Carrier landing in an emergency?

I think you would be hard pressed to explain why you thought one of the carriers was your best choice at Norfolk...

I was aiming for the big parking lot behind Mcdonald's and realized I couldn't make it. It was either the carrier or hit all the parked cars.

The stipulation of the scenario is an emergency. You are already under stress. Outcomes of an emergency are often a roll of the dice. I'd take my chances on a 1000' carrier deck over a forest any day.

what are the odds of seeing those 2 choices at the same time in any emergency?

In 2001: 9MM, 12ga, M-16's, M-14's, and 50 cal machine guns. Tied up in port in the U.S. the M-16's, M-14's, and 50 cals were typically locked up. In foreign ports there was usually an overwatch with an M-14 up on the island, 9MM and 12ga issued to the watch. M-16's ready for the RRF to use.

I don't think there are any M14s left in the fleet. There might be a few still out there, but I haven't seen one on a ship in at least 7 years. Pretty much all M16s now with some 12gauge.

I was aiming for the big parking lot behind Mcdonald's and realized I couldn't make it. It was either the carrier or hit all the parked cars.

If you zoom out of that spot, just southeast of the image is the runway....

If you get a choice go for the LH's (helo carriers) since they don't have arresting cables across the first third of the deck. Hit those and it will ruin your day.

If you've lost the engine and have to land on a carrier, your day is already ruined.

I think it's a good way to get shot down.

Just make a radio call, land in the drink, and watch for the Helo.

I don't think there are any M14s left in the fleet. There might be a few still out there, but I haven't seen one on a ship in at least 7 years. Pretty much all M16s now with some 12gauge.

They also used the M-14s to shoot lines across to other ships for things like UNREPS. I used to be a Marine, and the first time I saw it I thought it was pretty cool.

Back