Cataract surgery

I got it. (groan)

I guess it is time for an update. I ended up seeing three eye surgeons.

The original referral was to a gung-ho type who took the tests done by the opthamologist and took a couple of questions, but didn't really go into any details. He stated that if I waited too long for the surgery, the cataract might harden and become more difficult to remove. He stated that I don't have glaucoma. He was in kind of a rush. I didn't schedule the surgery then, but said I would call later with my decision or to schedule surgery.

One second opinion surgeon didn't believe I needed to have cataract surgery at this time because the cataracts are just developing and it might be better to wait and let them develop more. However, he did a couple of tests looking for glaucoma and found an image in one eye where the blood vessels seem to be pushed to one side of the optic nerve. He thought there might be a possibility of glaucoma developing. He scheduled me for three more visits for tests for glaucoma and for eye muscle weakness that contributes to double vision. I have had a correction for double vision in my eyeglasses for two years. When I went back, I was given a peripheral vision test which showed good peripheral vision.

The other second opinion surgeon said that the cataracts are small and the decision to remove them amounts to my decision that they are causing difficulty with driving or flying or reading or anything else that is important to me. Some people with cataracts such as I have get the surgery and are thrilled with the results. Others with cataracts worse than mine don't want the surgery and get along fine. He said that I should have them checked twice a year and in any case, should have them removed before I'm 80 because they will probably start to harden by then. He said that I don't have glaucoma and that my peripheral vision is good. (His assistant had wiggled her fingers around the side of my face and asked if I could see them.) He said that since my double vision is corrected by my glasses, then don't get surgery to fix it. If I were to get surgery for it, do it AFTER cataract surgery because the cataract surgery would affect those muscles and then it might need to be done again.

He went on to state that sometimes an ophthalmologist cannot correct vision better than the current prescription and can detect some cataract. In my case, his assistant was unable to correct my vision better than my current glasses, so it is a good guess that this is what happened. So, the ophthalmologist's recommendation is to get the cataracts removed to help with the vision. Cataract surgery is 90 to 97 percent successful. So it is not without its small risks.

Although the cataract surgery replaces the natural lens with an artificial lens that corrects for my near sightedness and myopia, it doesn't correct for the double vision. So I'd still need glasses for distance and, of course, would need to start wearing glasses to read.

I decided to cancel the further appointments with the 'glaucoma' surgeon and will be going back to get new glasses from the original doctor (or maybe somewhere else--I haven't decided).

Thanks to all for your input. I feel more confident and informed.

I got it. (groan)

I guess it is time for an update. I ended up seeing three eye surgeons.

The original referral was to a gung-ho type who took the tests done by the opthamologist and took a couple of questions, but didn't really go into any details. He stated that if I waited too long for the surgery, the cataract might harden and become more difficult to remove. He stated that I don't have glaucoma. He was in kind of a rush. I didn't schedule the surgery then, but said I would call later with my decision or to schedule surgery.

One second opinion surgeon didn't believe I needed to have cataract surgery at this time because the cataracts are just developing and it might be better to wait and let them develop more. However, he did a couple of tests looking for glaucoma and found an image in one eye where the blood vessels seem to be pushed to one side of the optic nerve. He thought there might be a possibility of glaucoma developing. He scheduled me for three more visits for tests for glaucoma and for eye muscle weakness that contributes to double vision. I have had a correction for double vision in my eyeglasses for two years. When I went back, I was given a peripheral vision test which showed good peripheral vision.

The other second opinion surgeon said that the cataracts are small and the decision to remove them amounts to my decision that they are causing difficulty with driving or flying or reading or anything else that is important to me. Some people with cataracts such as I have get the surgery and are thrilled with the results. Others with cataracts worse than mine don't want the surgery and get along fine. He said that I should have them checked twice a year and in any case, should have them removed before I'm 80 because they will probably start to harden by then. He said that I don't have glaucoma and that my peripheral vision is good. (His assistant had wiggled her fingers around the side of my face and asked if I could see them.) He said that since my double vision is corrected by my glasses, then don't get surgery to fix it. If I were to get surgery for it, do it AFTER cataract surgery because the cataract surgery would affect those muscles and then it might need to be done again.

He went on to state that sometimes an ophthalmologist cannot correct vision better than the current prescription and can detect some cataract. In my case, his assistant was unable to correct my vision better than my current glasses, so it is a good guess that this is what happened. So, the ophthalmologist's recommendation is to get the cataracts removed to help with the vision. Cataract surgery is 90 to 97 percent successful. So it is not without its small risks.

Although the cataract surgery replaces the natural lens with an artificial lens that corrects for my near sightedness and myopia, it doesn't correct for the double vision. So I'd still need glasses for distance and, of course, would need to start wearing glasses to read.

I decided to cancel the further appointments with the 'glaucoma' surgeon and will be going back to get new glasses from the original doctor (or maybe somewhere else--I haven't decided).

Thanks to all for your input. I feel more confident and informed.

Double Vision. I love that song by Foreigner. :D

I'm glad things are working out for you, AP. :thumbsup:

Good on you for getting a couple of extra opinions, and good on the other docs for giving you so much extra info.

The third guy sounds like he put some thought into your particular situation. I would stick with his assessment.

I had one eye done a year ago, when I walked outside the next morning I immediately called the Dr. and scheduled the other eye to be done ASAP, the improvement was so great.
Do it, you will wonder why you waited so long to have it done.

Chris

I had one eye done a year ago, when I walked outside the next morning I immediately called the Dr. and scheduled the other eye to be done ASAP, the improvement was so great.
Do it, you will wonder why you waited so long to have it done.

Chris
That reminds me of my grandfather. He was about to go buy a brand new TV because he thought the color was going out until he had cataract surgery on one eye and then realized, there was nothing wrong with the TV.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back