Celebration Dinner post Check-Ride

N521MA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoy
Have a PPL Checkride scheduled early March and was thinking of flying wify for a nice dinner to celebrate. (If I pass :))

I fly out of Republic, KFRG. Will be an evening flight, up to an hour each way. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of flying north or south in the Hudson corridor direct to dinner spot ......

All input appreciated! :))

Also www.adventurepilot.com. I don't have any local knowledge of that area, though.

Actually, depends how far you're wanting to go. If you want to go to Lancaster, PA LNS, they apparently have a great Italian restaurant on field. I haven't been myself, but I hear only good things from those who have. I think it's a little ways away from you, though.

Have a PPL Checkride scheduled early March and was thinking of flying wify for a nice dinner to celebrate. (If I pass :))

I fly out of Republic, KFRG. Will be an evening flight, up to an hour each way. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of flying north or south in the Hudson corridor direct to dinner spot ......

All input appreciated! :))

I'd suggest doing it the following day.

The emotional rollercoaster of a checkride doesn't mesh well with IMSAFE. I think you're likely to have issues with S, F and E (yes, even when you pass).

Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but you're likely to be useless after that checkride. Better to have your wife drive you someplace.

I found the checkride experience to be more stressful and more draining than my dissertation defense. And its worse if you have to discontinue (e.g., due to weather) and finish another day.

The emotional rollercoaster of a checkride doesn't mesh well with IMSAFE. I think you're likely to have issues with S, F and E (yes, even when you pass).

Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but you're likely to be useless after that checkride. Better to have your wife drive you someplace.

I found the checkride experience to be more stressful and more draining than my dissertation defense. And its worse if you have to discontinue (e.g., due to weather) and finish another day.

I hear you. My check right is at 8am, them I am off for the rest of the day. If we go for dinner it will not be earlier then 7pm. Plenty of time to chillax ;)

I just found this: www.airportgrille.com - looks very tasty! Anyone heard of this place?

I hear you. My check right is at 8am, them I am off for the rest of the day. If we go for dinner it will not be earlier then 7pm. Plenty of time to chillax ;)

I just found this: www.airportgrille.com - looks very tasty! Anyone heard of this place?

Be sure your night current if you can't even depart until 7p...I reckon you'll be back after night fall. Good luck on the 'ride. (Usually your CFI has overprepared you so the actual test will be a piece of cake don't sweat it!)

I have to agree that the celebration flight may be a little too soon, but then I'm thinking of my limitations and yours may be different.
My first passengers came a few days after my checkride and it was a late afternoon flight that brought us back at night.

Keep in mind the following factors to make for an enjoyable first passenger flight:

• Don't eat too heavy.
  • Fly rested.
  • Fly a known route (especially at night).
  • No drinking (not even one glass sip of wine).

Whatever you do, be safe and remember that after eating your body will naturally want to hibernate.

Last edited:
I have to agree that the celebration flight may be a little too soon, but then I'm thinking of my limitations and yours may be different.
My first passengers came a few days after my checkride and it was a late afternoon flight that brought us back at night.

Keep in mind the following factors to make for an enjoyable first passenger flight:

• Don't eat too heavy or let your passenger eat too heavy.
  • Fly rested.
  • Fly a known route (especially at night).
  • No drinking (not even one glasssip of wine).

Whatever you do, be safe and remember that after eating your body will naturally want to hibernate.
Fixed that for you!

Also, if this will be her first flight, don't go too far until you know that she's comfortable in the plane.

Everyone is different in that regard. On my PPL checkride, I needed a signoff to fly to the DPE's field (KOZW from 76G). Then after the oral, I had to discontinue because of weather moving in from the west (IOW get out while the gettin' was good) and fly back to 76G by myself, only to return with another signoff the following week. After passing the checkride, I flew by myself to the field I soloed at, just for old times' sake (and to celebrate NOT needing a signoff to fly there alone), before heading home. At no point was I too sleepy, fatigued, or emotionally overwhelmed to fly.

It might be more reasonable advice to not make firm plans... IOW play it by ear and see how you feel.

Last edited:
After my oral and practical on a Friday, I was so tired I didn't even feel like seeing the airport on Saturday let alone fly. It may have had something to do with an oral that started at 8am and ended at 2:30pm. The DPE loved to talk.

ABSOLUTELY Positively Airport Grille at EWB - New Bedford - you get to add a state to the list - and you get to discover right off the bat your favorite fly-to restaurant with your honey.

I cannot state this any clearer - this restaurant is in the Michelin Guide and gets three stars. At the airport. Taxi right up to it.

Call them in advance and tell them you are flying up for a special occasion - and see if they'll hold a table - check the CapeAir [or whatever its called now] schedule out of New Bedford and try to arrive about 15 min before one of the departures - all the people who are going to take the flight are inside the secure area - because they do not take reservations . . . .

white tablecloths, candle light. Then a night time flight home - all lit up.

Fixed that for you!

Hehehehe.

Get a couple of tasty burritos and fly home at 11,500.

The altitude, umm, "enhances" the experience. And remember that you can safely open the windows in a 172 at any speed up to Vne.

Maybe that's not the best idea for a special occasion. :)

ABSOLUTELY Positively Airport Grille at EWB - New Bedford - you get to add a state to the list - and you get to discover right off the bat your favorite fly-to restaurant with your honey.

I cannot state this any clearer - this restaurant is in the Michelin Guide and gets three stars. At the airport. Taxi right up to it.

Call them in advance and tell them you are flying up for a special occasion - and see if they'll hold a table - check the CapeAir [or whatever its called now] schedule out of New Bedford and try to arrive about 15 min before one of the departures - all the people who are going to take the flight are inside the secure area - because they do not take reservations . . . .

I will second that. Airport Grille at EWB is awesome. I've been there twice now and plan on flying there again soon.

Ahhh YES!!! Exactly the feedback I was looking for! I definitely appreciate the Michelin rated restaurants! They are rate, expensive as hell, but the food will make you sell your soul ;) LOL

THANK YOU for this post!!!

Hehehehe.

Get a couple of tasty burritos and fly home at 11,500.

The altitude, umm, "enhances" the experience. And remember that you can safely open the windows in a 172 at any speed up to Vne.

Maybe that's not the best idea for a special occasion. :)

LOL

no windows for me. We have Archer III with a little tiny window on my side. But she is one sweet ride. I originally started my training in a Cessna, did about 35 hours in that, then was introduced to 1973 beat up Warrior and fell in love. 6 month ago i bought '99 Archer III and she is a dream. Lately looking at Matrix but operating cost is insane compare to the Archer!!!!

Fixed that for you!

Also, if this will be her first flight, don't go too far until you know that she's comfortable in the plane.

Wify flew with me 5 times already. One of the times was a nice long XC Miami-KeyWest-Miami; rented G1000 172SP with a pilot that was 18 and just got his license. Most scary part came out when he told me (after I took off) that he just got his sign off, just over 40 hours and no way he could hand fly the plane as I did; told me he is mainly used to autopilot only. That almost made me and my wife soil ourselves, as I just soloed few days before this florida vacation and could not mentally rely only on myself. I still remember the look on my wife's face saying "you better know what you're doing, as this kid is suicidal!!!" However, training kicked in and XC was very uneventful and pleasant. Wify loved it! Kind of sad that it took me 100 hours to get to my check-ride, but at the same time I fly totally comfortable, relaxed and focused; that can only come with time and experience.

Be sure your night current if you can't even depart until 7p...I reckon you'll be back after night fall. Good luck on the 'ride. (Usually your CFI has overprepared you so the actual test will be a piece of cake don't sweat it!)

That is true. I feel like I am over prepared and my instructor knows it as well. But, I guess, while it took longer at the same time I feel confident, i dont have a slight thought that I will not pass and most importantly when I did my last solo XC (almost 300 miles) - i felt solid and somewhat bored out of my life. Thank God for flight following - when they are not saving your ass, they are just as good at entertaining bored pilots! Love ATC guys!!!

That is true. I feel like I am over prepared and my instructor knows it as well. But, I guess, while it took longer at the same time I feel confident, i dont have a slight thought that I will not pass and most importantly when I did my last solo XC (almost 300 miles) - i felt solid and somewhat bored out of my life. Thank God for flight following - when they are not saving your ass, they are just as good at entertaining bored pilots! Love ATC guys!!!
LOL that's so true!

On the home leg of my long solo XC, I was passing close to a field then known as 5D2 (now KRNP). ATC called up and asked me, "N739RX, do you see the airport at 2 o'clock?"

Me: "Mmm, affirmative."

ATC: "What is it and how far are you from it?"

I said that it's 5D2 and I couldn't give him an exact distance.

ATC: "Well, what does your super-duper DME tell you it is?"

Me: "I don't have DME in this airplane." Not that it would have helped, since there was no VOR or other DME source on the field.

ATC: "Oh. In that case what does your super-duper eyeball tell you it is?"

Me: "Oh, maybe about 5 miles."

ATC: "Thank you, see that wasn't so hard was it?"

I never asked him or figured out what the pop quiz was about, but it was certainly peculiar and entertaining at the same time.

Enjoy your checkride and celebratory dinner flight! :yes:

LOL that's so true!

On the home leg of my long solo XC, I was passing close to a field then known as 5D2 (now KRNP). ATC called up and asked me, "N739RX, do you see the airport at 2 o'clock?"

Me: "Mmm, affirmative."

ATC: "What is it and how far are you from it?"

I said that it's 5D2 and I couldn't give him an exact distance.

ATC: "Well, what does your super-duper DME tell you it is?"

Me: "I don't have DME in this airplane." Not that it would have helped, since there was no VOR or other DME source on the field.

ATC: "Oh. In that case what does your super-duper eyeball tell you it is?"

Me: "Oh, maybe about 5 miles."

ATC: "Thank you, see that wasn't so hard was it?"

I never asked him or figured out what the pop quiz was about, but it was certainly peculiar and entertaining at the same time.

Enjoy your checkride and celebratory dinner flight! :yes:

I need to fly up by you . I thought Detroit ATC weren't very friendly...

My checkride ended about 4pm. Got back to my home field, picked up 3 friends and departed for atlantic city in the dark! I didn't feel unsafe then at all. But knowing what I know now I think I pushed it. I am certain you'll be fine, but should anything go awry there is going to be a lot to chew on in that airspace in the dark with your wife on her first flight. Good luck!

My checkride ended about 4pm. Got back to my home field, picked up 3 friends and departed for atlantic city in the dark! I didn't feel unsafe then at all. But knowing what I know now I think I pushed it. I am certain you'll be fine, but should anything go awry there is going to be a lot to chew on in that airspace in the dark with your wife on her first flight. Good luck!

Thank you. Yes I think I'll be fine too. Out of my 100 - I do have about 10 hours of night flying and plane is decked out with 2 GPS, 2 iPad (fore flight), autopilot and proximity radar. Plus I love navigation planning and really take my time to plan my routes. However, like you said, should anything major, like engine out happen in total pitch black darkness..... Now what?!?!?

Trying to find an obstacle free landing site would not be an easy thing to accomplish. I will be close to water but that is not an option as well. Most likely I will plan to stay as high as I can to give me that extra glide to the nearest. Although flying at night above 5,000 without oxygen is never a good idea either.

What is your general opinion of flying at night? To me it is really an instrument flight while in VFR condition. All flights that I did at night - I mainly rely on instruments except for traffic and major waypoints like big airports.

I need to fly up by you . I thought Detroit ATC weren't very friendly...
Oh they're not actually bad at all -- but this was Flint (KRNP is Owosso).

Send me a PM if you come up this way and maybe we can meet!

Oh BTW I just checked -- Owosso was 5D3.

What is your general opinion of flying at night? To me it is really an instrument flight while in VFR condition. All flights that I did at night - I mainly rely on instruments except for traffic and major waypoints like big airports.
I'll probably get flamed for this but I agree. The first time I went out at night with my finish-up CFII, we didn't even bother with the hood. He even wanted to call it simulated instrument time. Hunker down in your seat some time at night (preferably with another pilot in the right seat) and just focus on the panel. I think it is about as good as foggles during the day -- which is to say, you have enough peripheral cues that it's not really as disorienting as actual IMC, but you still need the instruments to stay straight and level.

I'll probably get flamed for this but I agree. The first time I went out at night with my finish-up CFII, we didn't even bother with the hood. He even wanted to call it simulated instrument time. Hunker down in your seat some time at night (preferably with another pilot in the right seat) and just focus on the panel. I think it is about as good as foggles during the day -- which is to say, you have enough peripheral cues that it's not really as disorienting as actual IMC, but you still need the instruments to stay straight and level.

One thing for sure! March 4th - Checkride, March 5th - IFR training begins ;)

+1..........

it is great practice....:yes:

It depends.

Night flight over a city or a busy highway has a horizon -- though under certain conditions it can be a false horizon (careful!). Even flying around on a bright moonlit night (and it's gibbous waxing right now) gives you some visibility. But flying over a black hole on a moonless or overcast night with no lights (or just a few isolated lights) can be disorienting and requires an instrument scan.

I did my most recent night cross country by pilotage, backed up with a Garmin 430 on the terrain panel (just in case), and flight following. The route was well described by "I Follow Roads" on US101, and was visible even beyond the city.

And the beacon made spotting the destination very easy, even though the runway lights were all off at the time (PCL -- I turned it on a few miles out).

Back