Cash back Costco Visa card

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I received an offer for a Costco visa card. It states "cashback on eligible gas worldwide including gas at Costco".

Does anyone know if this will work with aviation fuel? It says that it works for the first $7000 per year and gives 4% cash back.

Someone recently posted about getting cash back with Amex until they figure out it was avgas. Give it a try. What do you have to lose?

Someone recently posted about getting cash back with Amex until they figure out it was avgas. Give it a try. What do you have to lose?

Because I'd be giving up my card that gives me American Airlines miles in order to get the Cosco card. American miles are worth something because they work with Cathay Pacific.

Well, I guess I'd find out what "eligible gas" entails. If avgas is out, then it's an easy decision, no?

I have been using my Costco Visa for my Avgas since I started buying last fall after finishing my PPL. I do receive the 4% cash back on it.

Suntrust Bank has a Mastercard that give 5% back on gas and groceries (up to a limit and only for one year), but so far, they have paid off for avgas at my local homedrome.

Hmmmm. I never thought of that. I get these offers all the time from Costco, maybe I should take them up on it.

I use the Costco card for avgas and the hangar.

It seems to be variable for me. With some FBO's I got 4% back. With others, I got the default 1% back.

It all depends on how the FBO "coded" their "fuel pump" with their card vendor. Technically aviation fuel pumps are supposed to be coded something different than regular gas pumps, but someone goes in to set it up and sees "fuel pump" and clicks on it, and you get the cash back.

Eventually they catch on. Took Amex about three years at the KAPA TacAir self-serve.

They start to notice an awful lot of $300-$500 fill ups in their historical data, I would imagine... and know that isn't a typical car filling up.

So you just have to try it at your local self-serve and know it won't happen at every one. Never saw it work at an FBO that didn't have a self-serve pump either. But maybe there's some somewhere.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa works for Avgas. I've tried at least half a dozen airports, and every time I got the rewards for fuel, the same as at any gas station. No fee, and a 3% reward for gas.

The 3% reward for gas is bumped up to an impressive 5.25% if you are "Platinum Honors" at BoA, which can be accomplished with a $100k balance at Merrill Edge, for example by rolling some funds into an IRA account there. That 5.25% reward blows away anything else I've found for Avgas.

Last edited:
Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa works for Avgas. I've tried at least half a dozen airports, and every time I got the rewards for fuel, the same as at any gas station. No fee, and a 3% reward for gas.

+1 :yeahthat:

I use the Costco card for avgas and the hangar.

I use the Costco card for everything (just pay it off every month)... Usually see about $150 or so from Costco (Executive Membership Rebate on Costco Purchases) and another $800-1000 check from Citicard (used to be Amex) each year in rebates.

Well dang, I just looked at my BOA statement when I filled up last week at MGW, and there ya have it, 3% back! I never noticed this before.

The 3% reward for gas is bumped up to an impressive 5.25% if you are "Platinum Honors" at BoA, which can be accomplished with a $100k balance at Merrill Edge, for example by rolling some funds into an IRA account there. That 5.25% reward blows away anything else I've found for Avgas.

The only downside being that you have to support the scumsuckers at BoA.

Back