CBD ???

A

anon

I have searched here and elsewhere. If I have missed an answer, please direct me.

What is the FAA position on using CBD? more importantly,

Where can I find research on whether CBD actually affects abilities?

surely someone has researched the effects

Thank you.

Marijuana is not approved for use in any form by the FAA. Wait- what's that sound? It sounds like a fishing reel going "ZZZZiiiiiinnnnnggggg!!!" You caught me!!!

I've heard that, although weed is frowned upon, straight heroine is just fine. Thank God this wasn't a serious question, because an actual pilot would not be this, uh, ignorant or goofy as to ask if the FAA approves of marijuana use. I mean, it's not like they specifically ask about it on a medical application or anything. ;)

My supply of 10-foot poles is running out so fast, I may need to switch to 9-foot Hungarians

I have searched here and elsewhere. If I have missed an answer, please direct me.

1. What is the FAA position on using CBD? more importantly,

2. Where can I find research on whether CBD actually affects abilities?

3. surely someone has researched the effects

Thank you.

1. Read the AME guide. Your search of this site should have returned at least one thread where this was recently discussed with at least one expert in the field of FAA policy in this area gives his opinion.

2. I have no idea. If google doesn’t turn up anything, then it doesn’t exist.

3. What makes you think that? But, I guess some CBD company has probably paid a consultant to provide research ‘proof’ of their product efficacy.

I’d do this stuff for you, but I’m too lazy and have the munchies.

CBD is a cannaboid der...aw nuts, just freaking look it up yourself. You'll get popped on a drug test and then you won't be a pilot ever again.

The FAA, like the rest of the Fed Government, prohibits it. That doesn't mean they're right.

If you can do a Google search you can find lots and lots of info on CBD therapy. Pros and cons from sources you could have predicted prior to reading the articles. Not unlike asking here. Except the Google search will turn up articles from people who know what they're talking about! The primary con is lack of control. My biggest complaint about government is they have too much control. Read the articles with an open mind and come up with your own opinions.

Once the feds figure out there's money in marijuana they'll be all over it like it was their idea. Give it five years or so. They're slow.

I'm not an expert just SGOTI and the following is what I have figured out recently when I was made curious from the other thread. So it's worth what you paid for it.

Various bills at the Federal level recognize the difference between "industrial hemp" and "marijuana". It's the same basic plant but the former has been bred to contain almost no THC. (<0.3% by dry weight) Industrial hemp has been legalized by the Federal government to grow in some areas for research and other purposes. There is a strong bipartisan effort to fully legalize industrial hemp across the board to boost farm economies, to replace tobacco as a crop, and create domestic and export markets for hemp products like fabrics, rope, soap, lamp oil, etc.

The DEA has obstructed these efforts. (What seems to be going on is the pharmaceutical lobbiests want to have CBD declared a drug by the FDA so they can control its production and marketing and the DEA is kindly helping them by declaring CBD in addition to THC a schedule 1 substance.) It's an ongoing battle at this point with several court cases, the Federal government in the meantime does not seem to be prosecuting the sale and use of CBD, especially if hemp derived, but I would not take that to mean the FAA is okay with it. I would stay away from all forms of CBD from the standpoint of medical certification with the FAA.

There are different types of "CBD" products:

1.) Hemp oil: Made from industrial hemp. It contains no THC and no CBD but could be marketed as "CBD oil" and if so is a rip off. It can be used as a cooking oil but does not have medicinal benefits. What you see on Amazon.com as "Cannabis Hemp Oil" is this. It's completely legal just like it's legal to own a garment made from hemp.

2.) Hemp derived CBD oil: Also made from industrial hemp, but does contain varying amounts of CBD which is considered to have immune system benefits or other health benefits but doesn't get you high.

3.) Marijuana derived CBD oil without THC: Made from the parts of the marijuana plant that do not contain much if any THC. This oil may or may not contain much CBD. It is technically still illegal in most states because it came from the marijuana plant.

4.) Marijuana derived CBD oil with THC: Made from marijuana, contains THC and is definitely disqualifying as far as the FAA is concerned even if you get it with a legal prescription.

Personally I'd stay away from all of them. Even the first because I would not trust sources to not contaminate it with THC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back