Careless and Reckless

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
We often talk about 14 CFR 91.13 prohibiting careless and reckless operation, but in reality, it prohibits careless "or" reckless, meaning that either one, careless operation, or reckless operation, is sufficient to violate the regulation (if it endangers the life or property of another). It doesn't have to be both. So my question is, what's the difference between "careless" and "reckless"?

:D

More importantly, if you are careless AND reckless, does that get you off the hook?

thinking about 'careless' or 'reckless' driving, personally I think careless is doing something stupid because you weren't paying attention or thinking about it, while reckless is "I know it's stupid but imma do it anyways". just my $.02.

I think that's the all inclusive reg for when you **** a fed off.

We often talk about 14 CFR 91.13 prohibiting careless and reckless operation, but in reality, it prohibits careless "or" reckless, meaning that either one, careless operation, or reckless operation, is sufficient to violate the regulation (if it endangers the life or property of another). It doesn't have to be both. So my question is, what's the difference between "careless" and "reckless"?
Essentially, intent. From an FAA perspective, "careless" is when you didn't realize something was dangerous when you did it but should have known better, while "reckless" is when you knew better but did it anyway. The difference is you get hammered a lot harder for "reckless" than for "careless".

From FAA Order 2150.3B

1. Elements of Regulations. A frequently-cited regulation is 14 C.F.R. § 91.13, Careless or
Reckless Operation. This seemingly simple regulation has numerous elements. The actual
wording is:
CARELESS OR RECKLESS OPERATION
(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an
aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.
(b) Aircraft operations other than for the purpose of air navigation. No person may
operate an aircraft, other than for the purpose of air navigation, on any part of the surface of an
airport used by aircraft for air commerce (including areas used by those aircraft for receiving or
discharging persons or cargo), in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or
property of another.
a. Subparagraphs of 14 C.F.R. § 91.13. The regulation has two subparagraphs.
Subparagraph (a) covers "Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation". Subparagraph
(b) covers "Aircraft operations other than for the purpose of air navigation". Because the two
subparagraphs cover two different conditions, i.e., for the purpose of air navigation vs. other than
for the purpose of air navigation, there must be an item of proof (IOP) that provides evidence to
identify one or the other as appropriate. If evidence shows that an aircraft was being taxied from
the hanger to the line, subparagraph (b) would be appropriate. But if evidence shows an aircraft
to have been on a take-off roll, then subparagraph (a) would be appropriate. There must be
evidence to support the choice. Assume, for example, that the operation was for the purpose of
air navigation and sub-paragraph (a) applies. The elements that must be included as an IOP are:
(1)A person.
(2)Operate (for purpose of air navigation).
(3)An aircraft.
(4)Careless or reckless.
(5)Endangerment.
(6)Life or property of another.
b. First Element. The first element is identifying the person, putting them in the aircraft,
and proving that this person was an operator of the aircraft. Identifying the person and showing
his or her operation of the aircraft may be done through witness statements, a response to the
letter of investigation, documents such as logbooks, or training records, or Air Traffic reports.
The form of the evidence can vary, but who the person is must be documented. For certificated
airman, such as pilots and mechanics, ISIS data on qualifications will be an additional IOP.
c. Second Element. The second element to prove is that the aircraft was being operated for
purposes of air navigation. For an aircraft that is airborne, or taxiing in from a flight, this is
easy. For an aircraft that is on the ramp, or a taxiway, you will need some evidence to establish
whether subparagraph (a) or (b) is the appropriate choice.
d. Third Element. The third element to prove is that an aircraft was involved. A
definition of aircraft is found in 14 C.F.R. § 1.1, General Definitions. Aircraft means a device
that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air. The specific form of the evidence can
vary, but a specific aircraft must be identified through IOPs. A supporting IOP will be a copy of
aircraft registration data from the Integrated Safety Information System (ISIS). [Note:
Ultralights are not aircraft, they are vehicles, with their own definition under 14 CFR part 103.]
e. Fourth Element. The fourth element is selecting between careless or reckless and
providing evidence to support the decision. Careless indicates a lack of care, an act a reasonably
prudent person would not commit if mindful of the potential consequences. Reckless can be
alleged when there is evidence that a person intended to do what they did. It is not necessary to
prove, or even allege, that they knew that their action was a violation of any regulation. For
either choice, the careless/reckless element must be supported by evidence in one or more IOPs.
(1) Example of reckless IOP. For example, during the investigation of a gear-up landing
incident, the evidence may include a statement from the aircraft owner who had personally
advised the pilot the gear system was inoperative or a statement from a passenger who was told
by the pilot that the normal gear system was inoperative. This evidence may indicate that a
charge of reckless is appropriate.
(2) Example of careless IOP. On the other hand, the evidence may include a picture of
the aircraft on the runway with the gear-handle up, a statement from a mechanic saying the gear
operated normally when tested, or a statement from the pilot saying he was preoccupied with
other traffic. This evidence may indicate that a charge of careless is appropriate.
(3) Evidence indicating no violation. If the evidence included a mechanic’s statement
and repair order stating that the gear malfunctioned because of a broken part, then there may be
no violation of 14 C.F.R. § 91.13.
f. Fifth Element. The fifth element in this regulation is endanger. An IOP in a gear-up
landing might consist of evidence documenting the aircraft damage that endangered the property
of another. It is not necessary to show actual endangerment, evidence of potential endangerment
is sufficient. Appropriate evidence in a low flying case might include pictures of a school
playground that was flown over, statements from teachers describing children in the playground
at the time, and the altitude of the aircraft relative to terrain features. Potential endangerment can
often be best explained in the section B analysis.
g. Sixth Element. The sixth and final element in this example requires evidence that the
endangerment was to the life or property of another. If the above gear-up landing example is in
a rented aircraft, the evidence to prove this element could be an ISIS report showing that the
owner is another. Evidence of a passenger in the aircraft would also support this element, as the
passenger is another. If an aircraft flown solo was entirely owned by the violator, and if there is
no nearby property or persons to be endangered, there very well may be no violation.
2. Summary. To summarize, all enforceable regulations include some number of elements and
evidence to support each of the elements must be included in an EIR to support a violation.

No, that would be careless XOR reckless.

Exactly. One of the main reasons in nearly all situations, writing "and/or" in a sentence is incorrect and unnecessary.

Very informative answers. Thanks!

Exactly. One of the main reasons in nearly all situations, writing "and/or" in a sentence is incorrect and unnecessary.

I suspect that it's only incorrect from an engineer's point of view. I don't think the 'exclusive or' is necessarily a part of the grammarian's jargon.

From FAA Order 2150.3B

The fourth element is selecting between careless or reckless and providing evidence to support the decision. Careless indicates a lack of care, an act a reasonably prudent person would not commit if mindful of the potential consequences. Reckless can be alleged when there is evidence that a person intended to do what they did. It is not necessary to prove, or even allege, that they knew that their action was a violation of any regulation.
Pretty much what I said above, but thanks for the documentation. In any event, they are exclusive terms based on intent.

I suspect that it's only incorrect from an engineer's point of view. I don't think the 'exclusive or' is necessarily a part of the grammarian's jargon.

I am pretty sure most English majors cringe at any slashed constructs like "and/or." It makes me shudder! In fact, only in logical documents can I imagine it might be necessary.

In normal English the exclusivity of the 'or' can be determined in context.

"You may have either one apple or one orange."
"Would you care for an apple or an orange?"

Language is fluid, unlike programming, and context can impact the meaning of the words.

Anyway! Totally off subject. I just somehow inherited a gene that makes me crazy at all the slashed/combined words/nouns/verbs in/on sentences and/or texts on/about the Internet/other places (and parenthetical clauses, too, while I'm at it -- since I'm on a roll). :mad2:

:goofy:

I am pretty sure most English majors cringe at any slashed constructs like "and/or." It makes me shudder! In fact, only in logical documents can I imagine it might be necessary.

In normal English the exclusivity of the 'or' can be determined in context.

"You may have either one apple or one orange."
"Would you care for an apple or an orange?"

Language is fluid, unlike programming, and context can impact the meaning of the words.

Anyway! Totally off subject. I just somehow inherited a gene that makes me crazy at all the slashed/combined words/nouns/verbs in/on sentences and/or texts on/about the Internet/other places (and parenthetical clauses, too, while I'm at it -- since I'm on a roll). :mad2:

:goofy:

Understood, although your second example seems little ambiguous, and consequently could be answered in four possible ways:

1. Yes.
2. No.
3. I'd like an apple.
4. I'd like an orange.

A comma might make it less ambiguous:

"Would you care for an apple, or an orange?"

And all those answers are fine in organic languages. The point with the second sentence is there's no reason for "and/or" as you're not adding anything. In either case, a person may want one or both of the options. The first sentence is an example that limits the 'or' to be exclusive.

BTW, lest this gets too far down the rabbit hole, my comment was in fun and a bit for catharsis. We can go back to talking about whatever it is we normally do here, like stealing drunken planes in order to log our scores of pinballs we drop on cars. :)

:D

It's careless or reckless because they are two different things. Careless you don't care about what you are doing, reckless you don't care about the consequences of what you are doing.

To put it simply:

Careless is - oops

Reckless is - Hey ya'll, watch this

Pretty much what I said above, but thanks for the documentation. In any event, they are exclusive terms based on intent.
I hope you're not complaining that someone repeated an answer you gave, Ron. ;)

BTW, if you check you'll find the "careless or reckless" phrase in many state driving laws. And that it has the same kind of application rules as the FAA uses. The FAA's use is nothing special.

Last edited:
At least for FL drivers, they are two distinct infractions:

Careless driving: Any person operating a vehicle upon the streets or highways within the state shall drive the same in a careful and prudent manner, having regard for the width, grade, curves, corners, traffic, and all other attendant circumstances, so as not to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person. Failure to drive in such manner shall constitute careless driving and a violation of this section.

Reckless driving: Any person who drives any vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.

Reckless is the more serious offense.

Back