I was hoping to find, just a phone, not a movie camera, game player, do your taxes, plan your entire life, and launch rockets from NASA machine;....just something I could make a simple phone call with that would plug into my XL20.

:DJust a phone, good luck with that!! [/sarcasm]

Most of the products have abandoned the 2.5MM headset jack and are using mini-usb and/or bluetooth.

LS does sell an adapter that allows you to use the 2.5mm cable with the Motorola RAZR's mini-usb headset jack. It costs $10.

http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/cell-compatibility.asp

:DJust a phone, good luck with that!! [/sarcasm]

Really.

I don't have a move yet. I'll stick with my $15 ear piece I bought from Wal-Mart for the time being. Putting that in my ear along with the mic in the ear seal works, pretty good.

I have one client that I keep having a problem with where one of us cannot hear the other for whatever reason, and thought I'd make a move. I see no clear path ahead right now tho.

BTW, that Lightspeed compatibility list is useless unless you happen to already own one of the phones listed. They really an update.

Last edited:

Ah, but I said they were the only two FOR the US, not the only two IN the US. I meant for the US as in, nationwide.

We have Einstein even down in southern WI.

Back