Cathay Pacific's 747-8F fleet

3393RP

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
3393RP
I was browsing FlightAware earlier, and noticed a Cathay Pacific 747-8F that had just left DFW bound for ATL. For no particular reason, I did a search and discovered the airline has fourteen 747-8 freighters in service. The fleet is registered as B-LJA through B-LJN.

Entering a tail number into FlightAware's database pulls up seven days of aircraft activity. I viewed the flight history for eight or ten of the CP freighters, and found some interesting information. These aircraft stay very busy.

Almost all of them showed flights between Hong Kong and Anchorage, with subsequent destinations all over North America, including LAX, ATL, IAH, EWR, and MEX. Others headed west from HKG, to BOM, FRA, and DWC.

There were just one or two instances where an aircraft was on the ground at CP's base in HKG more than 24 hours. I'm guessing one of the reasons is that the -8F is a relatively new airframe, going into service in 2011. Another, of course, is that cargo operations don't make money if the planes aren't flying, so I imagine CP's maintenance base is a finely tuned machine.

The 8F's numbers are impressive. It has 30,200 cubic feet of cargo space, can carry 292,400 lbs of cargo, 400,218 lbs of fuel, and the MTOW is 987,000 lbs.

Another interesting revelation was the flight times between the various destinations flown by the big freighters. Flight time between HKG and ANC is consistently about 10:45, and all of the other legs east or west bound are six hours or less. With a maximum cruise speed of Mach O.85, the aircraft can move a bunch of cargo anywhere in the world in a short amount of time.

I dunno if anyone else will find this interesting. I looked into it on a whim, and enjoyed the results.

I'm pretty sure they carry all those Apple AirPods, Iphones, etc around the world.

I was browsing FlightAware earlier, and noticed a Cathay Pacific 747-8F that had just left DFW bound for ATL. For no particular reason, I did a search and discovered the airline has fourteen 747-8 freighters in service. The fleet is registered as B-LJA through B-LJN.

Entering a tail number into FlightAware's database pulls up seven days of aircraft activity. I viewed the flight history for eight or ten of the CP freighters, and found some interesting information. These aircraft stay very busy.

Almost all of them showed flights between Hong Kong and Anchorage, with subsequent destinations all over North America, including LAX, ATL, IAH, EWR, and MEX. Others headed west from HKG, to BOM, FRA, and DWC.

There were just one or two instances where an aircraft was on the ground at CP's base in HKG more than 24 hours. I'm guessing one of the reasons is that the -8F is a relatively new airframe, going into service in 2011. Another, of course, is that cargo operations don't make money if the planes aren't flying, so I imagine CP's maintenance base is a finely tuned machine.

The 8F's numbers are impressive. It has 30,200 cubic feet of cargo space, can carry 292,400 lbs of cargo, 400,218 lbs of fuel, and the MTOW is 987,000 lbs.

Another interesting revelation was the flight times between the various destinations flown by the big freighters. Flight time between HKG and ANC is consistently about 10:45, and all of the other legs east or west bound are six hours or less. With a maximum cruise speed of Mach O.85, the aircraft can move a bunch of cargo anywhere in the world in a short amount of time.

I dunno if anyone else will find this interesting. I looked into it on a whim, and enjoyed the results.
That is interesting. Like cargo ships, those planes don't make money unless they are hauling something. I may be wrong, but I suspect they can swap an engine out pretty quickly, if they needed to. They can then troubleshoot the engine on the ground. They also don't need to cancel or delay because one of the toilets isn't working. Thanks for the information and for sharing.

Cathay Pacific quit using 747's on their SFO to HK passenger route about five years ago, opting for 777's.

UPS has -8's as well. One of their routes is SDF-DXB. Pretty impressive.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UPS76/history/20191130/1007Z/KSDF/OMDB

FlightAware says total travel time was 12 hours 49 minutes...and they landed 6 minutes early. That's pretty good flight planning. :D

The 747-8F is one badass looking airplane.

2452_747-8-14.jpg

Last edited:
Cargo operators still like the 747s. On a per pound basis, their cargo is much more profitable than passengers. Fuel price is. It as big of a motivating factor as is cargo carrying capacity. Nice thing with a 747 is that if you loose an engine, you continue onto your destination, rather than immediately diverting.

Back