Cell Phone Use while Driving

Is there evidence that hands-free actually reduces accident rates?
There is evidence that it makes no difference. Someone earlier mentioned that the rate of accidents on the while on the phone increase the same amount as if you are talking to someone in the car. Same prinicpal here, a distraction is a distraction. The cellphone is no better or worse than any other distraction. So why is it being singled out? I still have not heard a good theory.

There is evidence that it makes no difference. Someone earlier mentioned that the rate of accidents on the while on the phone increase the same amount as if you are talking to someone in the car. Same prinicpal here, a distraction is a distraction. The cellphone is no better or worse than any other distraction. So why is it being singled out? I still have not heard a good theory.
That's what I thought.

It's especially funny that it's illegal for me (in CA at least) to hold a phone to my hear while driving, but there is no law making it specifically illegal to give my dogs a bath while driving :p

It's especially funny that it's illegal for me (in CA at least) to hold a phone to my hear while driving,
Airport shuttle drivers obviously don't know that or don't care. I have seen them talking and texting at the same time.

That's what I thought.

It's especially funny that it's illegal for me (in CA at least) to hold a phone to my hear while driving, but there is no law making it specifically illegal to give my dogs a bath while driving :p

I have noticed when folks hold a cell up to their ear, turn signals and looking to the left (most folks seem to use their left hand to hold the cell) seem to go away.
Course, here in Texas, turn signals seem to be something one puts on after stopped if there's anyone behind them if used at all. But, there has been information that fewer folks are signaling turns and anecdotally, folks point to holding cells as one cause.

Best,

Dave

My theory is that it generally easy to see someone talking on a cell phone. People don't notice the other distractions (another person in the car, for example- cars are designed for more than one person). Since cell use is visible, common, and is perceived to cause annoyances to other drivers, it gets singled out.

I guess you avoid the Italian neighborhoods altogether.

(I'm of Italian descent, so I'm allowed to say that. :D )

-Rich
LOL! It's not just Italians... and I swear, people who do that are generally all over the place.
It's one of my Axioms of the Road, like the rule about old guys wearing hats while driving.
Sure, a lot of old folks drive slowly, but the guys with the hats are the masters. I think they just put it in gear and let it lug along at idle. Not a ball cap- usually it's a fedora with a little feather-thing in the band. If one of these guys is in front of you and you can't pass, you may as well pull over and park for a while, because he won't be going over 20 mph as long as he's in front of you. Even if you park for 10 minutes or so, you'll still get where you're going sooner, because he'll turn off shortly. But if you follow behind him, fuming and cussing and hoping fervently he will speed up or turn off somewhere, he won't... he will be in front of you all the way to your destination. :D

The cellphone is no better or worse than any other distraction. So why is it being singled out? I still have not heard a good theory.

Here's one theory:

Watch people when it comes to phones in general.

The behavior toward phones is that phones are considered always extremely important and that means it takes priority over everything else. It's a cultural thing. People have programmed themselves into behaving as if the phone is always extremely high priority. The original reasoning for this behavior? Who knows. Maybe it's because of the novelty of phones early on allowing communication with an important favorite relative that's seen only once every 5 years that's half a continent away or something.

Just watch people. When a phone rings, people jump to answer the phone right then. It doesn't matter what they're doing or how hazardous the situation is when the phone rings. They MUST answer the phone. If it's someone elses phone ringing and that person is ignoring it, the person will start getting stressed about the ringing phone and will tell the person to answer it regardless of how important the non phone conversation is. If someone is in a conversation with another person and a phone rings, both expect their conversation to stop and allow the phone conversation to take priority no matter how awkward sitting there next to a phone yakker will be for the next half hour.

Once someone is talking on a phone, they tend to ignore everything around them. Since the phone is considered very important, whatever is being said on the phone must be important enough to concentrate on just that. Situational awareness starts going out the window when a phone is in use. Total capability of concentration is divided between driving and talking on the phone with priority instinctively, without realizing it is happening, given to the phone. Brain power is diverted to talking. First to go is primary concious control of the vehicle by letting someone else drive for them in the form of tailgating so their instincts can keep the car ahead completely in their field of view. Car ahead turns or slows, they turn or slow without knowing why. They tailgate because staying further back requires more brain power to process the image ahead for the car to mindlessly follow.
In a simple nothing conversation and they lose a little awareness like the color of the car in front of them. Something complex and they don't know what's going on around them. (no hazards detected on the drive home..nevermind the several cars that in reality had to swerve to avoid impact. Those close encounters were not detected by the phone driver) If it's personally important to them and complex, they are essentially blind.
An amusing example of severe overfocusing on the phone from a few years ago at a strip mall: A guy was yakking on the cellphone walking from the parking lot ahead of me. He crossed the busy street without looking either way and almost got squished. Then he turned and walked along the buildings...right into a 4ftx4ft concrete post. I don't mean he diverted around it, I mean he bashed his nose into the center of the post at full walking speed. The look on his face was that of someone who had no clue at all where that post came from. He was concentrating so hard on the conversation to the point that he couldn't see the post.

In an airplane, the conversations on the radio are directly supporting the flight. The conversations are also fairly superficial. "Cherokee xxxxx turn heading 220 descend and maintain 3000." The conversation is over in under 5 seconds then it's back to totally concentrating on flying for the next several minutes. That's a lot different than a long indepth conversation of your neighbors cat and how it was the neighborhood favorite and got run down by a police car chasing a murder while grandma 500 miles away was knitting a new sleeve on a favorite sweater and oh by the way that software change on compiler line # 72197 to 73421 now does blah blah blah" None of that has anything to do with operating the vehicle the driver is sitting in at the time so the person has to divert even more brain power to the conversation.

Here's an experiment I'd like to see: I'd like to see the results of those totally safe no risk situation cellphone drivers with a completely objective non participating passenger in the car with them on a straight count of near misses identified by the celldriver and real world observant passenger. Take 1000 cars on a typical cellphone driver around the city and tally up the numbers. I'd bet there is a major descrepancy between the two numbers on threat identifications.

Just a thought based on direct observation.

When I call the hardware store to ask a question, the clerk in that department never answers. So I go to the store to see if they have it. Just as I get to the counter, but before I can ask if they've got one, the phone rings. The clerk holds up his hand like he's taking a call from the f-ing White House, then proceeds to stare in space and talk to some ******* about plumbing parts for 15 minutes. WTF?

Here's one theory:

The behavior toward phones is that phones are considered always extremely important and that means it takes priority over everything else. It's a cultural thing. People have programmed themselves into behaving as if the phone is always extremely high priority. The original reasoning for this behavior? Who knows. Maybe it's because of the novelty of phones early on allowing communication with an important favorite relative that's seen only once every 5 years that's half a continent away or something.

Just watch people. When a phone rings, people jump to answer the phone right then. It doesn't matter what they're doing or how hazardous the situation is when the phone rings. They MUST answer the phone. If it's someone elses phone ringing and that person is ignoring it, the person will start getting stressed about the ringing phone and will tell the person to answer it regardless of how important the non phone conversation is. If someone is in a conversation with another person and a phone rings, both expect their conversation to stop and allow the phone conversation to take priority no matter how awkward sitting there next to a phone yakker will be for the next half hour.

Once someone is talking on a phone, they tend to ignore everything around them. Since the phone is considered very important, whatever is being said on the phone must be important enough to concentrate on just that. Situational awareness starts going out the window when a phone is in use. Total capability of concentration is divided between driving and talking on the phone with priority instinctively, without realizing it is happening, given to the phone. Brain power is diverted to talking. First to go is primary concious control of the vehicle by letting someone else drive for them in the form of tailgating so their instincts can keep the car ahead completely in their field of view. Car ahead turns or slows, they turn or slow without knowing why. They tailgate because staying further back requires more brain power to process the image ahead for the car to mindlessly follow.
In a simple nothing conversation and they lose a little awareness like the color of the car in front of them. Something complex and they don't know what's going on around them. (no hazards detected on the drive home..nevermind the several cars that in reality had to swerve to avoid impact. Those close encounters were not detected by the phone driver) If it's personally important to them and complex, they are essentially blind.
An amusing example of severe overfocusing on the phone from a few years ago at a strip mall: A guy was yakking on the cellphone walking from the parking lot ahead of me. He crossed the busy street without looking either way and almost got squished. Then he turned and walked along the buildings...right into a 4ftx4ft concrete post. I don't mean he diverted around it, I mean he bashed his nose into the center of the post at full walking speed. The look on his face was that of someone who had no clue at all where that post came from. He was concentrating so hard on the conversation to the point that he couldn't see the post.

In an airplane, the conversations on the radio are directly supporting the flight. The conversations are also fairly superficial. "Cherokee xxxxx turn heading 220 descend and maintain 3000." The conversation is over in under 5 seconds then it's back to totally concentrating on flying for the next several minutes. That's a lot different than a long indepth conversation of your neighbors cat and how it was the neighborhood favorite and got run down by a police car chasing a murder while grandma 500 miles away was knitting a new sleeve on a favorite sweater and oh by the way that software change on compiler line # 72197 to 73421 now does blah blah blah" None of that has anything to do with operating the vehicle the driver is sitting in at the time so the person has to divert even more brain power to the conversation.

Here's an experiment I'd like to see: I'd like to see the results of those totally safe no risk situation cellphone drivers with a completely objective non participating passenger in the car with them on a straight count of near misses identified by the celldriver and real world observant passenger. Take 1000 cars on a typical cellphone driver around the city and tally up the numbers. I'd bet there is a major descrepancy between the two numbers on threat identifications.

Here's one theory:

Interesting, and I suspect accurate for most people. I think the sense of urgency, however, is more to the point. Something can be important, yet not urgent.

Personally, I hate talking on phones. I can easily think of a hundred things more important than answering a ringing phone, and I press the "ignore" button at least as often as I actually answer a call when the cell phone rings. I plan on celebrating my retirement by tossing all of my phones -- landline and cellular -- out the window of an airplane and into the ocean (with reasonable precautions to avoid personal injury or property damage, of course, as required by FAR 91.15).

I also have a MagicJack phone connected to an old computer that I almost never boot up except for the purpose of making a call from that number. That's the number I give to parties I really don't care to hear from, such as banks and credit card companies, utilities, most government agencies, retailers who demand a phone number before taking my money (like most online retailers), etc.

I never answer calls to that number. Like I said, the computer it needs to work is rarely turned on. Callers can leave voice mail if they like. I do, however, occasionally make calls from the MagicJack number to prevent the parties from grabbing my real number on the caller ID or the ANI.

Why do I say this? Because like I said earlier, I also suspect that people's estimation of the urgency of a phone call affects their driving. Personally, I really don't remember the last time I got a truly urgent phone call, by which I mean one that couldn't wait a while or go to voice mail. I get a lot of business calls that are important, but they're usually not urgent, most often last less than two or three minutes, and usually end with either "I'm on my way" or "I'll call you when I get back to the office."

-Rich

When I call the hardware store to ask a question, the clerk in that department never answers. So I go to the store to see if they have it. Just as I get to the counter, but before I can ask if they've got one, the phone rings. The clerk holds up his hand like he's taking a call from the f-ing White House, then proceeds to stare in space and talk to some ******* about plumbing parts for 15 minutes. WTF?

I had this happen not long ago -- I said, "I'm here ready to give you money, and that person you're talking to is not..."

She waved me off. I left the items on the counter. :mad2:

I think that drivers looking around at other drivers to see if they are talking on a cell phone while they are driving is more distracting than talking on the phone itself. By the way, how many of you guys have held your pepsi in one hand, your burger in the other hand, while you steer with your knee? I have. How many of you guys have gotten a,,,,,,,,,,,:nono: Never mind, I won't bring that one up.:D

Health issues of extreme urgency don't count.

I think that drivers looking around at other drivers to see if they are talking on a cell phone while they are driving is more distracting than talking on the phone itself. By the way, how many of you guys have held your pepsi in one hand, your burger in the other hand, while you steer with your knee? I have. How many of you guys have gotten a,,,,,,,,,,,:nono: Never mind, I won't bring that one up.:D

I had this happen not long ago -- I said, "I'm here ready to give you money, and that person you're talking to is not..."

She waved me off. I left the items on the counter. :mad2:

One of my pet peeves and I've complained to management about it more than once, and, like you, walked out. The drive through windows at places drive me nuts when I am there in person and they ignore me to take a drive up order. Worse is when they take a phone call while I'm there in person. I just don't tolerate it. If it's a short call, no problemo. If longer, they need to tell the person to wait, they are serving someone else right now and will be with them as soon as they are done. Worst was waiting for change once. I had purchased something and the sales lady took a call before getting me my change. I finally raised a ruckus so I could leave. Asked twice and didn't get anywhere. So, I started asking so loudly, she couldn't talk. I don't think I've returned to that place.

Best,

Dave

One of my pet peeves and I've complained to management about it more than once, and, like you, walked out. The drive through windows at places drive me nuts when I am there in person and they ignore me to take a drive up order. Worse is when they take a phone call while I'm there in person. I just don't tolerate it. If it's a short call, no problemo. If longer, they need to tell the person to wait, they are serving someone else right now and will be with them as soon as they are done. Worst was waiting for change once. I had purchased something and the sales lady took a call before getting me my change. I finally raised a ruckus so I could leave. Asked twice and didn't get anywhere. So, I started asking so loudly, she couldn't talk. I don't think I've returned to that place.

Best,

Dave

Too bad you weren't carrying one of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4355

I drive and text....

I swerve, but after 5 years (or longer, wow, I'm getting old) no accidents.

Are you familiar with the concept of selection bias?

Chris

. Since they have one hand on the wheel and another hand holding the phone, there's no hand for the turn signal- so they just stop and turn, or simply change lanes with no warning.

Accidents may be down...but driving near these people is still annoying.

I don't know where you live but...every place I've ever driven...even people who are driving w/o any visible distraction ignore the turn signal.:eek:

Yes, driving around them is still annoying...but that...goes both ways...:smile:

I have noticed when folks hold a cell up to their ear, turn signals and looking to the left (most folks seem to use their left hand to hold the cell) seem to go away.
Course, here in Texas, turn signals seem to be something one puts on after stopped if there's anyone behind them if used at all. But, there has been information that fewer folks are signaling turns and anecdotally, folks point to holding cells as one cause.

Best,

Dave

It seems to me that the number of people who actually use a turn signal has remained relatively the same over the 33 1/2 years that's I've been driving. Gee, that makes me feel old!

Here's one theory:

I definitely agree with this. If its not a good time to answer my phone or if I don't feel like answering my phone, whether it be cell or home, I don't answer it...don't have a desire to let a phone call dictate my actions. If its important the individual will leave a message or call back later.

Guess I'm in trouble...this happens to me even when I'm not on the phone, or talking, or eating, etc...lol Not really...just kidding. Well, most of the time anyway.:smile:

I realize I don't fly much but...it personally takes more brain power for me to talk on the radios in an airplane because my brain is number challenged and talking numbers is a regular occurrence while flying. My brain is very slow in interpreting numbers heard verbally and regularly transposes numbers which means it takes a lot of concentration for me...even if its an N # I know well. A 5 second conversation for some would be a good 30 seconds+ conversation for me. Moral of the story for me...don't deal with numbers if I have other more important things to concentrate on. :smile:

Yessirree

On rare occasion I will find a store whose policy is to deal with the face to face customer first...but its been so longer can't remember which business it was...:rolleyes:

I can't reach the steering with my knee even with an adjustable steering wheel column so I can't say that I've done that I've ever done that before...lol

I don't know where you live but...every place I've ever driven...even people who are driving w/o any visible distraction ignore the turn signal.:eek:

Yes, driving around them is still annoying...but that...goes both ways...:smile:
What's that turn signal you speak off???? Sorry, I never officially learned how to drive (and I don't think I'm alone!) :p

I can't reach the steering with my knee even with an adjustable steering wheel column so I can't say that I've done that I've ever done that before...lol

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen as many successive posts by you! Did something hit or nerve, or do we have more good posts to look forward to from you?

Best,

Dave

What's that turn signal you speak off???? Sorry, I never officially learned how to drive (and I don't think I'm alone!) :p

I'm a slow burn, but there are things that can push me over the edge. I think I was warmed up for this one because it had happened before.

When reason doesn't prevail; I will speak up!

Best,

Dave

I also have a CDL and used to drive tankers (propane deliveries, toxics, and other HAZMATs), which is a different world from that of driving cars. Driving trucks requires (and helps drivers develop) much better skills in the areas of observation, focus, behavior prediction, and general driving. Sometimes I entertain passengers by accurately predicting what other drivers are going to do. It's just a knack you develop when driving something that is essentially a bomb on wheels and which takes a loonnnng time to stop at highway speeds.

A-freakin'-men. I'll sit there in my truck when I sense someone is about to do something stupid and say "Don't do it! Don't do it!" and then "Awwwww!" when they invariably do it.

I still manage to get surprised now and then when someone reaches a whole new level of idiocy. :mad2:

I do talk on the phone while driving - But I also warn the people that I frequently talk to that I may stop talking in the middle of a sentence if a situation begins to develop that requires more concentration.

I'll reply to a text while driving, if it's short, I'm on a straightaway (on a freeway), and there are no other vehicles anywhere around so even if I do drift a little I don't hit anything. Usually it says "Call me."

As for the difference between hands-free and handheld: I can tell the difference in my own driving - Handheld means I check mirrors less, and tend to focus on the conversation more. So, I'm always hands-free.

Best,

Dave

I definitely agree - been there, done that more times than I care to remember. I don't think just walking out does much good - you need to bring your dissatisfaction to the attention of someone with the authority to do something about it. Embarrassing them by making a scene in front of other customers is one way. A more subversive approach might be to find out the name of the manager and write him or her a nasty letter.

What with the ready availability of cell phones with cameras and video recording capability, making a record of every expected encounter might be a good idea (just like the cops and their dashboard cameras). Once the funny business starts, make the guilty party aware that their behavior has been recorded (Smile! - You're on Candid Camera!) - and see what happens.

Once, long ago, I had a problem with neighborhood kids stealing fruit from a property I managed. Chasing them off did no good - they'd just come back again when I wasn't around. So I decided to use a bit of psychological warfare. All I did was sneak up on them in the act and take a few pictures with a camera. They departed without delay - and never came back!

It is sad that customer service has declined to such a low standard - but things will only get worse unless we all decide to do something about it.

Dave

I think the main difference between cellphone usage and many of those other distractions is that most of them don't last 15...20...30 minutes like a cell phone conversation many times does.

Well except for the screamin' rug rats in the back seat...

I can drive great while talking on my phone...I can drive great with 6 beers in my gut.
<jk>

So how do you feel about the clerks in the store surreptitiously trying to slip their cell phone back in their pocket when you approach (or surreptitiously trying to slip it out to check their text messages while they are waiting on you)? It puts me hot.

That wold have been nice; but I was having flash backs of how effective the minigun on the Cobra could be <g>

Best,

Dave

All this may be true...I still dislike driving near most drivers talking on their cell phones or ortherwise being distracted. They compensate by driving slower than the rest of traffic (gives them more lead time); stopping more slowly, and stopping well short of the stop line (sometimes before the light sensor so it takes much longer for the red light to come on for us). Since they have one hand on the wheel and another hand holding the phone, there's no hand for the turn signal- so they just stop and turn, or simply change lanes with no warning.

Accidents may be down...but driving near these people is still annoying.
I already drive slower than most of the traffic, use my blinkers,stop more slowly so I don't have to replace the brakes as often, and stop short of the white line to stay clear of pedestrians unseen anyway... And I'd say 50% of the cars I see don't use their blinkers cell phones or not:incazzato:.
I do use the phone in the car, but I'm straight down highways for 65% of my drive everyday, and also have a few 20 mph zones (not schools) in addition to that. Like the previous poster said, drive, navigate, talk, and most all is well. Texting = BAD idea.

Ryan

Most people can handle a 15 second distraction like changing the radio station or adjusting the heat but cellphones are unreasonable distractions which take the users focus for minutes. I followed one person for about 25 minutes who started the conversation when she pulled into traffic, and ended it when she was about to pull into the parking lot of her destination. The only signal she used was after the call ended.
People do not appreciate how much attention cellphones take away from whatever else they're doing nor do they appreciate how much damage their car can do.
Singling out cellphone use is because of the dramatic accidents that have occurred and been blamed on the drivers use of one. In Ma, we've had a couple of subway accidents where passengers have been seriously hurt. The drivers were reportedly using cellphones, talking or texting. This necessitated our legislature to pass a law mandating bus and train drivers not use cellphones. The MBTA went so far as to ban them from being carried during work hours. Some people have since been fired.
Distracted driving is distracted driving. Radios, car equipment, GPS, coffe, soda, burgers, or cellphones do not matter. It's the level of distraction that is the issue. If you're not focused on driving you ARE distracted. Some people can't drive and breathe at the same time.
Next new technology for cellphones.... Accelerometers which refuse to allow calls to go through while moving! Brought to you by a legislature near you.

15 seconds? I'd say more like 2 seconds. Think of how much ground you cover in 15 seconds.

Yahoo news had a cover story a week ago about a plastic surgeon to the stars (famous out in Hollywood) who was texting as he left his Hollywood hills home... went off a cliff and died.

Individuals with the intelligence of a lemming do not constitue an inability of the entire species.

And oh my, thread resurrection!

The stupidity of some drivers on the road never ceases to amaze me. I drove a tractor trailer for a couple of years and the things I saw in the cars around me were enough to curl your hair.
Two of my favorites were....
The woman who came down the entrance ramp onto the highway and merged in alongside me. She was sitting in the drivers seat, but I can't say she was driving 'cause she had the bowl of cereal in one hand and the spoon in the other!
...And I remember looking down into a car next to me one morning in 55 mph rush hour traffic where most cars were only a couple of car-lengths apart. This guy wasn't watching the car ahead of him. He had his head turned to the right so the trumpet he was playing wouldn't hit the windshield!!! I remember thinking that if the guy ahead of him stopped short, they would be taking that trumpet out of his ...., well, you get the idea.

I already drive slower than most of the traffic, use my blinkers,stop more slowly so I don't have to replace the brakes as often, and stop short of the white line to stay clear of pedestrians unseen anyway... And I'd say 50% of the cars I see don't use their blinkers cell phones or not:incazzato:.
I do use the phone in the car, but I'm straight down highways for 65% of my drive everyday, and also have a few 20 mph zones (not schools) in addition to that. Like the previous poster said, drive, navigate, talk, and most all is well. Texting = BAD idea.

Ryan

Ryan- I'm sure you knew that I didn't mean stop in a cross walk or another area where pedestrians have the right of way. People often stop so short of an appropriate location that they are not on the sensor that triggers the light to change at a proper time. I usually observe them with their phone on their ear.

If I wanted to play word games- you did admit you both talk on the cell phone and drive slower but I won't be so bold as to claim a causal effect.

The stupidity of some drivers on the road never ceases to amaze me. I drove a tractor trailer for a couple of years and the things I saw in the cars around me were enough to curl your hair.
Two of my favorites were....
The woman who came down the entrance ramp onto the highway and merged in alongside me. She was sitting in the drivers seat, but I can't say she was driving 'cause she had the bowl of cereal in one hand and the spoon in the other!
...And I remember looking down into a car next to me one morning in 55 mph rush hour traffic where most cars were only a couple of car-lengths apart. This guy wasn't watching the car ahead of him. He had his head turned to the right so the trumpet he was playing wouldn't hit the windshield!!! I remember thinking that if the guy ahead of him stopped short, they would be taking that trumpet out of his ...., well, you get the idea.

If that's all you saw, you were lucky.

My favorite was the guy with the cell phone, the legal pad, the newspaper draped over the wheel, and the beverage. He was doing about 85, too.

Twice, I have had cars come UP the OFF ramp, directly against traffic.

99% of people think they are above average drivers. :rolleyes:

If that's all you saw, you were lucky.

My favorite was the guy with the cell phone, the legal pad, the newspaper draped over the wheel, and the beverage. He was doing about 85, too.

Twice, I have had cars come UP the OFF ramp, directly against traffic.

I spent some time in my day driving taxis all night...you pass many, many vehicles on any 11-hour shift in the NYC area, and nighttime seems to bring out the... uh, whatever... in drivers.

I have seen amazing feats of apparent "multi-tasking" even before the advent of mobile phones. :rolleyes2:

Reading, eating, drinking, grooming, doing crosswords, watching TV (portable TV on pax seat or dash), sleeping (yes, I'm sure of it; at least once), fighting, having sex, dressing/undressing, car interior repair/renovation... you name it.

99% of people think they are above average drivers. :rolleyes:

And that is the reason why, now as ever. :D

Back