cataracts ??

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
How long are you usually grounded for following cataract surgery?

I've been told I have early cataracts. I still can pass the eye test easily.

My wife recently had both her eyes done and had a dramatic improvement in her eyesight. She's now pestering me to get my eyes done.

I agreed to an evaluation. If indeed the eye doc says do them--how long will I be grounded for?

Thanks

Paul
N1431A
N83803
2AZ1

My bride had both eyes done at 54. The eye docs are seeing younger and younger people with cataracts. She opted for the new lenses that can be focused by the eye's muscle. One eye is set for close up and one eye is set for distance. According to her surgeon only women should do this though. Pretty amazing technology. She can see amazingly well now, especially at night. She has more confidence driving and seeing things she could not before. Need glasses only for really small print, and computer work if more than an hour or so.

The surgery is very simple (as a patient) and the results are very dramatic.

My mom is having it done next week. She should have done it 10 years ago, but was told (wrongly) they need to "ripen". That is old school nonsense. If you have cataracts get it done. You will be glad you did it sooner rather than later.

JMHO.

Last edited:
maybe use eye drops for cataracts from ethosheaven to speed up the healing process

My dad, mid-70s, got his done a couple months ago. They did one side first, then did the other a couple weeks later. That let him get a side-by-side comparison for a while. A huge difference. Now, for the first time in probably 60 yrs, he doesn't need glasses. Things sure have come a long way since the days my grandparents use to have to wear those Coke bottle glasses after their cataract surgeries.

My bride had both eyes done at 54. The eye docs are seeing younger and younger people with cataracts. She opted for the new lenses that can be focused by the eye's muscle. One eye is set for close up and one eye is set for distance. According to her surgeon only women should do this though. Pretty amazing technology. She can see amazingly well now, especially at night. She has more confidence driving and seeing things she could not before. Need glasses only for really small print, and computer work if more than an hour or so.

The surgery is very simple (as a patient) and the results are very dramatic.

My mom is having it done next week. She should have done it 10 years ago, but was told (wrongly) they need to "ripen". That is old school nonsense. If you have cataracts get it done. You will be glad you did it sooner rather than later.

JMHO.

I am seriously looking at those lenses to try to get rid of reading glasses. This has been without a doubt the most annoying 6 months of my life.

My dad, mid-70s, got his done a couple months ago. They did one side first, then did the other a couple weeks later. That let him get a side-by-side comparison for a while. A huge difference. Now, for the first time in probably 60 yrs, he doesn't need glasses.

Same thing with my dad, except that he is a couple of months shy of 90. His comment immediately post-op? "I didn't know I had that many wrinkles on my face"

Cataracts?

I like 'em. I know some folks prefer Rincorns, but they're nuts.

Same thing with my dad, except that he is a couple of months shy of 90. His comment immediately post-op? "I didn't know I had that many wrinkles on my face"

All my wife could see looking out the winds at the yard was a green blur. After surgery she could see individual blades of grass. It is truly an amazing surgery.

I am seriously looking at those lenses to try to get rid of reading glasses. This has been without a doubt the most annoying 6 months of my life.

I wear clear glasses with readers on the bottom. Have for years. Available on line. :D

> The surgery is very simple (as a patient) and the results are very dramatic.

All surgery has risks. My father lives in a rural area. The cataract doc visits
the nearby hospital once/month. Less than 90 days ago, he underwent this
"very simple" surgery.

Something went significantly wrong on the first eye. Obviously wrong. She
muttered an explicative. Resulted in bleeding inside the eye. She then
proceeded to duplicate the mistake on the other eye.

Local/rural hospital and doc were not equipped for these problems. By the
time he could get to big city, teaching hospital ... too late. Result:
Blindness. Then there is the insult of being billed for this "accident" and all
the follow-up procedures.

*Understand* the doc's Plan-B & Plan-C. If they don't have a SOLID GOLD
Plan-B. Then they have the wrong Plan-A.

This was a hospital that he's volunteered at for 15-20 years. It was part
of his social fabric. As a result of the mistakes, the hospital immediately
lawyer'd-up; and have revoked his volunteer access/status.

Overnite; he went from living independently, to requiring assistance for
most tasks ... and having his social network taken away.

I am NOT seeking sympathy or advice. Just cautioning that "very simple"
surgery does have risks.

Last edited:
You can have cataract surgery any time you ask a surgeon to do it. If insurance won't pay for it then you will be told the cataract needs to "ripen." And if you want to have cataract surgery on your eye(s) you better be sure it's necessary....like any surgery, you can be in the best surgical hands and not have the outcome you might have wished for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endophthalmitis

She should have done it 10 years ago, but was told (wrongly) they need to "ripen". That is old school nonsense. If you have cataracts get it done. You will be glad you did it sooner rather than later.

JMHO.

If you have cataracts significant enough to cause a decrease in vision, there is indeed no point in waiting for them to 'ripen'. The surgery doesn't get any easier, on the contrary waiting too long makes it more difficult for a number of reasons (one of them is that the it requires more ultrasound energy to break up the lens).

If you dont have visually significant cataracts, surgery is not going to lead to improvement of your vision.
The exception to that are individuals who have a refractive error and have problems with their spectacles or contacts. In some of those cases, a 'clear lens exchange' (cataract surgery without a cataract) can be a worthwhile option rather than doing Lasik or PRK.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back