Cedar Key, FL (KCDK)

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
First of all, it's an island that's basically just a small (2,355x100) runway, which is awesome.

ifUxsvY.jpg

I've been doing a lot of flying lately around Florida in the trusty 150 and I'd always wanted to hit Cedar Key and today I finally got the chance. Leaving Lakeland (KLAL) the clouds were lowish (VFR, scattered at 2,500) so we snuck out at 2,000 all the way but it was more than enough room over the flat lands. Picked up flight following from Tampa and got cleared direct and into the bravo - although I wouldn't need that at 2,000 - it was still nice. Right after I got my code, another pilot tried to get FF and was turned down because Tampa approach had "run out of codes" due to so many people out flying... Never heard that before but it made me smile.

Anyway, flight to CDK was uneventful, landing at the short strip wasn't an issue in the 150, but we got lucky with having almost no wind across 05. The new paint is very nice, but the AF/D hadn't yet been updated with the displaced threshold to 5... Again, no issue, but it does make it closer to 2,000 landable. No taxiway, so we back taxied to the ramp, and tied down. There were a couple of taildraggers doing 25 dollar fun rides but that was about all the activity we saw.

If you fly in, there is only one taxi in town (Judy), but she monitors CTAF and will ask if you need a ride on downwind... That was neat. You do pay dearly for the service at 20 bucks one way for a 5 minute drive but it was still worth it. We ate at Around The World on the water, it was good (and Dave Matthews themed if you're into that).

Anyone else ever flown in there? Share you pics, story, or recommendations!

TL;DR: KCDK is cool, go there if you can. Short runway is fun runway.

Last time I was there less than a year ago Judy was charging $20 for round trip. Is it now $20 each way per person?

Nice day trip in 2012 with the family in the RV-10. Tony's Seafood was great. Runway was in poor shape at the time, but looking good now.

Last time I was there, the runway didn't look that good. I'm not a fan of seafood, so it's not as much of a hot destination as it is a place to enjoy a shorter runway. We rode with Judy to and from town. I don't know how much it was. She was nice enough to look after our puppy while we had lunch on the town. An hour later and we were back out. If been wanting to go back.

Great little airport ,with open approachs. If you like sea food it's worth the trip. Have your short field technique with you.

Always have wanted to fly in and visit. Flown over it several times back and forth to Sun N Fun. Wasn't there a colorful, salty, cussin' old woman who drove the taxi for years but has passed? May have smoked a pipe. Seems like I even recall "Flying" mentioning her in an article on the airport.

Last edited:
Flew there for the day on Valentine's Day 2015. My wife and I rented a golf cart from Gulf Coast Carts. He was supposed to pick us up but his cell died. Judy came out to pick up another pair and we hitched along for $10/person.

We kayaked, wandered the art shops, went through the brush museum (interesting stuff) and used the cart to get out to a state park.

Cart folks took us back to the airport. We had a very nice day.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We have a place in Cedar Key - hope to "winter" there someday. See http://www.islandoaks.net/Pictures.html for pics.
There are plans to totally redo the runway in concrete but this must await rebuild of the bridges leading to KCDK to accommodate concrete trucks - the recent work was resurfacing and repaint. They did put in new lights with PCL, new windsocks, but seem to have removed the FBO (read: port-a-potty).
There are reportedly plans to pave another apron area for parking on N side of runway. Planes not uncommonly get mired in the sand over there (and the sand spurs are nasty).
Cedar Key is one of the last bastions of Old Florida. Hope to keep it that way!

1+ on Tony's Clam Chowder too!

Last edited:
By far one of my favorite airports.

Gotta check out Tonys for some chowder too
http://www.tonyschowder.com/

Couple good bars downtown if you spend the night, also the taxi/bus isn't needed, I've just walked into town every time I've been there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Looks interesting!!! I have suggested this to one of my friends who is working at Las Vegas airlines Lets see if we can plan any trip for us.

Always have wanted to fly in and visit. Flown over it several times back and forth to Sun N Fun. Wasn't there a colorful, salty, cussin' old woman who drove the taxi for years but has passed? May have smoked a pipe. Seems like I even recall "Flying" mentioning her in an article on the airport.

I used to fly there monthly back in the 80's.... Lady's name was Edna, she drove an old, partially rusted out Pontiac station wagon.. we would buzz the town and by the time we landed and got tied down. She would roll up and drive us to town..She ALWAYS had a cig in her mouth and would have won the world record since she could keep the ashes on the cig till it was burnt up.. Never figured out how she did it.. Seem to remember the round trip cost was 5 bucks, and I am sure we gave her a 5 buck tip too..

Sleepy little town back then and never saw more then 3 planes there at once....

Another great fly in and dine was Chalet Suzanne in Lake Wales.... I think they sold out last year and closed down......:sad::sad:

By far one of my favorite airports.

Gotta check out Tonys for some chowder too
http://www.tonyschowder.com/

Couple good bars downtown if you spend the night, also the taxi/bus isn't needed, I've just walked into town every time I've been there.

Places like Cedar Key are where a nice folding bike makes sense.

Places like Cedar Key are where a nice folding bike makes sense.

This is good. Also, if you're going anywhere other than downtown yo can rent a golf cart pretty cheaply and they'll pick you up at the airport. (If his phone is on.)

I used Gulf Cart Company: http://www.gulfkartcompany.com

Judy's Taxi is still going as of last Feb. She listens to the CTAF so you can ask on the air.

John

Looks like limited ramp space (on the asphalt): is the next option via tie downs off the runway?

Used to fly in there with my dad back in the 60s. We'd come home with 25 pounds of stone crab claws and eat them till we were stuffed.

Looks like limited ramp space (on the asphalt): is the next option via tie downs off the runway?

Limited it is. This website for Friends of the Cedar Key Airport includes a map of suggested parking spots - bring your own tie down anchors - ground is sandy. Sand Spurs in abundance.
www.cedarkeyairport.org

Last time I was there less than a year ago Judy was charging $20 for round trip. Is it now $20 each way per person?
I haven't been there in about a year, but every time I went, Judy charged $10 each way. I don't really see how that could pay for her expenses much less earn her a living.

Loved my trip to Cedar Key from Tampa yesterday. Rented a golf cart and buzzed around exploring until sunset. Got a burger. Then flew back.
Thought I'd upload some photos for interested pilots.

The view before climbing higher over water...
IMG_3181.jpg
Tied Down the rental.......
IMG_3184.jpg
A view of the departure end of 23......
IMG_3183.jpg
This notice to pilots..........
IMG_3199.jpg
Beautiful.......
IMG_3191.jpg
Driving through the town.....
IMG_3186.jpg
Flying back after sunset.....
IMG_3206.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpg
    IMG_3206.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 88
That's one of my stops on an early Saturday morning flight. Great place to practice short field T/O and landings. Sadly, I've never left the airport though...

That's one of my stops on an early Saturday morning flight. Great place to practice short field T/O and landings. Sadly, I've never left the airport though...

That's why I went up there in April, to practice my short landings and also because it was just something I always wanted to do but never got around to it.

Don't know if it was Judy, but definitely had a lady call me up on CTAF just as I was turning downwind to ask if I needed a taxi to the island. Declined as it was basically practice, but may have been Judy.

Very fun field to fly into and the flight up was enjoyable as well. Didn't get many pictures as I was the only one in the plane, but here are a few of mine from April.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 76
Flew there and spent a couple hours walking around/eating in October 2014. 172 was rented via Open Airplane.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 51
I'll be out there tomorrow morning practicing short field.

This is one of my favorite airports. I make it a point to take all my student clients to this lovely destination. A very scenic airport. Great pics!

I saw a video online yesterday. The waterfront and marina were pretty trashed by Hermine. The floating dock platforms are spread around the parking lot and neighboring buildings. The ground floor motel rooms are trashed. There was nothing in the video about the airport. But as a destination, it's going to be a while before it's ready for visiting again. :sad:

John

KCDK is reported open. Some damage to fencing. Planning a trip down next week.
Road to airport from town washed out.
Some businesses reopening already - resilient bunch of folks.
Our dock totaled, house OK

nice to reminisce, back in 2008 I did a x/c tour while on holiday in a 172sp - kism - leesburg - crystal river - cedar key - cross city - perry foley - st marys - Fernandina beach - flagler - kism..

It's been years, the runway looks in great shape compared to the loose gravel of years ago. Flew in with the fam for lunch, didn't tell my wife about the 'carrier style landing' with water on both ends... wish I had a camera to capture her look on back taxi, priceless ...

Why in the world is the threshold displaced at both ends?? Those approaches are wide open!

Why in the world is the threshold displaced at both ends?? Those approaches are wide open!
Dunno...I've wondered that myself...on 23 there's a public road crossing at threshold with a stop sign that's routinely ignored (or at best, final not cleared before crossing)....on 05, dunno.
Certainly does make a pretty short runway even shorter.

I've been to 2400 paved and 2000 grass, but grass slows you down much faster. Just be careful with weight and it should be fine. If you rarely go anywhere like my home bases (3000 x 75, 3200 x 75), get some practice first.

We ate at Around The World on the water, it was good (and Dave Matthews themed if you're into that).

They squint at you constantly and sing your order back to you in a really nasally voice with weird inflections? :)

Flew into KCDK Monday. Runway good. Good bit of damage to fencing around runway and wind socks pretty well demolished. Can't say if lighting working.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 34
Interesting island, it is too small but has a place for landing.

Too small for what?
That place for landing is generally called an airport (admittedly lacks amenities - I like it that way).

Back