Cavalier aircraft for sale

MikeS

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MikeS
I'm helping a hangar neighbor sell his plane. He's retired Navy, mid-80's & has kept this plane shipshape for 28 years. Complete logs & maintenance history. With some checks and a sign off it could be IFR certified. It's an antiquated panel but it's all there. It's amazing such a capable airplane can be had for 11.5K. The bulletproof 0-235 Franklin that's in it was new 1200 hours ago and considering how well it's been kept is probably good for another 1200 before anything major needs doing. I don't know what the compression numbers are but if anyone is interested in the plane we can get that done.

Nothing like a taildragger to develop fundamental flying skills and there's nothing like having your own plane for building hours. This plane is a gentle critter, based on a 1949 French type-certificated design called a GY-20 Minicab. The Cavalier is an improved version of that, licensed in the Experimental category. This is a great opportunity for a low-time pilot intent on a career in aviation. Why give your money to a flight school when for a small portion of what you'll spend there you can have your own plane to build VFR/IFR hours then sell it down the road. If not damaged, it'll always be worth the 11.5K the owner is asking for it. As with all Experimentals, it would be good if the new owner has some mechanical aptitude for doing their own maintenance. If lacking aptitude or time, your local A&P will have no trouble keeping up with this one.

We've got it on Barnstormers currently. Go to the site and type "Cavalier" (without quotes) in the search box. Text from the ad is below. If interested, call me at (619) 449-5145 or email me at Propbalance@att.net

I'll attach a couple pictures. The aircraft is hangared at Sky Harbor Hangars at Gillespie Field (KSEE), El Cajon, CA.

Thanks,

Mike

CAVALIER SA 102 • $11,500 • FLY RIGHT NOW • Cavalier SA 102. TT 1200 A&E. Franklin Sport 4A (O-235) 1200 TTSN, 125 HP. RT385A Nav/Com. RT359A Transponder/encoder. Full panel w vacuum system. 27 Gallons total left & right tanks. 5 GPH cruise. Current annual. Conplete logs with no damage history. Flown regularly for 28 years with the same owner. Always hangared. Good condition. Located KSEE. Will deliver for expenses. $11,500. Owner: Doug Robertson, (858) 277-8578 • Contact Mike Stirewalt, Friend of Owner - located Santee, CA USA • Telephone: 619 449-5145

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 386
  • Rightrearquarter.jpg
    Rightrearquarter.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 273
  • Cockpit2.jpg
    Cockpit2.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 334
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 227
Reminds me of a Culver Cadet with fixed gear. Looks to be rag and tube construction. I wonder if it's wood under there, of steel? Either way, it's a good thing it's been hangared. You would really want to join the EAA, one of it's chapters and do some studying up on this kind of a thing. Likely it's plans built from scratch 40 years ago. How easy is it to get Franklin 235 parts? :confused:

Reminds me of a Culver Cadet with fixed gear. Looks to be rag and tube construction. I wonder if it's wood under there, of steel? Either way, it's a good thing it's been hangared. You would really want to join the EAA, one of it's chapters and do some studying up on this kind of a thing. Likely it's plans built from scratch 40 years ago. How easy is it to get Franklin 235 parts? :confused:

Cavalier is all-wood with fabric cover. Built from plans, as real homebuilts are.

Dan

Hi guys,

Yes, all wood with fabric covering. In the tradition of Bellanca, Jodel, Emeraude, Barracuda, DH Mosquito, the Spruce Goose,, many others. Doug bought it in 1987 and has had it in his hangar at SEE since then. Before that, for 200 hours and one previous owner, it was hangared at Compton in Los Angeles. So it's always been in a dry climate and always been hangared.

There is a Google Groups site devoted to the Cavalier:

https://sites.google.com/site/cavalieraircraft/

It gives some history, the various permutations of the design, pictures and videos, etc.

It really occured to me when I offered to help Doug with this that it would be such a perfect plane for someone throwing their money at a flight school to invest some of it in something to build hours and also to enjoy doing their own maintenance and improvements thus learning new skills in the process. It'd be great too for someone downsizing from something expensive, reducing their aviation overhead. Someone willing to take a hit in speed in return for no more $1500 annuals.

For this kind of money what one usually finds are basket cases that basically need some level of restoration - but this is a ready-to-go airplane. Doug isn't going to fly anymore and he's just looking to find it a good home so he can eliminate his hangar rent which, at this point, is just wasted money. It gives him a place to hang out, but he's getting tired of that too.

I haven't looked into Franklin parts availability. I'm sure they're out there but will take some looking. Somebody surely is filling that niche. Stinsons, Bellancas, SeaBees and dozens of other airplanes came out of the factory with Franklins. A Polish company bought the rights and were producing parts - might still be doing so. There's a lot of Franklins out in the field so I'm just assuming parts can be found. I do know they are well regarded engines. This one currently doesn't need any parts and shouldn't need any for a long time to come.

Doug says cruise is 125-130 MPH at 5 GPH.

Mike

Last edited:
How fast are these things? 5gph cruise - but at 50mph or 150mph?

I've forgotten whatever I ever learned about LSA's. On the Cavalier site

https://sites.google.com/site/cavalieraircraft/

I'm reading about stall speeds in the high 40's. Gross weight of the Cavalier is way above the LSA limit of 1320. Empty weight is around 1000 and gross is well over 1500 - I haven't actually looked at the builder's spec sheet on this plane yet (but it's available along with original plans, logs, etc.) but I'm reading on the site above that the SA 102 carries 1700 lbs. easily.

Re LSA's . . . what is the purpose of them? I forget. One would have to be dead already to not qualify for a third class medical so if that's the only reason for them, I don't get it.

Copied this off the Cavalier website:

Light Sport Certification

from http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/final_rule_synopsis.html
Maximum gross takeoff weight—1,320 lbs, or 1,430 lbs for seaplanes.
Maximum stall speed—51 mph (45 knots) CAS
Maximum speed in level flight with maximum continuous power (Vh)—138 mph (120 knots) CAS

Cavaliers should come in at 900 empty with 100 hp (Cont 0-200). Stall speed is in the very low 40's mph (not knots,) so landing under 50mph should be standard---- low 40's with flaps. Dino

I don't know what the 0-235 Franklin in this plane weighs - a little more I would think than the 0-200 mentioned above. 27 gallons of fuel comes in at 162 lbs leaving a theoretical remaining capacity of 200-250 lbs before hitting the 1320 LSA max. All the LSA's I see at the airport seldom if ever have more than one person in them so maybe this Cavalier is a candidate. It seems to fit all the parameters . . . a bit marginally regarding the gross, but perhaps doable.

I just noticed one of these took Grand Champion at Oshkosh, 1976. On the cover of Sport Aviation. Picture attached.

Attachments

• Sport Aviation 1976.JPG
    Sport Aviation 1976.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Re LSA's . . . what is the purpose of them? I forget. One would have to be dead already to not qualify for a third class medical so if that's the only reason for them, I don't get it
not even close. Wait until something trivial puts you on the wrong side of an AME's pen and you have to spend multiple thousands of dollars to get tests and evaluations to prove that you're as healthy as you feel.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. Blood pressure temporarily over the limit or something like that might pop up I suppose. My remark had to do with the comparison in my head between our Third Class medical and the much more involved aviation medicals you have to deal with in Europe, UK and Commonwealth countries - stress test, EKG, blood work, etc. As with their writtens vs ours, medicals are much easier and simpler over here and hence my comment dismissing the Third Class so lightly. Ours is so routine and lacking in depth that, as you know, we will soon be replacing it with a driver's license.

Over fifty and fat and you might very well bust the third class, easy as it is. Most modern humans are sick.

I was over at Doug's hangar today to do some cockpit measurements - had an inquiry from a midget in Henderson wondering if his feet would reach the pedals. While there I sat down and went through all the logbooks & maintenance notes this plane has accumulated since it was built in 1974. It's all very well documented and complete and has the original plans as part of the records that have been so well kept - as has the plane.

This is a really nice ready-to-go airplane for 11.5K. Fully instrumented, day/night VFR and IFR capable. I'll be happy to deliver it anywhere. I've had a few inquiries but nothing serious.

If there's somebody out there looking to buy a time-builder this would be an excellent choice. Actually, this would be a great airplane for anybody. Panel is antiquated in design but it all works fine.

It's still on Barnstormers. Type in "Cavalier" and it'll pop right up. I've got more pictures and can send copies of the logs. We're getting a fresh annual done, just waiting on the A&P that's been maintaining it for 28 years to find the time to fit it in his schedule.

Doug obviously isn't trying to get rich on this deal. Just wants to find it a good home and be done with hangar rent. He isn't getting around very well. This is an excellent opportunity for someone.

Mike
Propbalance@att.net

I'd really, really like to have something like that.

Well come take a look at it and either fly it home or I'll fly it home for you. You wouldn't need to pay until it's sitting in your hangar.

Hey everyone,

For those who missed out on Stratobee's Aerostar, please keep this Cavalier in mind. The seller has reduced the price to $8500 with a fresh annual, payment due upon delivery to your hangar. Please refer to the ad in Barnstormers (search under "Cavalier") for more information and/or contact me directly.

Thanks,

Mike

Propbalance@att.net

When I read the title, I was thinking a Cavalier Mustang (P-51).

Yes, I wish . . .

That's the plane I would associate with that name as well were I not hangar neighbors with the owner of this design with the same name. They are both low wing monoplane taildraggers so they really are very similar. In some ways. I guess those three things is about all.

This one is a lot less expensive :)

Hey everyone,

For those who missed out on Stratobee's Aerostar, please keep this Cavalier in mind. The seller has reduced the price to $8500 with a fresh annual, payment due upon delivery to your hangar. Please refer to the ad in Barnstormers (search under "Cavalier") for more information and/or contact me directly.

Thanks,

Mike

Propbalance@att.net
Damn, I don't need another plane, but I'd almost buy it at that price.

Anyone around Atlanta want to buy this thing with me?

Its killing me to see it still sit....

Anyone around Atlanta want to buy this thing with me?

Its killing me to see it still sit....

Sure. Im heading out to CA (one way) anyway in about a week. Id be glad to bring it back.

Cavalier has sold to an airline guy after a very thorough inspection. Paint over the years has cracked or chipped in a couple places but inner inspection shows that structure, cables, linkages, - airframe in general - is "as new" and most surprisingly, looking at the interior surfaces of the 40 year old Ceconite is like like looking at new cloth. Immaculate. 1974. Amazing to see and testament to the value of keeping your aircraft, any aircraft, out of the elements - mainly water and UV. UV especially. That Ceconite is good stuff. I would have thought the plane would be due for some new fabric after so many years. Not so. It's still like new. One would think it would have a life limit and I'm sure it does - just about everything does - but it's apparently without limit if protected from UV and moisture. This one has gone four decades and shows no signs of aging or wear or anomalies of any kind. Impressive. Sold for $8500 with its 0-235 Franklin at 1200 hours. Still looks and runs like new.

For someone getting ready to put themselves in debt for years to pay for flight school tin can rentals, finding something like this Cavalier is sure a more sensible choice for any number of reasons - not the least of which is when you go get in your plane you don't have to worry about who was last in it and what they did while there.

Of course, one has to have some basic mechanical skills to own and maintain your own plane so that probably eliminates a lot of the youngsters I'm thinking would be better off buying something instead of renting. Great way to learn these skills though. None of it is a mystery and the information is easily obtained these days. One needs to be interested.

Back