Cedar Key Florida

O

OffCompass

Sorry I hit the submit instead of the preview post. In any case I was there about a week ago. I flew in because of a family reunion which was not held in Cedar Key but this airport was a lot closer to my reunion then Gainesville or Crystal River.

The airport only has one landing strip and no tower but there is a woman that runs a taxi to town which is not to far away. I had never been there before but my family kept going into Cedar Key while I was there so I got to know a bit about it.

It is a historic fishing village with neat fishing homes and a lot of back water bays. I found out it is the number one area in the USA for farm raised clams.

The town itself is small and has a waterfront area with some shops. This place has a lot of restaurants and I think my family hit them all while I was there. To be honest with you, I would watch where you eat as most places the food is average to poor at best. Coconut/Rusted Rim the service was poor and food not better and The Big Deck you could watch the grease drip off your food and there were cats all around the place. I do not remember the other places we ate at name wise except for one which was a standout food wise. That was the Pickled Pelican. I do not know the address but it is on the upper level of the waterfront area and a different colored building painted blue and orange. You have to climb up the stairs to get to it. The first time there was 13 of us and the food was very good. My crab cakes were the best I have ever had and my wife's Buco was amazing. Out of 13 of us not one complaint and we keep going back different days to try other things and each time as good as the first. Very good service. You have to try the place, as when I called the owner over to tell him how exceptional the food was, he explained everything possible is cooked to order and even the salad greens are hand cut for each salad ordered. You have to try the blackened steak salad. Super.

It is an island on the West side of Florida North of Tampa. My wife and I are going to go back, and town people welcomed this fly boy and his family with opened arms.

Frank

Back