Caribbean Boat Charter

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
Here's a link to a friend of mine. He used to fly with me until our company went bust recently. When everyone got furloughed they tightened their belts. But not Marty. He sold everything and bought a yacht (with some help from in-laws).

Anyway, he is living his new dream. Operating a catamaran for charter with his wife in the Caribbean. Flying with him he showed me pictures of the boat. It's beautiful with he and his wife in one hull and the other for the guests. If you're the type that likes to boat around in the waters off Florida and think it sounds nice consider this my official recommendation. A fellow pilot turned captain...again.

He's been trying to boost his web site on the google rankings. Maybe more external links will help. I'm happy to post it here. Maybe someone takes him up!

http://bngsailing.com/home.html

PS, if you use him tell him Cameron says 'hi'!

I hope that he does well. I suspect that is tough to turn much of a profit in that sort of business but I am just guessing. It would be interesting to look at his profit and loss statement.

I hope that he does well. I suspect that is tough to turn much of a profit in that sort of business but I am just guessing. It would be interesting to look at his profit and loss statement.

The P&L statement will show exactly what he wants to show the inlaws and the IRS......

That boat is not that big of an expense.... Funny, "He sold everything and bought a yacht (with some help from in-laws).

Here's a link to a friend of mine. He used to fly with me until our company went bust recently. When everyone got furloughed they tightened their belts. But not Marty. He sold everything and bought a yacht (with some help from in-laws).

Anyway, he is living his new dream. Operating a catamaran for charter with his wife in the Caribbean. Flying with him he showed me pictures of the boat. It's beautiful with he and his wife in one hull and the other for the guests. If you're the type that likes to boat around in the waters off Florida and think it sounds nice consider this my official recommendation. A fellow pilot turned captain...again.

He's been trying to boost his web site on the google rankings. Maybe more external links will help. I'm happy to post it here. Maybe someone takes him up!

I've met some people here in Puerto Rico much the same. One in particular is doing the sail boat charters and his wife is an artist. They have chosen to live that lifestyle, and are none the worse for it as far as I can see. Happy and carefree.

If he wants his site to rank higher, the text should be rewritten and the page structure changed.
External links will help with PageRank, but links on a forum don't usually rate that highly.
Now with personalized search results, the content structure of the website is everything.

It doesn't sound to me like profit is his main goal. And I hope he is successful in achieving that main goal. I'm jealous.

The next new Henning? :hairraise:

I looked at his schedule/availability for the next few months, and I was impressed with how much of it is already booked. Not sure if those are paying customers or not, but the booking rate was much higher than I expected.

Love to see people living the dream.

I chartered a big cat like that in Florida a few years ago. That was a great Vacation!

The skipper stayed with us for a day, and then I became skipper. My kids were 12-14, at that time and they really enjoyed it also.

The family was much happier being in that big catamaran compared to the Catalina 22 we had at home. They like 'not tilting'.

I lived on a sailboat for twelve years, it is a nice life. Good for them. It really is not about the money, it's about being happy with your lot in life.

-John

The next new Henning? :hairraise:

No chance I would go in business with a boat that small, especially a catamaran. You can earn a living with it and live the life, but you can't make money. You need at least a 70' boat to make money with. Sail boats you have to nest egg money for when you need a new set of sails, standing and running rigging as well, none of it is cheap.

I remember a funny story Marty told my while we were flying.

He and his wife were sailing and he threw out a fishing line. He caught a tuna and went to work bringing him in. Hi wife got all excited for sushi and started making all the trimmings, ginger and soy sauce with cheese and fruit. It was going to be a fine afternoon snack at sea with fresh fish as the main course.

As she was coming out of the galley with a tray of stuff Marty was just bringing the fish along side the boat. As he was reaching for the net the line broke and the fish swam away. His wife was just standing there looking at Marty with..."go get it!" look on her face.

We laughed for awhile over that story.

Washing and waxing, or bilge cleaning? :rolleyes:

Everything, that's all part of the job. Launched today, went on sea trial and started washing after I brought her to the dock. I don't mind being paid to stand in the sun and wash a boat lol. Much better than putting together the ISM package, heck, even bilge cleaning is better than paperwork.

No chance I would go in business with a boat that small, especially a catamaran. You can earn a living with it and live the life, but you can't make money. You need at least a 70' boat to make money with. Sail boats you have to nest egg money for when you need a new set of sails, standing and running rigging as well, none of it is cheap.

That is the way I feel. Probably not a way to "make money."

I appreciate the input. So you agree with me that making money isn't likely to happen with his setup.

He'll make a living if he's careful and does all his own maintenance. If he can live at anchor and use a public dock to pick up passengers, he will even be able to afford alcohol.

He owns a mooring in West Palm Beach.

:confused: Where are there moorings to own? Most everyone just anchors in Lake Worth up there, that's free. BTW, when did West Palm become the Caribbean?

Just south of Peanut Island.

West Palm Beach is not the Caribbean. But with a boat you can go there from West Palm Beach.

Just south of Peanut Island.

West Palm Beach is not the Caribbean. But with a boat you can go there from West Palm Beach.

That would be at least a two week charter with that boat, or pay a Pre/re-positioning fee. A nice week in the Bahamas would be doable from there though, but you have to cross the Gulf Stream...

I'm sure it could be arranged.

Besides, my thread title selection in no way influences Marty's business model or charter locations.

That would be at least a two week charter with that boat, or pay a Pre/re-positioning fee. A nice week in the Bahamas would be doable from there though, but you have to cross the Gulf Stream...

Oooooooooo, scary!

Must take a super seaman to cross the gulfstream. :rolleyes:

I was a super seaman. I won the race as I recall. You shoulda sen it...millions of us racing....but I won! Ah, memories...

Oooooooooo, scary!

If there is a northerly component to the wind, charter guests typically will spend several hours vomiting. That's why we typically pick them up in in Lucaya or Atlantis.

If there is a northerly component to the wind, charter guests typically will spend several hours vomiting. That's why we typically pick them up in in Lucaya or Atlantis.

That's part of why it is called the "Devil's triangle". During nice weather, it is really enticing. During bad weather, it is hell.

Just out of curiosity, what would a 70' boat like that, appropriately equipped, cost?

I'm going out early tomorrow with a couple of other guys to take a 37 foot sailboat from San Juan Marina to Fajardo for the owner. I'm pretty much along for the ride, and to help out a little if need be. Hoping for a nice day. We are going to catch a taxi back.

Everything, that's all part of the job. Launched today, went on sea trial and started washing after I brought her to the dock. I don't mind being paid to stand in the sun and wash a boat lol. Much better than putting together the ISM package, heck, even bilge cleaning is better than paperwork.

I just got back from BVI and two observations that relate to this thread-

1. The seas down there are littered with charter boats just like the one that is the topic of this thread. Both sail and power. Somebody is making money with them. Maybe it's just big Hertz style organizations?
  2. How in the world do you guys keep those yachts so damn spotless? We had little rain showers on and off and every time I would look at one of the big yachts like the one you posted that was tied up, the windows were absolutely spotless. I can't do that on my house, or my boat and I don't live on the ocean.

Oooooooooo, scary!

You certainly can say anything you want to on this forum so feel free to be skeptical but one of my adventures was going over from Miami to Bimini on an 18 foot Thunderbird boat with a 20 foot buddy boat. This was in the summer and you can get some calm weather in that part of the world in the summer.

Just out of curiosity, what would a 70' boat like that, appropriately equipped, cost?

Anywhere from $200k to $2.7MM depending on what market you are working, you can spend even a bit more for new.

I just got back from BVI and two observations that relate to this thread-

1. The seas down there are littered with charter boats just like the one that is the topic of this thread. Both sail and power. Somebody is making money with them. Maybe it's just big Hertz style organizations?
  2. How in the world do you guys keep those yachts so damn spotless? We had little rain showers on and off and every time I would look at one of the big yachts like the one you posted that was tied up, the windows were absolutely spotless. I can't do that on my house, or my boat and I don't live on the ocean.

1, The big companies like Moorings and such make money because they have hundreds of lease back boats in a fleet and most charters are bare boat. The little guys are just making a living and living the life.

2, Work, lots of it, the deckhands are out there before you wake up, and after every rain chamoising down and washing off the salt after every time the boat moves. A lot of crew and a lot of money. Their typical operating expense (not counting fuel and port costs) is about 10% the cost of the vessel annually.

Last edited:
You certainly can say anything you want to on this forum so feel free to be skeptical but one of my adventures was going over from Miami to Bimini on an 18 foot Thunderbird boat with a 20 foot buddy boat. This was in the summer and you can get some calm weather in that part of the world in the summer.

Lots of people make that crossing daily in everything including small boats. As in anywhere else, it can get bad. With some proper planning it's not that bad.

Back