Cash back credit card gas bonus points and AVGAS experiences?

pj500

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pj500
There are several "cashback" credit cards out there that give bonus points or cash rebate for gasoline bought at the pump.

Although I imagine they don't intend to, has anyone used one of these in a avgas pump and received the associated cash back bonus?

I use my Southwest Visa for all my aviation expenses to rack up frequent flier points.

That way I get points for flying Southwest or flying myself!

I don't know why they wouldn't. Chevron fuel cards work in Chevron avgas fueling stations, and as far as I can tell the rebate is being applied.

my hangar and all the avgas is on my amex/costco card. great rebate at the end of the year.

My card gives double points for airlines travel. I never (rarely) travel on an airline anymore, but when I by fuel from an FBO I get double points. I'm not sure and but I don't ask.

Thanks folks.

What I am really interested is qualification for bonus category spend for gasoline.

To clarify, many cards offer category-specific bonuses on gasoline above and beyond the typical rewards for all purchases.

Often this is restricted to "pay-at-the-pump". These bonuses are typically beyond the general bonus for all purchases are card may provide, and this is the type of bonus I'm specifically interested in.

Examples:
AMEX cash rewards:
3% off all gas
1% off all other purchases.

USBank has one (Cash+) I think it's 3% off gas.

Chase has one (Chase Freedom, 5% quarterly gas bonus).

Chase ink -- 2 miles/dollar on gasoline and travel.

US Bank has one (Cash+, 3% off gas).

Thanks!

My Penfed VISA gives me 5 points/dollar at the gas stations but it appears I only get the standard 1 point/dollar at the airport pumps. Dang!

Most self-serve AvGas pumps have qualified for the Amex rebate for me. Can't say if they're supposed to or not, but they have. Most AvGas from an FBO truck paid at the desk, has not. I suspect it's how the point of sale is encoded in their database.

Note: Most of these rebate deals have a hard cap on them at a certain dollar amount on fuel purchases. Doesn't take too many airplane fill ups to hit the cap. Once there, the rebate isn't useful anymore. Make sure to monitor the cap and switch to some other card that'll give you something for nothing. ;)

Other evilness seen lately, gas stations that change the fuel price at the pump higher for credit card purchases vs debit card or cash. Card companies didn't used to allow this, but it looks like they either don't care anymore or they're not paying attention.

And of course, keep in mind that Amex charges businesses significantly more than Visa/MC. Don't whip out the Amex for perks at your favorite small business if you know the owner and like them. ;) Seeing a trend toward small businesses just refusing to do business with Amex around here.

USBank has one (Cash+) I think it's 3% off gas.

PJ

I have a US Bank cash+ card. I get one percent back on everything and every quarter I must choose (2) 5% cash back and (1) 2% cash back categories. The categories change sometimes and sometimes a category will be listed as a choice for 2% one quarter and the 5% the next, etc. groceries, gas and restaurants are always a choice in one or the other.

I always select gas as one of my bonus categories and, yes, fuel purchases at my home airport...and hangar rental...always show up as gas and get the bonus. I'm not sure if all fuel purchases at other airports are included. I don't track it that closely.

As an aside, my daughter got married last year and I paid for the reception with my card. Restaurants were my 5% cash back for that quarter (and I had forgotten that). I had a real pleasant surprise when I saw my next cash back statement. Over $500 cash back for that one purchase! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Same with Chase Freedom. It's 1% all purchases, but the category changes quarterly. Right now, 5% on restaurants and Lowes home improvement.

Other evilness seen lately, gas stations that change the fuel price at the pump higher for credit card purchases vs debit card or cash. Card companies didn't used to allow this, but it looks like they either don't care anymore or they're not paying attention

The gas stations around here have been doing it for the past few years. One guy owned all but one station in town. So the gas was always 20-30¢ higher then the rest of the state. :eek: He was trying to take advantage of the rich kids at our neighboring private university. :nono:

For awhile it was actually cheaper to buy ethanol free gas from the independent marine station.

Our school uses AvCard for x/c fuel purchases. However, not every airport or self-serve pump takes the card. So sometimes it makes planning x/c a bit tricky.

Other evilness seen lately, gas stations that change the fuel price at the pump higher for credit card purchases vs debit card or cash. Card companies didn't used to allow this, but it looks like they either don't care anymore or they're not paying attention.

Years ago (15 or 20) that was the SOP at nearly all gas stations in the Midwest, at least the parts I frequently traveled. It's rare now though.

A few stations around here (very few) offer a 5 cent/gal discount if you come inside and pay cash but the outside price, debit or credit, is the same.

PJ

I have a US Bank cash+ card. I get one percent back on everything and every quarter I must choose (2) 5% cash back and (1) 2% cash back categories. The categories change sometimes and sometimes a category will be listed as a choice for 2% one quarter and the 5% the next, etc. groceries, gas and restaurants are always a choice in one or the other.

I always select gas as one of my bonus categories and, yes, fuel purchases at my home airport...and hangar rental...always show up as gas and get the bonus. I'm not sure if all fuel purchases at other airports are included. I don't track it that closely.

As an aside, my daughter got married last year and I paid for the reception with my card. Restaurants were my 5% cash back for that quarter (and I had forgotten that). I had a real pleasant surprise when I saw my next cash back statement. Over $500 cash back for that one purchase! :thumbsup:

I have a USBank FlexPerks I think it's called. It's blue. I also have a black one that is my company card that is travel flex perks but I don't see the benefits for that one! It's an older card and gives me 1% on everything except randomly they'll send me a promotion for a higher percentage for a quarter on something. I think last quarter was groceries. I should look into the Cash+ car, sounds better than the current one I've got.

I don't know why they wouldn't. Chevron fuel cards work in Chevron avgas fueling stations, and as far as I can tell the rebate is being applied.

Well they used to until Chevron picked up their ball and went home. It was bummer for me, because I put most of my avgas on it.

Never understood how smart people can believe that they are getting something for nothing.
My CC has no cash back, no flyer miles, no nothing. It also has no annual charge, no this, no that, no nothing. The bottom line each month is the charges I actually made, no other fees.
You are paying for the cash back scams. And that is what they are.

Never understood how smart people can believe that they are getting something for nothing.
My CC has no cash back, no flyer miles, no nothing. It also has no annual charge, no this, no that, no nothing. The bottom line each month is the charges I actually made, no other fees.

Really?

My US Bank card has no annual fee and I pay no interest because I pay my balance in full each month so what exactly am I paying for?

I put EVERYTHING on that card that I can. When I had a mortgage I even paid it with the card.

Last edited:
As a consumer credit cards can be handy to have, and are required for some things.
As a business, I'd rather take cash, as my profit margin goes down due to the fees associated with accepting credit cards. So, I can either raise the prices accross the board to offset those fees, and offer a cash discount, or keep the prices the same except for CC purchases.

Really?

My US Bank card has no annual fee and I pay no interest because I pay my balance in full each month so what exactly am I paying for?

I put EVERYTHING on that card that I can. When I had a mortgage I even paid it with the card.

Heh. Doc doesn't realize there's a number of ways to actively share in the revenue generated by those carrying card balances.

The card companies will happily give you a small fraction of what they're making, to try to entice you to carry their particular card, for that day when your willpower is weak or circumstances convince you to whip out the card and pay instead of being honest, saying you're broke, and declaring bankruptcy.

The answer to this is of course, never considering a card as money. Ever. You either have the money or you don't. The card can't change that.

The Amex I've mentioned (Costco) has an annual fee, but it's identical to the membership fee at Costco. So it's a net wash to me. They've handed me a check for over $500 every year I've had the card. Fee is $50 and I would have paid it anyway, so I'm definitely getting something for nothing. A minimum of $450.

Here's this year's. I haven't figured out what I want to buy from Costco with it yet. Could just buy $20 worth of stuff and pocket the change.

py8yvy3y.jpg

One other card I carry is similar to Doc's, no fee, traditional high interest rate on it, and it sits totally empty other than one charity that requires payment through it.

And then there's a miles card, and that one is going to go away for all the hassle that it's been.

You do have to shop the cards, many suck and aren't worthy of even being carried. I'm not a big fan of these newer ones that require you go "choose a category" but obviously it works for some folks here.

Interestingly, I was reading a study the other day. Two groups of folks working with financial counselors. Mostly on getting debt free, but wasn't the focus of the study.

The control group was told to run purchases however they liked, a second group was told to use their credit card, and the third group was told to stop using cards completely and pay cash for all in-person purchases and checks for bills.

All had to try to stick to their agreed budgets, but all had discretionary allowances built into the budgets.

The researchers were surprised to find that the number that blew their budgets and didn't live within their means was about the same across all three groups. But they also found that gross spending overall was 10-15% higher for the control group and the credit card users, across the board. The people who paid cash, spent less, whether they were within budget or not.

There's something about seeing the cash in your hand and having to hand it over to someone in person that gives even the people who couldn't stick to a budget, pause. If you want to make yourself into a skinflint, force yourself to go take cash out for any purchase and make the deal in cash. Seriously. Not even a check, for a giant ticket item.

What they couldn't determine easily was whether it was that effect or just the inconvenience of having to get cash and/or places they would have bought something that didn't accept cash (Internet, phone orders. Etc.)

Paying for a big ticket item with cash can be fun and could even be educational, when you find out how little cash many bank branches actually have on hand. You also get to fill out government paperwork tracking that you might be a drug lord or money laundering kingpin, which will give you a chuckle or a shudder depending on your particular method of thinking about such intrusions on your privacy. There's definitely nothing like Doctor/Patient privilege between you and your bank when it comes to cash withdrawals.

Anyway, whether it's the inconvenience, or the startling of yourself when handing over a large wad of cash in your hand, doesn't matter. If you play odds, odds are that most people will spend significantly less money if they can only pay in cash.

They used to be able to discount for cash, but not charge more for plastic per contracts with their merchant accounts.

The recent credit card legislation from a couple years ago changed that so they can surcharge for CC.

Most self-serve AvGas pumps have qualified for the Amex rebate for me. Can't say if they're supposed to or not, but they have. Most AvGas from an FBO truck paid at the desk, has not. I suspect it's how the point of sale is encoded in their database.

Note: Most of these rebate deals have a hard cap on them at a certain dollar amount on fuel purchases. Doesn't take too many airplane fill ups to hit the cap. Once there, the rebate isn't useful anymore. Make sure to monitor the cap and switch to some other card that'll give you something for nothing. ;)

And of course, keep in mind that Amex charges businesses significantly more than Visa/MC. Don't whip out the Amex for perks at your favorite small business if you know the owner and like them. ;) Seeing a trend toward small businesses just refusing to do business with Amex around here.

They used to be able to discount for cash, but not charge more for plastic per contracts with their merchant accounts.

The recent credit card legislation from a couple years ago changed that so they can surcharge for CC.

Ahh. Politicians looking out for the good of The People. Warms my heart.

My credit card has no annual fee, gives 1 or 1.5% back, and if I choose to carry a balance, only charges 6% interest. Sounds like you're a smart person that isn't getting everything you might be able to! Granted, my card is through USAA which not everyone can get, but there are similar options available to the general public.

Back