Cell Phone Usage

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
This could be big. Think of the usage for GA aircraft, using their cellphones to get up to date weather and graphics in the cockpit. U think this would have any effect on XM subscriptions?

story taken from http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/2006/03/bad_news_if_you.html

Bad news if you don’t want cellphones on airplanes

Some wireless companies say they could have onboard cellphone capabilities up and running by 2007, according to Scott McCartney, The Middle Seat columnist for The Wall Street Journal (subscription required). Still, it’s not clear sailing -- yet -- for cellular companies hoping to win a slice of the airline market. A new study by researchers at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) found radio-frequency emissions from devices like cellphones and Blackberrys could interfere with the Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) systems that are increasingly used on modern aircraft. (As a sidenote, McCartney also writes that the study also “revealed that some fliers are already making phone calls in defiance of an industrywide ban.”)
Why now? Technological advances may now allow cell calls to be made from planes without interfering with GPS networks (though the CMU study raises some new questions) and, in light of those advances, Federal Communications Commission opposition to cellphones in flight has eased. “Now,” McCartney writes, “the Federal Aviation Administration must make its own decision.” A group studying the issue for the FAA is expected to issue a final report in December. But the real question may be, “Do fliers really want cellphones in flight?” The FCC received about 8,000 comments when it proposed dropping its ban on in-flight cellphone usage. Out of those comments, McCartney says only two or three were in favor. He says the rest, except for about 50 or technical reports, came from travelers vociferously opposed to opening up the cabin to gabby seatmates.

it could be. i hear that origami thingy can accept a cell antenna for wireless internet, and bam, youve got all the weather and info you could ever need. don't forget to fly...

I have Verizon Wireless Broadband. It doesn't work in the air, because the ground based antennas are angled or otherwise shielded to prevent an airborne device from tying up a large number of stations - just like in the voice mode.

That's not an insurmountable problem at all, but it doesn't work YET.

However, for weather, it's MUCH more efficient to broadcast the data on a constant cycle than it is to provide request/reply service. Look at the ground based systems in the FBOs that get data from satellites - they all listen in on a common signal, store the information locally, and then use software to let you see the information you're interested in. It's why using DUATS through WSI stations requires a phone line - there isn't really a transmit capability.

Same problem with Cellular South. Above 1500' I get no reception.

TMetzinger said:
I have Verizon Wireless Broadband. It doesn't work in the air, because the ground based antennas are angled or otherwise shielded to prevent an airborne device from tying up a large number of stations - just like in the voice mode.

That's not an insurmountable problem at all, but it doesn't work YET.

Odd. Verizon gives me a signal in the air throughout SC.

Though I wonder... what is everyone's views on cell phone use in the air?

wbarnhill said:
. . . . S N I P . . . .
I'm not sure we need any more distractions in the air. As an emergency tool for 911, I think the cellphone is one of the best inventions ever. Many fire departments are decommissioning the pullboxes stationed around town. But as a distraction, currently it is number one. But then, anything has the potential.
As pilots, we deal with distractions (more times) quite well but we really don't need ringing cellphones on final!

wbarnhill said:
Odd. Verizon gives me a signal in the air throughout SC.

I've used mine in the air maybe 2 or 3 times, and only to answer .. not
originate calls. And that because I forgot to turn it off before I left.

As for on airliners .. I'd be against that. Those times are some of the
few I get left alone and can relax and read or just sit there. I don't
want my peace and quiet broken by everyone yakking on their
cell phones.

RT

The airliner systems will not allow cell phone to talk to the cells on the ground. They install a minicell onboard the airliner, and use a totally separate link (via satellite, I belive) to hook the airliner cell into the telephone network. So unless you're flying close formation with a cell-equipped airliner, this will not help you use your cell phone in flight in your light plane. IIRC, the minicell system costs more than our airplanes.

Back