CAUTION - PAVE PAW

Eric Brunelle

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ericb
I get what looks like a TFR on my Foreflight map over Rutland, VT. When I click on it, the box reads "Boston FIR, Suface -17999 (there is also one for 18,000 and above),

CAUTION - PAVE PAW
CAUTION: USAF PAVE PAW Radar Hazardous to Aircraft 1 NM radius N41 45.1 W070 32.3 GND to 4500' MSL.

I only started getting these alerts. When flying with a buddy who also has Foreflight, he doesn't get them. ATC says there are no TFR's at that location.

Anyone else get these?

The PAVE PAWS site isn't in Rhode Island actually. It's on the Otis ANG in Sandwich, Massachusetts. Admittedly, it's closer to Rhode Island than it is to Boston.

The site is not covered by a TFR, but rather a new RESTRICTED AREA R-4101. It only goes up to 2500 though.

I get what looks like a TFR on my Foreflight map over Rutland, VT. When I click on it, the box reads "Boston FIR, Suface -17999 (there is also one for 18,000 and above),

CAUTION - PAVE PAW
CAUTION: USAF PAVE PAW Radar Hazardous to Aircraft 1 NM radius N41 45.1 W070 32.3 GND to 4500' MSL.

I only started getting these alerts. When flying with a buddy who also has Foreflight, he doesn't get them. ATC says there are no TFR's at that location.

Anyone else get these?

I don't get any Alerts. But if you touch the map just about anywhere in New England the Boston FIR comes up. Hit details and it gives you that CAUTION. Is that what you are talking about?

Here's what I get...pave-paws.jpg

I am color deficient, but that looks like the way TFR's are displayed in Foreflight.

"the width of the beam is only 2.2° ... Its duty cycle (fraction of time spent transmitting) is never greater than 25% (so the average power of the beam never exceeds 25% of 540 kW, or 145 kW)"

Worth staying away from.

Last I heard it got an upgrade. That is the unclassified version.

It also hears a lot better than it once did. Yay computers. LOL.

Back