Carrying a special issuance

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Okay, if one gets a special issuance, one is supposed to carry the "Authorization [...] at all times while exercising the privileges of your pilot's license, either on your person or readily available in the aircraft." While I can fold up my medical and keep it for a year in my wallet and still have it legible, I can't really do that with a two-page, single-sided letter for six years. I don't carry my log book with me regularly. Must I carry the original, or can I carry a copy that I've reduced, double-sided, and folded? Even better, if a copy suffices, can I carry it electronically, e.g. a PDF on my smartphone or iPad?

BTW, is the SI valid if it has a non-existent date as the date sent, i.e. March 29, 2011? :confused:

Okay, if one gets a special issuance, one is supposed to carry the "Authorization [...] at all times while exercising the privileges of your pilot's license, either on your person or readily available in the aircraft." While I can fold up my medical and keep it for a year in my wallet and still have it legible, I can't really do that with a two-page, single-sided letter for six years. I don't carry my log book with me regularly. Must I carry the original, or can I carry a copy that I've reduced, double-sided, and folded? Even better, if a copy suffices, can I carry it electronically, e.g. a PDF on my smartphone or iPad?

BTW, is the SI valid if it has a non-existent date as the date sent, i.e. March 29, 2011? :confused:
March 29 2011 is a valid date. Do you mean Feb 29?

March 29 2011 is a valid date. Do you mean Feb 29?
Yup, total brain fart on my part. I was dealing with all these February dates that I read March as February, even though I typed it correctly! :dunno: They got it right, and I messed it up. <self-administered dope slap>

That can be a tough one. I wouldn't recommend you carry your logbook with you anyway, it's best kept safely at home.

I'd make a photocopy of the original SI just to have somewhere in your records. Someone else can answer as to whether or not that suffices to show an inspector, but my thought is to put it somewhere with your flight bag or whatever else you carry with you to the airport. Something that you always take with you would be where to keep it. Hard to have a one-size-fits-all for this since everyone's routine is different.

I would make a copy shrunk to a size which would fit in my wallet, and keep the original somewhere safe. That might not be what the FAA wants, but I'd wait for them to tell me that.

I would make a copy shrunk to a size which would fit in my wallet, and keep the original somewhere safe. That might not be what the FAA wants, but I'd wait for them to tell me that.
This is what I have done. I went to a copy shop, shrunk it down to just a bit bigger than a credit card, and laminated it.

Text is still very legible, just tiny. Fits nicely in my wallet (front pocket, single fold style).

Original is in my flight medical binder at home.

And I do carry a good quality photocopy, original size, in my flight bag. Just incase I get a ramp inspector without a sense of humor.

You mean its not safe to keep your logbook with you on every flight?:fcross:
For those unfamiliar, there are a lot of risks with carrying your logbook on every flight, starting with increased risk of loss and going through the potential for having your logbook examined on the spot by any FAA Inspector who feels like it without time to review it for errors first.

That can be a tough one. I wouldn't recommend you carry your logbook with you anyway, it's best kept safely at home.

Except, of course, when you have to carry it.

"A student pilot must carry the following items in the aircraft on all solo cross-country flights as evidence of the required authorized instructor clearances and endorsements—
(i) Pilot logbook;
(3) A sport pilot must carry his or her logbook or other evidence of required authorized instructor endorsements on all flights.
(4) A recreational pilot must carry his or her logbook with the required authorized instructor endorsements on all solo flights—

But it appears that, as a PP operating under SP rules, I don't need to carry the logbook (contrary to what I had thought).

(No help on the original question, though. Sorry)

Except, of course, when you have to carry it.

But it appears that, as a PP operating under SP rules, I don't need to carry the logbook (contrary to what I had thought).

(No help on the original question, though. Sorry)
I would just make copies of the endorsement pages and last page of logbook and carry that in my bag. No way am I risking carrying around my logbook that way

I would just make copies of the endorsement pages and last page of logbook and carry that in my bag. No way am I risking carrying around my logbook that way
For Sport and Student Pilots, the regulations specifically require the actual logbook, although I'm not sure what an Inspector would say if presented with only copies of the appropriate endorsements.

For Sport and Student Pilots, the regulations specifically require the actual logbook, although I'm not sure what an Inspector would say if presented with only copies of the appropriate endorsements.

Actually, 61.51(i)(3) says, "A sport pilot must carry his or her logbook or other evidence of required authorized instructor endorsements on all flights." That's because there are no ratings printed on an SP ticket. Pretty much everything is a log book endorsement, so it actually makes sense.

In practice, most SPs I know only carry photocopies of the pages that have endorsements on them. That seems to be perfectly legal.

-Rich

Actually, 61.51(i)(3) says, "A sport pilot must carry his or her logbook or other evidence of required authorized instructor endorsements on all flights." That's because there are no ratings printed on an SP ticket. Pretty much everything is a log book endorsement, so it actually makes sense.
That's what I get for shooting from the hip. But for Student and Rec Pilots, it's required. I just assumed without checking that it was the same for Sport.:redface:
(2) A student pilot must carry the following items in the aircraft on all solo cross-country flights as evidence of the required authorized instructor clearances and endorsements--
(i) Pilot logbook;
(ii) Student pilot certificate; and
(iii) Any other record required by this section.
(4) A recreational pilot must carry his or her logbook with the required authorized instructor endorsements on all solo flights--
(i) That exceed 50 nautical miles from the airport at which training was received;
(ii) Within airspace that requires communication with air traffic control;
(iii) Conducted between sunset and sunrise; or
(iv) In an aircraft for which the pilot does not hold an appropriate category or class rating.

Interesting...I wasn't aware that the 2-page Special Issuance had to be carried along with the medical cert.

I scanned mine as a .jpg and keep it on my iPhone as a picture....

Interesting...I wasn't aware that the 2-page Special Issuance had to be carried along with the medical cert.

Either last year or year before, the SI letter included "must be in possession" or something similar...

Either last year or year before, the SI letter included "must be in possession" or something similar...
If the letter says exactly that, then you don't have to have it with you, just "in your possession," which could be in a locked box at home or a safety deposit box at your bank. If it says "personal possession," then it must be where you can produce it right away when flying, like in the plane or in your pocket. And yes, that difference has been adjudicated before the courts.

"close enough" memory just isn't cutting it any more ... I had to verify the letter based on the above. Is says

(in bold)
"This Authorization must be carried at all times while exercising the privileges of your pilot's license, " (wait a minute ... "license"? I thought it was a certificate?) ..."either on your person or readily available in the aircraft."

pretty cut and dried - carried or in the aircraft.

"This Authorization must be carried at all times while exercising the privileges....either on your person or readily available in the aircraft."

For 12 years, no one noticed the synthroid prescription that I always listed on the form. Then all of a sudden, it becomes an Issue, forcing me into the yearly AME trip (and extra tests) instead of the 2 year trip.

The logic of this directive escapes me - the more I thought about it, the sillier it seems. I woke up thinking about it (guess that's what I get for posting just before bedtime). Nothing on my medical certificate itself says "SI" - it is, however, implied by looking at the issue date and "not valid...after" date.

So, what is going to prompt a "lemme see your SI" request?

And, if I do something stupid, auger in, crash 'n burn, is the SI going to survive and cause CSI Grissom to say "Ah, his sleep apnea caused him to fall "Asleep At The Wheel" (cue up Hot Rod Lincoln) - case closed."

"..."either on your person or readily available in the aircraft."

pretty cut and dried - carried or in the aircraft.
That's the definition of "personal possession." Only question remaining is whether the FAA has any objections to a photocopy. For certain documents, like pilot and medical certificates, the original is required, since they want to be able to take away the only acceptable certificate if they feel the need to suspend or revoke it. For others, like W&B data, copies are acceptable, since it's the data which are important, not the paper itself.

Perhaps Bruce knows what the FAS does if an SI is pulled -- must you physicially return the original letter like you physically deliver your pilot certificate to the FSDO if it's suspended? If so, most likely, only the original letter would be acceptable. If they just send you another letter telling you it's no longer valid, and no return is required, then a copy should be OK.

That's the definition of "personal possession." Only question remaining is whether the FAA has any objections to a photocopy. For certain documents, like pilot and medical certificates, the original is required, since they want to be able to take away the only acceptable certificate if they feel the need to suspend or revoke it. For others, like W&B data, copies are acceptable, since it's the data which are important, not the paper itself.

Considering the SI is a boiler-plage letter from a laser printer with no original signature (e.g. blue ink or similar) there's really no way to tell the difference between the original and the copy other than spectrographic, chemical or other analysis.

In fact, my current 3rd class is boilerplate with no original signature (just checked) from the AME boss in SLC.

Considering the SI is a boiler-plage letter from a laser printer with no original signature (e.g. blue ink or similar) there's really no way to tell the difference between the original and the copy other than spectrographic, chemical or other analysis.
I think that if it's shrunk to wallet size, they'd know it's not the original.:wink2:

Most of my airmen reduce the letter to 2x credit card size. The sole requirement is that it be legible- some inspectors will need a magnifying glass. There is no requirement that it be the original.

Grant, just make teeny copies.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back