Cedar Key post-Hermine

wrbix

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot Lite
KCDK was NOTAM'ed closed for about 36hrs after Hermine. I need to fly down to assess damage this week - anyone been there or overflown since 9/2?

That's one of my favorite places, hope it dodged the brunt of that storm.

It got hit pretty hard - businesses on Dock and Second Streets flooded, their docks and decks blown away by storm surge. The museum flooded. Road to airport impassable. No one yet is able to tell me status of KCDK (or our house next to KCDK).

Last edited:
Appreciate the video. I like flying into Cedar Key and enjoying the food, B&Bs and laid back atmosphere. Hoping for quick recovery and anxious to know how airport fared

Just got a report that KCDK did not appear damaged. But road to airport is pretty well washed away, as seen in that YouTube video.
(And our house did not take on water, but dock is gone - good news overall)

That's one of my favorite places, hope it dodged the brunt of that storm.
Just got a report that KCDK did not appear damaged. But road to airport is pretty well washed away, as seen in that YouTube video.

Floating dock or pylons?

Floating dock or pylons?
Wood pylons and decking.
Might try a floating replacement.

Wood pylons and decking.
Might try a floating replacement.

Man!

I'm my experience the pylons are stronger, sorry to hear about the damage.

I've been looking at docking solutions for my place, basically something where I can beach along side it and just step over and tie to the dock, for me it needs to be a solid low profile floating dock, here's the best contender Ive found, if it helps.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Techstar-P...ystem-Float-Drum-Bumper-Float-BF-1/204183179/

Here's what I'm considering - should be able to dry dock my microskiff and kayaks:
http://sportport.com/

....and pull everything out for Hurricane Season.

Here's what I'm considering - should be able to dry dock my microskiff and kayaks:
http://sportport.com/

....and pull everything out for Hurricane Season.

Those look good. If you have the opportunity to check them out in person with a heavy Jet Ski or something similar to your skiff on it, I highly recommend it. I bought a similar product called Jet Dock for my jet skis and have not been entirely happy with them. My main beef is it is really hard to get the skis off again once they have dried out. I also don't like the way the boats sit on the bunks and the bunks are not adjustable. I had no way of trying out the Jet Dock prior to purchase as they are more rare here.

Back