Cash-strapped Air Force can't afford memorial flyover...

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
..so private pilots step up to do the flight for servicemen shot down over Viet Nam and recently interred in Arlington. Story.

Memorial flyovers are put in the same category as sporting event flyovers and air shows -- not essential to operations, and therefore prohibited as part of sequestration.

As someone who has served in the military I can assure you that at least 30% of the budget to DoD is wasted like this.

Here's one of my most recent favorites. We spent $34 million to build a base in Afghanistan that we'll never use - and they knew half way though through the construction they wouldn't be using it. Seriously, $34 million??? Now they're talking about just tearing it down as opposed to handing it over to the Afghani's to turn into a place to store their harvested poppy.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...lding-in-afghanistan-that-was-never-used?lite

I make good money and pay around $40k a year in federal income taxes. Think of how many people had to pay taxes to build that...and it's a total waste.

The problem is they're screwing the guy who pays $40k in taxes because they take his money, spend it all, then print more so they can spend more, all while the real value of the money the $40k taxpayer goes down. We'd be doing alright if they just spent what we gave em...

As someone who has served in the military I can assure you that at least 30% of the budget to DoD is wasted like this.

Here's one of my most recent favorites. We spent $34 million to build a base in Afghanistan that we'll never use - and they knew half way though through the construction they wouldn't be using it. Seriously, $34 million??? Now they're talking about just tearing it down as opposed to handing it over to the Afghani's to turn into a place to store their harvested poppy.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...lding-in-afghanistan-that-was-never-used?lite

I make good money and pay around $40k a year in federal income taxes. Think of how many people had to pay taxes to build that...and it's a total waste.

The sad thing is, nobody paid taxes to build that, bonds were sold to the Fed to build that, taxes just go to pay the interest on those bonds and the fees for printing the money. Taxes don't fund the government, taxes fund the Fed, the Fed (and whomever else will buy the bonds like China) funds the government. The Fed also turns around and sells as many bonds as possible.

Memorial flyovers are put in the same category as sporting event flyovers and air shows -- not essential to operations, and therefore prohibited as part of sequestration.

too bad AF1 isn't in the same category ...

And the back up and the 6 C-5As that form the flying entourage.

Not to mention all the security staff that goes with them.really appreciate the use of the helicopter to deliver the dog to cape cod for vacation.

I don't think this is new. We've had cessnas and cherokees fly over football games. I'm not gonna lie though, that was kinda funny. The star spangled banner was probably done playing by the time they were done flying over. Not exactly impressive. I do respect those guys for still doing a fly over for a vet though.

Don't worry. They financed it and we all are not even covering the interest payments.

Not to mention all the security staff that goes with them.really appreciate the use of the helicopter to deliver the dog to cape cod for vacation.

No, nothing so pedestrian for the dog named after the President's initials...he got a V-22 Osprey to deliver him.
obama-bo_2641195b.jpg

too bad AF1 isn't in the same category ...
That's the only politician the USAF is flying besides those in the direct Presidential succession chain. But yeah, life would be a lot he easier if he stayed in the White House and didn't drag that 10/30 TFR all over the country with him.

I don't feel the need for government funded fly-overs at interments. Wasting money on a poorly conceived base is not justification for wasting money on fly-overs.

Two USAF officers were repatriated from Vietnam after their remains were discovered.

Then they were interred in Arlington.

You are telling me that the USAF could not find two, three or four Viper pilots who needed some training time to do a fly over of the funeral to show final honors and a welcome home from the organization that sent them to Vietnam in the first place? How truly sad.

The people currently in charge and running the USAF should be sacked - there are many ways to get this done that require little in the way of effort or deep thought.

Photos from a Facebook friend who participated in the flyover yesterday -

All rights reserved to Bill Paisley . . .

Attachments

• 1276951_10201484567572819_293104928_o.jpg
    1276951_10201484567572819_293104928_o.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 1271981_10201484567612820_1281742214_o.jpg
    1271981_10201484567612820_1281742214_o.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 1269482_10201484567932828_1667759163_o.jpg
    1269482_10201484567932828_1667759163_o.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 1102529_10201484567212810_1088559573_o.jpg
    1102529_10201484567212810_1088559573_o.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 25
No, nothing so pedestrian for the dog named after the President's initials...he got a V-22 Osprey to deliver him.
obama-bo_2641195b.jpg

There were other advance people on the TWO ospreys that landed at Martha's Vineyard ahead of the Obamas in the helicopter. If you've ever been around a presidential arrival (being in the DC area I see it a lot), there is *ALWAYS* mutliple units arriving. Even if they're landing at the White House, there are three. If they have to go somewhere not already secured, there will be more.

Back