Celebrating new years the correct way (only tangentially aviation related)

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
I stayed up and watched a movie with my two oldest last night. At 11pm local, all my Indiana friends started posting their new years pictures on Facebook. It occurred to me how silly the whole "waiting up until midnight in your local time" thing is. The only 24:00 that really matters is Zulu time.

It then occurred to me that by celebrating in Zulu time, the excitement would be over at 6pm local, and I could go to bed at my normal time. Bonus points for piloty esoteric GMT knowledge, and an excuse for using my giant GMT function pilot's watch. I know what I'm doing for new year's from now on.

Last edited:
I stayed up and watched a movie with my two oldest last night. At 11pm local, all my Indiana friends started posting their new years pictures on Facebook. It occurred to me how silly the whole "waiting up until midnight in your local time" thing is. The only 24:00 that really matters is Zulu time.

It then occurred to me that by celebrating in Zulu time, the excitement would be over at 6pm local, and I could go to bed at my normal time. Bonus points for piloty esoteric GMT knowledge, and an excuse for using my giant GMT function pilot's watch. I know what I'm doing for new year's from now on.
Or 7 pm if the Sunshine Protection Act is passed!

That has been a west coast NYE party hack for years, albeit with EST, and video feeds from New York. I have seen similar in the USVI and the London feeds.

OBTW, your AARP membership card should be arriving shortly. :p

Back