Celebrities at Oshkosh

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Did anyone get to see any celebrities at Oshkosh? I was told that the Vampire Jet flying with the war birds was owned and flown by John Travolta. They said everytime he land he would leave so he wouldn't be bothered by fans. I also heard that Aaron Tippon was there as well. And we all know Harrison Ford was there.

I saw Tex Hill of "Flying Tigers" fame several times, along with Bud Anderson, Bob Hoover, and Chuck Yeager. Also, Jack Rousch and Carroll Shelby.

I didn't hear that Travolta was associated with the Vampire jet.

I'm having a brain dead evening, but a famous rocker (forgot his name) and two famous NASCAR drivers (forgot their names, too--I think one was Mark Martin) were present. All three stopped by the Ford tent to drive the Rousch Mustang dynomometer drag race.

Dean said:
Did anyone get to see any celebrities at Oshkosh? I was told that the Vampire Jet flying with the war birds was owned and flown by John Travolta. They said everytime he land he would leave so he wouldn't be bothered by fans. I also heard that Aaron Tippon was there as well. And we all know Harrison Ford was there.

I saw both the Vampire and it's pilot (who wasn't Travolta). He said that John did own the plane at one time but it has since been acquired by a museum and Travolta no longer flies it. They left his name painted on the right side of the cockpit for publicity purposes.

I saw Burt Rutan there talking to a couple of guys at a tent, forgot where. We caught a ride with a guy that was friends with Aaron Tippin. He was there doing jam sessions with his buddies, I was told. Of course we saw the Beach Boys up until the time it started to rain.

Jack Rousch gave Carl Edwards, one of his drivers, a ride in his P-51. Matt Kensett (sp?), another driver, and his wife also stopped by Rousch's airplane. I got a Ford ball cap with all three of their signatures to give to Cheryl, whose landlord is a devout NASCAR enthusiast. Maybe she'll get a free month's rent out of it.

Dick Rutan gave a spiel about his Vietnam flying at one of the Warbirds in Review sessions.

Ed Guthrie said:
I'm having a brain dead evening, but a famous rocker (forgot his name) and two famous NASCAR drivers (forgot their names, too--I think one was Mark Martin) were present. All three stopped by the Ford tent to drive the Rousch Mustang dynomometer drag race.

Last edited:
This thread reminded me of a rather notable quote I once heard. During an Oshkosh visit John Kennedy, Jr. commented that he very much enjoyed attending Oshkosh because he was for the most part left alone--treated like just another pilot rather than mobbed as a celebrity as he would be anywhere else in the US.

I was introduced to Erik Lindbergh and spent some time talking with Gretchen Jahn (CEO of Mooney and winner of the 2006 Air Race Classic) and Rod Machado.

Ed Guthrie said:
This thread reminded me of a rather notable quote I once heard. During an Oshkosh visit John Kennedy, Jr. commented that he very much enjoyed attending Oshkosh because he was for the most part left alone--treated like just another pilot rather than mobbed as a celebrity as he would be anywhere else in the US.

Here's a quote from me about Celebrities, "Fly enough of them like I do and you'll remember they sit on the pot like I do too." I always think of that for some weird odd reason when a nice beautiful female Celeb gets on the plane. Always brings a smile to my face. :)

I saw Steve See,and Ed Guthrie there , wait i flew up with Ed does that count
Dave G.

Back