Career in Rotorcraft

Redpen

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Redpen
Hi, I've been studying and wanting to pursue getting my PPL (H) for years, in hopes of going commercial with it but I have no idea the best financial and practical way to make that happen.. any and all advice would be appreciated, especially on the oddball topic of helicopters. Medically uneligible for the army unfortunately.

Not that a class II is very thorough but are you sure your medical condition won’t disqualify you from getting your physical?

Kinda hard to go the civ route but if you can get approved for about a $50K loan, you got a start. Once you get hired as a CFI you’ve got a foot in the door and shouldn’t have any employment concerns after that.

http://www.autorotate.org/PHPAInfo/BecomingAHelicopterPilot.aspx

Not that learning to fly helicopters is the only consideration for joining the Army, but with the mass exodus of pilots now from all of the branches, you could probably get a waiver for whatever medical condition ails you. What is considered waiverable for a military flight physical ebbs and flows with the needs of the military, and right now every branch is hurting for pilots.

Otherwise, it will be a hefty price through the private sector. Good luck.

Thanks. Aside from more minor issues the disqualifying factor is severe food allergies so I think the AME is ok. Beyond that it doesn't look good.

First I would verify that you are in fact, disqualified from the military, and not just going by what some recruiter told you.

Second, if going the civilian route, I would verify that you can in fact, pass a class 2 physical. You will need this, at minimum for any helicopter job,.

Then, once you've confirmed those, get the money anyway you can and walk into a flight school and don't walk out until you have your ratings. Ok that's a bit of am exaggeration. The point is, aviation is expensive, and the faster you move through the process, the cheaper it is going to be for you. Try to do everything as quickly as possible.

Once you have your Private, Instrument (yes, get it, it'll open many more job possibilities - even though you may never use it) and Commercial, seriously consider, in fact plan on, getting your CFI. It's going to be the easiest, fastest way to build time towards that first turbine job flying tours somewhere. Plus you'll learn a lot and make money while you're flying. Yes, there are other possibilities, but this is the most likely scenario that works for most people.

PJ

That was also once on my bucket list as a dream career...unfortunately I discovered hell pilot wages are still exceptionally low do to low demand and high volume of pilots coming out of the military plus self funding to commercial rotar without an in somewhere already was not finally viable. $50k in training for a $40k job did not make sense.

Dream job is still a Cal Fire Helicopter pilot.

That was also once on my bucket list as a dream career...unfortunately I discovered hell pilot wages are still exceptionally low do to low demand and high volume of pilots coming out of the military plus self funding to commercial rotar without an in somewhere already was not finally viable. $50k in training for a $40k job did not make sense.

Dream job is still a Cal Fire Helicopter pilot.

That's entry level job pay. Once you finish your season of that you can move into utility and that's where you make good money.

PJ

Thanks for all the info guys.

I used to be a climbing guide for rock climbing. I used to say I had the best job in the world.
Then I started working ski patrol. I used to say I had the best job in the world.
Then I started doing high angle rescue (mountain rescue out of a helicopter) with the Riverside County Sheriffs office. I used to say I had the best job in the world.
Then I started doing tailwheel instruction in Alaska. I used to say I had the best job in the world.
Then I started flying a Beaver on floats. I used to say I had the best job in the world.
Then I started flying climbers up to Denali, landing up hill on the glaciers above 8000 Ft. I used to say I had the best job in the world.
Then I started flying helicopters.

Now I know I have the best job in the world.

PJ

I should add that I have never talked to anyone who is stuck in a GOM oilfield job and is unable to move on because he has two ex-wives to feed ;-)

Corrected : I have never met a helo pilot in HEMS, Ag, Utility, Fire, mil and corporate that didnt like his job.

Back