Carry out pizza rant

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
We had visitors from Germany this week, and they just left yesterday. On Tuesday, the Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) was coming through town and staying Tuesday night. Big parties, Styx concert, seemed like a great time for the Germans, so we decided to participate in the festivities by bicycling, but I needed a couple of extra bikes for our visitors. I went to the local bike shop looking to rent some bikes, and the owner handed over a couple of lightly used Trek bikes. When I asked him how much, he told me to bring a couple of large pizza's back with the bikes. OK, so this morning I was going to take the bikes back so I called and asked what kind of pizza's they wanted. The guy I talked to said that they had a couple of people who were vegetarians, so if one was a veggie pizza that would be great. He also said that if I could get them to leave the cheese off of part of the veggie pizza, that would be even better. As far as the other one, they didn't care. At noon today I called a pizza place and ordered two large pizzas to go. Here is the conversation. This is after all the preliminary questions, like who I am, what my phone number is etc.

Me: I'd like to order two large pizzas to go.
Pizza guy: Would you like a 14" large or a 16" large?
Me: Which is the large? I just want two large pizzas.
Pizza guy: Well they are both large, but one is larger than the other.
Me: I realize that, but I don't order a lot of pizza, so which is the usual large?
Pizza guy: Well, our large used to be 14", but people wanted a 16" large pizza, so we have those too but we call it an extra large.
Me: I'll just take the 14" large pizza.
Pizza guy: What would you like on them?
Me: On one of them I would like sausage and mushroom.
Pizza guy: Do you want that on both of them?
Me: No, just one.
Pizza guy: OK, what do you want on the other?
Me: Do you have a veggie pizza?
Pizza guy: We have a garden pizza.
Me: Does that mean that it has veggies on it?
Pizza guy: Yes.
Me: No meat?
Pizza guy: Yes.
Me: That's what I want then.
Me again: Hey, on that veggie pizza, could you leave the cheese off of a couple of slices?
Pizza guy: We put the cheese on it before we cook it, then we cut it into slices after we cook it.
Me: Yea, OK, could you leave the cheese off of a portion of the veggie pizza that would be the approximate size of a couple of pieces, give or take a piece before you cook it?
Pizza guy, after a long silence: I'll note that on the order.
Me: Thanks, I'll be there in about fifteen minutes.
Pizza guy: It might take twenty minutes.
Me: OK, if I get there before they are done, I'll wait.

So moving on, I load the bikes, go to the pizza place and pick up my pizzas. I ask the guy who is working the pickup window about the veggie pizza, and he tells me that he has no idea what I'm talking about, so I pay for my pizzas, ten dollars more than I thought that it was going to cost me, and leave. Guess what, the veggie pizza has extra cheese. It is written on the box in magic marker under the flier offering the "late night special", X CH. I've been laughing about the whole situation since. What a cluster for two large pizzas.

I''m not sure why 'zactly but that reminded me of Cheech and Chong's "Dave" skit...

Well, the kid at the pizza place is obviously a doof, but it sounds like good folks at the bike shop. Probably not a lot of towns out there with shops that would loan nice bikes like Treks for a couple of pizzas...speaking of pizza, it's been a long time since I've had Great Plains...mmmm.

Trapper John

Let's see...... Sounds a lot like Gumby's on a late Friday/Saturday night (usually the phone rings several times while waiting for the tokers to come in from their getting high break to come answer the phone).

Care to reveal the source of intelligence?

You deserve it. You ordered veggie. If God wanted us to be veg'tarians He wouldn't have made meat.

At least you can laugh about it.

Hey Chris don't knock Gumby's. There's nothing like a giant order of Pokey Sticks after a late night out :)

Of course you tend to regret both the next morning....

Let's see...... Sounds a lot like Gumby's on a late Friday/Saturday night (usually the phone rings several times while waiting for the tokers to come in from their getting high break to come answer the phone).

Care to reveal the source of intelligence?
I don't know if I want to or not. It wasn't Gumby's.

Last edited:
Well, the kid at the pizza place is obviously a doof, but it sounds like good folks at the bike shop. Probably not a lot of towns out there with shops that would loan nice bikes like Treks for a couple of pizzas...speaking of pizza, it's been a long time since I've had Great Plains...mmmm.

Trapper John

Well, I do a lot of business with that bike shop, but they are a bunch of great people there.

Hey Chris don't knock Gumby's. There's nothing like a giant order of Pokey Sticks after a late night out :)

Of course you tend to regret both the next morning....

Ahhh.. Pokey Stix and Pepperoni Rolls... The epitome of 'gut grenades'. ;)

pokey sticks are OK but Gumby's pizza suuuuuuuucks.

Oh, like YOU know where to get good pizza!:goofy::fcross::rofl:

Ive had a few.

Sven & Ole's in Grand Marais, MN is really good.
Wiseguy's in Ely, MN is worth hitchiking in from the airport to get
Noah's Ark in Des Moines is the closest ive ever had to my dads place.
there's a place here in Ames, Jeff's Pizza, that just opened this year that I like, they have a store in Wisconsin somewhere too.

Grand Marais and Ely, MN ... my summer playgrounds when I was a little shaver - lots of family at both places!

Grand Marais and Ely, MN ... my summer playgrounds when I was a little shaver - lots of family at both places!

this summer was my first trip to both. Leah is working up on the gunflint trail NW of Grand Marais for the summer and I had a charter to Ely. nice part of the world. lots of trees though.

my grandparents had a cabin on Devil's Track Lake northwest of Grand Marais, across the lake from the airport. We made numerous treks up the Gunflint. Uncle had a cabin on Clearwater lake - aptly named! :)

my grandparents had a cabin on Devil's Track Lake northwest of Grand Marais, across the lake from the airport. We made numerous treks up the Gunflint. Uncle had a cabin on Clearwater lake - aptly named! :)

we were on Happy Jack and (West) Bearskin Lakes. Clear water is right. Im used to my natural waterways being completely polluted with various farm chemicals and animal waste. It pays to live upstream!

add another:

Mabe's Pizza in Decorah, IA is pretty good. I had the BBQ Chicken which is not something I would typically order and I thought it was good!

pokey sticks are OK but Gumby's pizza suuuuuuuucks.

I always liked it, but I haven't had it in years. It probably tasted better because you could get an extra-large two-topping pizza, delivered, for six bucks. :yes:

Best pizza I've had: Glass Nickel. Started in the Madison area, now also in Oshkosh, Green Bay, and Brookfield (near Milwaukee). (Tony: I'll buy ya some. :yes:)

You stay here, and make certain he doesn't leave

reminds me of some of my students

Back