Carrier Landing in a Sandstorm

I would suggest that there is an element of skill there.

Geesh!

I'll bet the engines looked great after injesting all that crud.

It's why Engineers don't like aviators....they constantly using up the potable water to wag down the aircraft and engines. The practice is very understandable, but that doesn't stop the rivalry.

It's why Engineers don't like aviators....they constantly using up the potable water to wag down the aircraft and engines. The practice is very understandable, but that doesn't stop the rivalry.

:lol: I was in engineering making the potable water. We didn't have aviators on my ship. Wasting it was a crime punishable by a blanket party. :yes:

Then again, we had shipmates that didn't use enough! :rolleyes: :lol:

Last edited:
:lol: I was in engineering making the potable water. We didn't have aviators on my ship. Wasting it was a crime punishable by a blanket party. :yes:

Then again, we had shipmates that didn't use enough! :rolleyes: :lol:

I remember it being quite a juggling act when I was CHENG on the LSD. I had to make Feed Water for the boiler and potable water for the crew as well as aviators to wash the birds and for the ACU guys to wash the LCACs. While I understood the need to wash the sand and salt off the birds, there were times I had to turn the spigot off and say 'Sorry, guys. If I don't make more feed water, I can't run the boiler to make you more potable water!' Some understood better than others.

I remember it being quite a juggling act when I was CHENG on the LSD. I had to make Feed Water for the boiler and potable water for the crew as well as aviators to wash the birds and for the ACU guys to wash the LCACs. While I understood the need to wash the sand and salt off the birds, there were times I had to turn the spigot off and say 'Sorry, guys. If I don't make more feed water, I can't run the boiler to make you more potable water!' Some understood better than others.

What I hated was when my guys would say "We have enough water to last until the end of the hitch (crew change) so we shut the water maker down." I would make'em fire it back up and fill the tanks before shut-down. Ya never knew when the thing was going to break so ya gotta give yourself (or the relief crew) some extra time. Of course my point of view was universally decried...

The beauty of ACLS ... hands off and pray ... :)

But that vis - yeah, wow.

Landing on a moving target with 0 vis. Not something I'd want to do. Terrific skill set by the pilot.

OK, I have a query:

A friend of mine, did a couple of tours in nuclear subs (such stories he had!) said that, if you took too long of a shower, they called it a "Hollywood" shower. He never told me why it was so-called.

So:

1. Is this terminology universal? and (if so)
2. What is the genesis of this terminology (if you know)?

If you don't know, but make up something convincing and entertaining, that's OK, too.

OK, I have a query:

A friend of mine, did a couple of tours in nuclear subs (such stories he had!) said that, if you took too long of a shower, they called it a "Hollywood" shower. He never told me why it was so-called.

So:

If you don't know, but make up something convincing and entertaining, that's OK, too.
It means you get to look like tom cruise putting the make on Kelly McGillis after the supposed workout.... And does he use lifts in his shoes?

OK, I have a query:

So:

I think it just relates to a perception of "living the good life."In the Marines they refer to recruits who attended San Diego MCRD as "Hollywood Marines." Because they didn't go through the hell of a South Carolina summer with the sand fleas nipping at their butt, somehow their time in SD wasn't as hard for those of us who went to PI. :)

It means you get to look like tom cruise putting the make on Kelly McGillis after the supposed workout.... And does he use lifts in his shoes?

Lifts?

Hell, he has to stand on a milking stool!

And that Kelly McGillis: Is she hot, or what?

OK, I have a query:

So:

Yes, it is universally true on Navy ships. I honestly don't know where the term originated.

It is a bigger deal on some ships than others. On my first ship (a DDG) we had reverse osmosis units and never had problems with water. 'Navy showers' were unheard of on that ship. The amphibs are typically the worst because we carry a ton of Marines, have lots of water wash requirements for aircraft and landing craft and we have health related limits to making potable water when operating close to the beach for extended periods of time.

Yes, it is universally true on Navy ships. I honestly don't know where the term originated.

It is a bigger deal on some ships than others. On my first ship (a DDG) we had reverse osmosis units and never had problems with water. The amphibs are typically the worst because we carry a ton of Marines, have lots of water wash requirements for aircraft and landing craft and we have health related limits to making potable water when operating close to the beach for extended periods of time.

I was led to understand that making water is energy intensive and (potentially) a little noisy; so, on a long-submerged sub on cruise, it was especially important to conserve.

Also told that the inside of a sub stinks, as does everything you brought off of it.

I was led to understand that making water is energy intensive and (potentially) a little noisy; so, on a long-submerged sub on cruise, it was especially important to conserve.

Also told that the inside of a sub stinks, as does everything you brought off of it.

That was true of the old diesel boats (subs) Not so much with nukes.

Last edited:

It is a bigger deal on some ships than others. On my first ship (a DDG) we had reverse osmosis units and never had problems with water. 'Navy showers' were unheard of on that ship. The amphibs are typically the worst because we carry a ton of Marines, have lots of water wash requirements for aircraft and landing craft and we have health related limits to making potable water when operating close to the beach for extended periods of time.

My first ship was USS Decatur, DDG 31.

My first ship was USS Decatur, DDG 31.
Mine was the Wasp. It was decommissioned a month later. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but a "Navy shower" was also called a three minute shower. A minute to get wet, turn off the water and soap down, another minute to rinse, turn off the water and soap down a second time, then a final minute to rinse down and get out. Sometimes we had a "monitor" to make sure that no one took a "Hollywood" shower, which was more than three minutes. It also wasn't just to conserve water, it was because there were always other guys waiting a turn. If someone was taking too much time, everyone waiting would start yelling, "get done Hollywood." That's the way I remember it, but it was a long time ago. :)

Nimitz, Connie and Ranger for me. Nuke boat (Nimitz) made more fresh water than we could use but still had navy shower restrictions. The other 2 would go on water ration 5 minutes after leaving port, it seems.

If he was actually on the controls, yes.
The HUD captions aren't right for a coupled approach if that's what you're implying. Or did you mean he had one hand over his eyes and the other on the handle? :D

Nauga,
who doesn't want to meet Clara Shipp

Mine was the Wasp. It was decommissioned a month later. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but a "Navy shower" was also called a three minute shower. A minute to get wet, turn off the water and soap down, another minute to rinse, turn off the water and soap down a second time, then a final minute to rinse down and get out. Sometimes we had a "monitor" to make sure that no one took a "Hollywood" shower, which was more than three minutes. It also wasn't just to conserve water, it was because there were always other guys waiting a turn. If someone was taking too much time, everyone waiting would start yelling, "get done Hollywood." That's the way I remember it, but it was a long time ago. :)

What years were you there? I'm on the current WASP and we have some old cruise books from CV-18.

We have a few items onboard from past WASPs.

I'm not a submariner myself, but every sub guy I know would confirm that.

Most stories involve wives insisting their husbands strip in the garage before entering the house after return from deployment. Months on end of living in recycled air (and funk) can do some amazing things.

Most stories involve wives insisting their husbands strip in the garage before entering the house after return from deployment. Months on end of living in recycled air (and funk) can do some amazing things.

That was just so the boyfriend could sneak out the front door...

A badass video of a standstorm landing has turned into a conversation of how long men on ships soap up in the shower...

I guess all those jokes about the Navy are true. :D

The HUD captions aren't right for a coupled approach if that's what you're implying. Or did you mean he had one hand over his eyes and the other on the handle? :D

Nauga,
who doesn't want to meet Clara Shipp

Yeah I wasn't sure of the indications for an ACLS in the HUD so wasn't sure "if" he/she was on the controls or not.

I think I finally saw the flight deck about the time he caught the wire and landed. Impressive, to say the least.

Back