Catalina

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
Nice write up on flying to Catalina in the March 2020 AOPA mag

I watched the air cargo C 47 arrive at Catalina, with the ceiling 100 feet above the runway, swirls lower. The guys with the trucks were sure he would come in, but as an Instrument pilot who had reviewed the VOR approach, I doubted it. About on time for the scheduled arrival, the distant rumble of radial power began to be heard, and I waited to hear him pass overhead for the approach, but instead, the C 47 appeared at the end of the runway, barely above the pavement, touched down, and taxied over to the trucks. The drivers said "See"

When the pilot came off the plane, I asked about the arrival, and he explained he merely called the tower to find if the clouds were above the runway, and they were, he flew in just below the base, which was just above the runway, and landed straight in. Apparently, that kind of weather is frequent there. We then went up to the cockpit for a tour of his electronics, and refresher on the proper operation of the '47. Great planes, and I have been transported in them several times, as well as the DC 3 version.

Back