Caution - This could make you sick

BudRiggs

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bud
Was digging deep to find my form DD-214 to prove myself to social security and came across the brochure from my flight school.

Check the tuition prices. Best be sitting down, or have a bucket handy.:cryin:
Thanks Uncle Sam, for the GI Bill.

Ag Aviation Academy
Reno/Stead, NV

1209515426_LmJfb-L.jpg

1209515427_D3r3z-L.jpg

1209516970_MS5ZF-L.jpg

1209515622_bJ9Ez-L.jpg

1209515594_FLqAH-S.jpg

Just move the decimal one place to the right...

...now are we getting close?

Years ago my dad showed me some of the receipts from flying about when he started in the late 50's.
J3 Cub: $2/hr (grumble grumble prices had gone up)
Tripacer: A horrific $8/hr and that was the brand stinking new one with all the fancy stuff. The older one was about $4/hr.

Today, ish. $3 is gone between the time you flip the master until you yell clear. $8 will barely start the engine on a 172 nowadays.

Funny thing about those brochures is the "Modern Training Type Airplanes" are still pretty much what we use today.......when it comes to airplanes we're sort of like Cuba is with cars......

14 for the plane, 7 for the instructor. Cost me $1,050 for my Private in 1978.

Scenario: A 16 year old kid without a job works in the hayfields for a couple months then cuts grass, washes cars and airplanes, sweeps out garages, etc all summer long. Three months for flying money plus the odd job for spending money and had roughly three days off every two weeks as well as too many half days of little to do. No regular job, no clue at 10am if there was any work to be had after lunch. No degree, no HS diploma, no nothing other than determination.

What are the chances today of that kid getting through solo before the money runs out?

That kid was me in 1981/82. That tiny pile of cash got me through my PP checkride and I still had some left over to go play in the sky with. Whenever I needed to get away from the ground, I'd cut grass or whatever for a day or two depending on how many hours I wanted to fly. I think it was $12 or $16 per hour in a CE150 and somewhere in the $900 range total when I was handed the little white pieces of paper by the DE.

I seriously doubt that today a 16 year old no matter how motivated can walk out into their neighborhood scrounging for yard work and come up with enough money in one day to fly for 2-3 hours.

I declined the opportunity to get my private back in the early 80's at Scott AFB aero club where a 172 rented wet with a CFI for $28/hour. One of the dumber things I've ever done. Though, learning to fly a 172 off a 12,000' long mile wide runway would have probably retarded my skills for the rest of my life so I guess it's not all bad.

$12/hr for a 152 wet, $6/hr for the instructor at Navy Memphis flying club in 1977. Didn't seem any more affordable then on E-3 enlisted pay as current day rates are now.

I declined the opportunity to get my private back in the early 80's at Scott AFB aero club where a 172 rented wet with a CFI for $28/hour. One of the dumber things I've ever done. Though, learning to fly a 172 off a 12,000' long mile wide runway would have probably retarded my skills for the rest of my life so I guess it's not all bad.
When I was in college (late 60's) some other students (Ron Levy was among them) formed a university flying club and they were offering a PPL for something like $300 but I didn't have $300 at the time.

Here are the costs adjusted for inflation:

Private Pilot - $718 --> $4,378
Commercial - $2,925 --> $17,838
Instrument - $867 --> $5,287
Multi Engine - $690 --> $4,208

When I was in college (late 60's) some other students (Ron Levy was among them) formed a university flying club and they were offering a PPL for something like $300 but I didn't have $300 at the time.
I learned to fly at a university flying club in the late 1970s. I don't remember the total price but I think I was paying $15/hour for a C-150 and $8/hour for the CFI.

Funny, my PPL cost waaaaay more than forty four hundred dollars. And- no colorful certificate from the flight school.
Oddly, though, a multi rating is still four grand or thereabouts. I wonder why the PPL has become so much more expensive in real dollars.

Scenario: A 16 year old kid without a job works in the hayfields for a couple months then cuts grass, washes cars and airplanes, sweeps out garages, etc all summer long. Three months for flying money plus the odd job for spending money and had roughly three days off every two weeks as well as too many half days of little to do. No regular job, no clue at 10am if there was any work to be had after lunch. No degree, no HS diploma, no nothing other than determination.

What are the chances today of that kid getting through solo before the money runs out?

That kid was me in 1981/82. That tiny pile of cash got me through my PP checkride and I still had some left over to go play in the sky with. Whenever I needed to get away from the ground, I'd cut grass or whatever for a day or two depending on how many hours I wanted to fly. I think it was $12 or $16 per hour in a CE150 and somewhere in the $900 range total when I was handed the little white pieces of paper by the DE.

I seriously doubt that today a 16 year old no matter how motivated can walk out into their neighborhood scrounging for yard work and come up with enough money in one day to fly for 2-3 hours.

Very true:sad:

That looks pretty close although the Commercial is WAY out of wack!

Funny, my PPL cost waaaaay more than forty four hundred dollars. And- no colorful certificate from the flight school.
Oddly, though, a multi rating is still four grand or thereabouts. I wonder why the PPL has become so much more expensive in real dollars.

that PPL was based on 35 hrs of flight time.

That looks pretty close although the Commercial is WAY out of wack!

I'm pretty sure that commercial was based on 160 hrs of flight time.

Back then it was 25 hours dual, 10 solo according to the brochure. That probably accounts for the difference.

In Canada the old rule-of-thumb held that the PPL would cost about three months' salary for a tradesman. It's still true.

Dan

Actually Cuba keeps its 1950's cars in better condition than most flight schools keep their C172's from the 1970's.

Just a wild guess here however the Cuban's probably are not paying $40,000-$75,000 for those used cars either.

Back