Carrer change to fliying

G

Gaby78

Hello pilots ans students

I am making a carrer change at 29 years old. Among other things i wanted to explore the aviation field.

Is it posible, or lets say, worth it, realistic, etc,,to start a fliying pilot carrer at my age?

What would be my best options or correct planning? what are the best schools in the US? the ones that you would recommend,, what will it cost me to study and years that will take me (on average) up to having the maximum qualifications to live of this profession?

Any other fact or suggestion will be greatly apreciated

I am making a carrer change at 29 years old. Among other things i wanted to explore the aviation field.

Is it posible, or lets say, worth it, realistic, etc,,to start a fliying pilot carrer at my age?

What would be my best options or correct planning? what are the best schools in the US? the ones that you would recommend,, what will it cost me to study and years that will take me (on average) up to having the maximum qualifications to live of this profession?

That would depend on your current situation, level of education, level of pilot certification, level of masochism, and love of Raman noodles.

That would depend on your current situation, level of education, level of pilot certification, level of masochism, and love of Raman noodles.

LOL

I have a bachelor degree in liberal arts,,thats it. No training or anything related to ailrplanes, no family or kids.

When I was training at ATP, then at training for my current company, there were many people much older than you. It's certainly do-able. But like Henning said, how much do you like Raman?

In all seriousness, though...if you really want to do it, it's never too late to start.

Well I'm 45 and making a career change so I hope YOU aren't too old!

The question is... What KIND of flying career do you want? You could pretty much do anything from your age and degree.

MM

LOL

I have a bachelor degree in liberal arts,,thats it. No training or anything related to ailrplanes, no family or kids.

Well, a bachlors of liberal arts isn't worth much, but it's good enough to get you in the door with the majors. You sound like you can live a couple of years on next to nothing (as long as you don't have a bunch of debt). Thing is, you'll need at least $25k to get to the point of being hired for a $18-23k job (that's first year, it gets progressively better, in 5 or 6 years you start applying for the majors and in 15 years, you'll be doing pretty decently, that is if you haven't been furloughed a half a dozen time in the mean time. Every time you switch companies, you go to the bottom of the seniority list.). If you have capital resources, you would be wise to buy an airplane, preferably a twin, and train in it then instruct in it when you get that far. It's more money off the bat, but a better deal in the long run.

I've got an extra copy of the Professional Pilot Career Guide sitting around I'll send you if you want. It's a little outdated but will have lots of good basic info about the types of jobs out there. It completely ignores agricultural flying for some reason however.

I've got an extra copy of the Professional Pilot Career Guide sitting around I'll send you if you want. It's a little outdated but will have lots of good basic info about the types of jobs out there. It completely ignores agricultural flying for some reason however.

Mmmmmmm.... he has a liberal arts degree, something tells me he wouldn't fit in...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well, a bachlors of liberal arts isn't worth much, but it's good enough to get you in the door with the majors. You sound like you can live a couple of years on next to nothing (as long as you don't have a bunch of debt). Thing is, you'll need at least $25k to get to the point of being hired for a $18-23k job (that's first year, it gets progressively better, in 5 or 6 years you start applying for the majors and in 15 years, you'll be doing pretty decently, that is if you haven't been furloughed a half a dozen time in the mean time. Every time you switch companies, you go to the bottom of the seniority list.). If you have capital resources, you would be wise to buy an airplane, preferably a twin, and train in it then instruct in it when you get that far. It's more money off the bat, but a better deal in the long run.

Not that it pays well, but the pay for a first year regional FO is better than they make it out to be. The minimum guarantee, certainly, is between $18-23K, but the odds that you'll only fly the minimum are fairly slim. At my six month anniversary with one of the lowest paying regionals in the country, flying the smallest regional plane in use today (disregarding Cape Air), I had already netted $15.8k and have flown close to 800 hrs. Not great, but it's been enough to support my fiance, her retarded cat, and myself, fairly comfortably. I hardly pick up any over time, and I'm home darn near to every night (that's a factor of our out-station basing, it will be three to four nights away with, usually, four days off in between, once I go to hub-basing).

5-6 years to apply to a major is a bit of an over statement in today's climate, too. Of the four CAs I fly with regularly, three of them were in the same indoc class 2 years and 3 months ago. All three of them have their resumes in with COA, Spirit, NetJets, and a handful of others. At least one of them is going to Spirit next month. This was the first commercial job for any of them. The fourth CA has been with the company for about 93 years, and has no plans of going anywhere else, so he's kind of the exception.

As far as the cost to get into it...$25k+ if you want to get there super quick. It's a lot of money for not a lot of pay, but if you want to fly A LOT, in all types of airports, and all types of weather, getting paid for flying is the best way to go.

Regionals are hiring like MAD right now, so if you want to fly for an airline, now's the time to get into it. It varies from company to company, but almost everyone is so short staffed that they're hiring as fast as they can, flying you 80-90 hrs a month, and upgrading in a big hurry. The days are long, the rest periods are never long enough, the passengers are obnoxious and the schedulers are worse, but in the end it's the best job I've had.

Not that it pays well, but the pay for a first year regional FO is better than they make it out to be. The minimum guarantee, certainly, is between $18-23K, but the odds that you'll only fly the minimum are fairly slim. At my six month anniversary with one of the lowest paying regionals in the country, flying the smallest regional plane in use today (disregarding Cape Air), I had already netted $15.8k and have flown close to 800 hrs. Not great, but it's been enough to support my fiance, her retarded cat, and myself, fairly comfortably. I hardly pick up any over time, and I'm home darn near to every night (that's a factor of our out-station basing, it will be three to four nights away with, usually, four days off in between, once I go to hub-basing).

5-6 years to apply to a major is a bit of an over statement in today's climate, too. Of the four CAs I fly with regularly, three of them were in the same indoc class 2 years and 3 months ago. All three of them have their resumes in with COA, Spirit, NetJets, and a handful of others. At least one of them is going to Spirit next month. This was the first commercial job for any of them. The fourth CA has been with the company for about 93 years, and has no plans of going anywhere else, so he's kind of the exception.

As far as the cost to get into it...$25k+ if you want to get there super quick. It's a lot of money for not a lot of pay, but if you want to fly A LOT, in all types of airports, and all types of weather, getting paid for flying is the best way to go.

Regionals are hiring like MAD right now, so if you want to fly for an airline, now's the time to get into it. It varies from company to company, but almost everyone is so short staffed that they're hiring as fast as they can, flying you 80-90 hrs a month, and upgrading in a big hurry. The days are long, the rest periods are never long enough, the passengers are obnoxious and the schedulers are worse, but in the end it's the best job I've had.
Wow, Matt, you've almost convinced me to switch careers there!:D

Mmmmmmm.... he has a liberal arts degree, something tells me he wouldn't fit in...:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Hey, I've got a liberal arts degree, from a great college, and I'm still rough around the edges enough to spit tobacco with those guys.

Maybe because I grew up with it. In college I was sitting in front of the fire hall talkin' stuff every weekend ;)

Wow, Matt, you've almost convinced me to switch careers there!:D

Yeah, I'm in agreement there, Matt makes a pretty convincing argument. I think I'm going to take a longer crack at this engineering gig first, though... at least long enough that I've grossed more as an engineer than I paid to get my engineering degree! :yes:

I would say that at 29 it's definitely not too late to change careers. Figure there are a good number of people who retire from the military at 45 or so, and they then go ahead and start career #2.

Henning mentioned buying your own airplane and training in it, preferably a twin. Depending on what you're doing, this may be logical (plus twins are ridiculously cheap to buy these days), but if you have zero flying experience, get some time in a 150, 172, or equivalent Piper (Cherokee, etc.) for your basic PPL training first. Buying still may make sense for you, seeing as planes don't end to lose resale value, especially if you figure you only end up using the thing for maybe your first 100 hours of instruction before upgrading. I love twins and I fully intend on getting one (and I only have 28.6 hours at this point, with 3 hours of twin time), but especially when you first start doing things like landings, where you will bounce the plane hard enough to launch it back up in the air another 5-10 feet, thus sufficiently hurting your ego (at least, that's what happened to me), having one of those simple, indstructible planes makes sense vs. something with retractable landing gear. Besides, when you first start flying there's enough going on to get used to as-is. :)

If this is where you want to go and you have the capital available, I'd suggest checking out the options where you are - if there are good basic trainers for rent at a reasoanble price, that may be the way to go for your initial training. However I have a friend who bought a Cherokee 180, and has saved a significant sum of money in his training costs vs. renting because of it - plus he's got equity in something that he's likely to be able to sell for the price he paid whenever he chooses.

Now, what to do with the twin - well, one option for you would be to try to get into doing part 135 work with it, and it seems that some demand exists for part 135 pilots and airplanes in the light twin category - figure something in the range of an Aztec or Cessna 310 through the Piper Navajo and Cessna 421 series. You could be entrepreneurial and start your own business that way, but that requires a pretty significant capital investment. Flying for a pre-established company may make more sense.

I'm just throwing a few ideas out there for you. I'm nowhere near an expert, but one thing anyone on here will tell you is that, no matter what you decide to change your career to, you should start flying! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Thank you all guys for all the feedback

how about school,, any suggestions? wich ones are the top ones in all aspects (price ,quality, qualifications,time,etc)

At my six month anniversary with one of the lowest paying regionals in the country, flying the smallest regional plane in use today (disregarding Cape Air), I had already netted $15.8k and have flown close to 800 hrs.

Matt, if you've hit 800 hours in six months, what happens to your income when you run into your max flight times for a 12 month period?

how about school,, any suggestions? wich ones are the top ones in all aspects (price ,quality, qualifications,time,etc)

Check out http://flighttraining.aopa.org/

They have links to a lot of information and resources.

Their magazine last December had a review of College Avaition programs and in the summer I think they had one of other schools. You might find the back copies at your local flight school if they are not available online.

Matt, if you've hit 800 hours in six months, what happens to your income when you run into your max flight times for a 12 month period?

Things have started to slow down last month and this month...I only averaged 84.7hrs last month, and that's about what I'm on pace for this month, so it shouldn't be an issue. That figure was somewhat bolstered by spending the summer flying out of LGA, when we'd have days blocked at 7 hr 57min, and thanks to NY traffic sucking, as it does, we'd fly well over that. When I was in the LEB-LGA system, I was averaging 111.8 hrs per month. It wasn't uncommon for us to time out on the 34in7 (34 hrs in a rolling 7 day period). Now that I'm in the BOS system, it's much less. In the Beech our max for the year is 1200hrs, so that gives a little bit of extra leeway.

That said, I only know of one guy who has timed out for the year early enough that it made a difference (most guys, if they do, it's in the last week of the year) and he basically got a long vacation. They still have to pay you the minimum gaurantee each month, so he went home for a while, then took his wife to Hawaii for a while, all while getting paid. Then when he came back, the clock hadn't reset yet, so they just had him fly a bunch of PT91 ferry flights, which don't count against the 1200, so that he could keep current. Then as soon as his clock was reset, he was right back on the line.

The income will drop a bit, but if you've been flying enough to time out for the year, you'll have enough in the war chest to be comfortable, assuming you haven't been living wayyyyy above your means. And if you're someplace like here that'll still fly your pants off Part 91, you won't be getting as much TT in the air, but you'll be getting per diem out the wazoo (and even when it's from the wazoo, the per diem is still pretty nice), so that helps a lot.

I went to ATP. A lot of people have bad stuff to say about it, but it worked for me. Beautiful planes, great location, quality instructors, and a lot of flying in a "total immersion" environment. It had its drawbacks, but what doesn't? Given the option, I'd go there again. Shameless self promotion: I talk a bit about flying at ATP in my blog...see URL below.

Are you nuts? :eek: :)

I'm going to say that it's both possible and realistic. Whether or not it's worth it is something you need to decide for yourself. You didn't mention what you do currently for work or anything about your monetary situation. You will be way ahead if you are able to finance your flying without going into debt since it will be hard to pay it off later.

As far as your opportunities in the future, aviation is very cyclical. We happen to be in an up cycle now, with a lot of hiring especially at the regional level. This was not the case a short 5-6 years ago, and it will swing back that way at some point. The industry is sensitive to the general economy and the news has not been all that encouraging recently. I know a number of people who made it up the ladder to their dream job and were immediately furloughed after 9/11. Some of them have recently gone back, but due to various factors, the job isn't the same one as the one they left. Still, I would never try to discourage anyone from doing something they really want to do. Just realize that you will be starting from the bottom and there is that "job" aspect to flying for a living that makes it quite different from going for that $100 hamburger. Also realize that there are other types of flying besides airlines which might be an option for you. I have been able to support myself for a good portion of my adult life as a pilot. I won't say that I've had anything resembling a spectacular career but it's been interesting. Although there might have been a few things I would have done differently, in general I'm glad that I took this path.

Are you nuts? :eek: :)

He found this board and has started posting. Shouldn't we already know the answer to that question? ;)

You will be way ahead if you are able to finance your flying without going into debt since it will be hard to pay it off later.

It probably also depends on what your desired standard of living is, and also just how much money you have (a function of the pair). IOW, do you work because you need to, work because you want to, or work because it improves your standard of living vs. not working?

As far as your opportunities in the future, aviation is very cyclical. We happen to be in an up cycle now, with a lot of hiring especially at the regional level. This was not the case a short 5-6 years ago, and it will swing back that way at some point. The industry is sensitive to the general economy and the news has not been all that encouraging recently. I know a number of people who made it up the ladder to their dream job and were immediately furloughed after 9/11. Some of them have recently gone back, but due to various factors, the job isn't the same one as the one they left. Still, I would never try to discourage anyone from doing something they really want to do.

This is really good info, Mari, thanks. :)

Just realize that you will be starting from the bottom and there is that "job" aspect to flying for a living that makes it quite different from going for that $100 hamburger.

From being a Jaguar mechanic, car hauler, and now engineer who gets to toy around with engines (three great jobs considering my interests), I've found that to be the case with anything, sadly. Being an entrepreneur at any of these sure helped though.

Also realize that there are other types of flying besides airlines which might be an option for you. I have been able to support myself for a good portion of my adult life as a pilot. I won't say that I've had anything resembling a spectacular career but it's been interesting. Although there might have been a few things I would have done differently, in general I'm glad that I took this path.

Thanks for sharing this info. :)

That said, I only know of one guy who has timed out for the year early enough that it made a difference (most guys, if they do, it's in the last week of the year) and he basically got a long vacation. They still have to pay you the minimum gaurantee each month, so he went home for a while, then took his wife to Hawaii for a while, all while getting paid. Then when he came back, the clock hadn't reset yet, so they just had him fly a bunch of PT91 ferry flights, which don't count against the 1200, so that he could keep current. Then as soon as his clock was reset, he was right back on the line.

Ah, I didn't know they still paid you the minimums (I think of it as a "retainer") when you time out. That does make it much more reasonable.
What's your operator's policy on doing instruction and other "personal" flying on your off days?

Ah, I didn't know they still paid you the minimums (I think of it as a "retainer") when you time out. That does make it much more reasonable.
It doesn't happen often, but that's what I've heard. It's not your fault that you've dequalified, so if they want you to stay current in their planes (and not go find a job somewhere else, where you'll actually get to fly) they've got to make it worth your while. Now if you dequal because you forget to renew your medical...then you don't get paid during your subsequent "vacation."

What's your operator's policy on doing instruction and other "personal" flying on your off days?

It is "strongly discouraged," and grounds for termination should "outside flying" make you have to miss a trip because of crew rest or max hours conflicts. And you're required to inform scheduling and the chief pilot as soon as practical, preferably before, but certainly as soon after doing this type of flying so they can make an entry in your flying record (and probably yell at you). They don't care if we just go take a plane out and bomb around on the weekends, but other commercial flying/instruction that counts to our 8/34/120/1200 hr limits will probably get you a good talking to.

Last edited:
I learned to fly at age 33, as it had been a life long dream, and at that point finally had the resources and proximity to do it. I played at it off and on for about a decade before getting more serious about it.
At that point, I got my CFI/MEI and continued clocking hrs for the next 6 summers.

Only about 15 months ago did I finally get into a position which justified leaving my previous profession. It required a significant relocation and a total lifestyle change. But I feel I made the right decisions at the right time, so I'm happy.

If you are following a true passion, it is never too late to make a change.

It is "strongly discouraged," and grounds for termination should "outside flying" make you have to miss a trip because of crew rest or max hours conflicts. And you're required to inform scheduling and the chief pilot as soon as practical, preferably before, but certainly as soon after doing this type of flying so they can make an entry in your flying record (and probably yell at you). They don't care if we just go take a plane out and bomb around on the weekends, but other commercial flying/instruction that counts to our 8/34/120/1200 hr limits will probably get you a good talking to.

That seems reasonable to me too - as long as the flying you do doesn't burn up hours of "theirs", it's nice that you can still fly. I've heard horror stories about operators who forbid their pilots to do even noncommercial flying on their off time - one reason given was liability exposure.

That seems reasonable to me too - as long as the flying you do doesn't burn up hours of "theirs", it's nice that you can still fly. I've heard horror stories about operators who forbid their pilots to do even noncommercial flying on their off time - one reason given was liability exposure.

I think they would rather we didn't do anything outside of work other than study and sleep for that same reason, but they don't really say much about it. One of our FO's just got put on the DL because he broke his leg snowmobiling. I don't think keeping us away from Cessnas is going to reduce their liability on a bunch of 20 and 30-something pilots. :) I wouldn't be surprised if the majors and Corporate/Fractional operators are more strict, though...they have a lot more time and money invested in their pilots, and they're a lot harder to replace :yes:.

The story I got from a 135 pilot for a big fractional operator was that they were concerned they would get sued if the pilot had an accident while flying on his own time. Because all the recurrent training and such is provided by the operator, I guess they're worried that some lawyer would feel they breached their duty by training the pilot poorly or something.

You'll find many prospective employers in flying tend to lean towards hiring applicants that spell the name of their chosen career correctly but then again, a few don't care.

Last edited:
They don't care if we just go take a plane out and bomb around on the weekends, but other commercial flying/instruction that counts to our 8/34/120/1200 hr limits will probably get you a good talking to.

In that scenario you're more than welcome to drive to Wiscasset on a weekend and fly my toy. All I need is a couple hours of notice(retirement is great). Right Traffic on #25, but that won't matter if you'll be driving over.

HR

Attachments

• N7872G Returns_1.jpg
    N7872G Returns_1.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 16
  • Newest for Avatar.jpg
    Newest for Avatar.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 17
You'll find many prospective employers in flying tend to lean towards hiring applicants that spell the name of their chosen career correctly but then again, a few don't care.

Ooo -- ooo, my soul brother? And I'm writing from the position of having been reamed-out on another board by someone who flagrantly misused that device known as the apostrophe(and didn't appreciate my having brought it to his attention). :rolleyes:

HR

In that scenario you're more than welcome to drive to Wiscasset on a weekend and fly my toy. All I need is a couple hours of notice(retirement is great). Right Traffic on #25, but that won't matter if you'll be driving over.

HR

I'm just waiting for a good weekend with more than a couple days off, then I was going to bug you about getting together sometime. Right now my days off are Wednesday and Thursday (with the occasional Friday), so it may be a mid week-weekend. I don't mind right traffic any more...that puts it on my side of the plane, at least :). I'll warn you, though, it's been a while since I've flown a single...it might be scary (for you) if you let me take the reigns of your bird...especially the landing part!

I'm just waiting for a good weekend with more than a couple days off, then I was going to bug you about getting together sometime. Right now my days off are Wednesday and Thursday (with the occasional Friday), so it may be a mid week-weekend. I don't mind right traffic any more...that puts it on my side of the plane, at least :). I'll warn you, though, it's been a while since I've flown a single...it might be scary (for you) if you let me take the reigns of your bird...especially the landing part!

As I had noted, I only need short notice. The reason for RT on #25 is that it formerly was LT but in that situation it put DW barely to the left of the reactor dome for the then Maine Yankee Nuclear Plant. That was not a problem until the deactivation and the total dismantling of the big dome. What remained is monumental secure storage of nuclear waste because Yucca Mountain isn't ready to take it off our hands. #7 remains LT, but #25 will be "temporary" RT until further notice.

HR(and the loss of the dome was a visual degradation. That huge white blob could be seen from far away)

Ooo -- ooo, my soul brother? And I'm writing from the position of having been reamed-out on another board by someone who flagrantly misused that device known as the apostrophe(and didn't appreciate my having brought it to his attention). :rolleyes:

HR

I speak the truth.

What a great thread. I love this forum.

Gaby78, be sure to check out Teller's posts and blog. A lot of us have become "vicarious airline pilots" by following his experiences in the business.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you find time to fly. You'll find a finer community of people in aviation than in most other endeavors. Good luck!

As I had noted, I only need short notice. The reason for RT on #25 is that it formerly was LT but in that situation it put DW barely to the left of the reactor dome for the then Maine Yankee Nuclear Plant. That was not a problem until the deactivation and the total dismantling of the big dome. What remained is monumental secure storage of nuclear waste because Yucca Mountain isn't ready to take it off our hands. #7 remains LT, but #25 will be "temporary" RT until further notice.

HR(and the loss of the dome was a visual degradation. That huge white blob could be seen from far away)

Wow, ya...that seems like a good reason to get traffic over to the other side of the airport. I never knew there was a reactor out there. Do they still have the big cooling towers, or is it just a big pile of nuclear waste and nothing cool?

I have the 23rd, 24th, 29th, and 30th off from flying. I'll have to get permission from my real boss, but I may try to head out your way one of those days if the weather is good.

What a great thread. I love this forum.

Gaby78, be sure to check out Teller's posts and blog. A lot of us have become "vicarious airline pilots" by following his experiences in the business.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you find time to fly. You'll find a finer community of people in aviation than in most other endeavors. Good luck!

Well thank you, Matt, you flatter me unnecessarily. You're quite right, though, I have a lot more friends from my flying adventures than I do from my time at any of my other jobs - it really is a pretty amazing community.

HR

Wow, it took as long as posts 27 and 29 to say what I wanted to say when I read the original post.

To the OP, a little unsolicited non-flying advice: any prospective employer will take you much more seriously if you pay attention to things like grammar, spelling, and punctuation, even in informal communications. For my employees, it tells me whether or not they give a feces about their job or careers.

Wow, ya...that seems like a good reason to get traffic over to the other side of the airport. I never knew there was a reactor out there. Do they still have the big cooling towers, or is it just a big pile of nuclear waste and nothing cool?

I have the 23rd, 24th, 29th, and 30th off from flying. I'll have to get permission from my real boss, but I may try to head out your way one of those days if the weather is good.

Many reactors have no cooling towers.

Back