Carrer change to fliying

Wow, ya...that seems like a good reason to get traffic over to the other side of the airport. I never knew there was a reactor out there. Do they still have the big cooling towers, or is it just a big pile of nuclear waste and nothing cool?

The casual observer would never know there used to be a nuclear power plant. However, if one were to drive down the access road the eventual NO TRESPASSING signs mean business, as do the remaining security personnel.
The nuclear waste had been railroad-shipped to a far away storage facility but when it arrived at its destination there was some leakage from the rail cars and the shipment was refused and sent back to Wiscasset. My limited understanding is that said waste is stored in subterranean sealed vaults pending reassignment to the delayed "Yucca Mountain" facility.
I think there are a couple PoA members who are professionally informed about the technical details of said storage.

I have the 23rd, 24th, 29th, and 30th off from flying. I'll have to get permission from my real boss, but I may try to head out your way one of those days if the weather is good.

Any of those would work for me.

HR

A few are air cooled, but they tend to run for only a short time. And they make the greatest thermals.

There are several sitting near large bodies of water that just run water/water heat exchangers and have no towers.

Wow, it took as long as posts 27 and 29 to say what I wanted to say when I read the original post.
Not that my spelling is always flawless, but I noticed it too. I was guessing that the OP is not a native English speaker because of the question about schools, "in the US", so I was cutting him or her a little slack.

Not that my spelling is always flawless, but I noticed it too. I was guessing that the OP is not a native English speaker because of the question about schools, "in the US", so I was cutting him or her a little slack.

Good point - maybe I was a little harsh. Yet the universal language of aviation is ....

Over on the ASN board there's currently discussion about an email that a number of the volunteers have received that is apparently not from a native English speaker. It's generally been considered to be suspicious because of that fact, plus that the author asks what airport the instructor teaches out of without identifying where he is located geographically. He asks some other questions about instructor policies, costs, etc. that I personally found reasonable. I won't quote from the letter here for security reasons. :)

Over on the ASN board there's currently discussion about an email that a number of the volunteers have received that is apparently not from a native English speaker. It's generally been considered to be suspicious because of that fact, plus that the author asks what airport the instructor teaches out of without identifying where he is located geographically. He asks some other questions about instructor policies, costs, etc. that I personally found reasonable. I won't quote from the letter here for security reasons. :)

There was someone over on the airlinepilotcentral forums that asked about cockpit door procedures post 9/11. That thread was closed pretty quick. This seemed like a legitimate thread, with poor spelling. Like most of my posts.

It would seem that any Moderator could do it; and I'm surprised it hasn't been done, in view of some of the comments --- (and I'm not claiming immunity).

HR

Gaby, I don't think that 29 is too old to start doing anything so why would flying be any different? I started my long, strange trip into flying for work at age 30. While I didn't take a structured route towards a life in aviation I've certainly had one since making the change. I've done instruction, charter, corporate, airline and now governmental and I can tell you that it's all out there for you. Each job has it's plusses and minuses and excuse the pun, ups and downs. If this is where you want to be, take a deep breath, step off and don't look back. Just do it and if it's not what you thought it would be, fall back, regroup and try something else. Good luck!

Back