Career Choice Advice

namorcaz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
namorcaz
Hi fellow Pilots! I am not certain this is the best place to post this so I apologize if it's not. I have a bit of an issue with the progress of my career. I started off at a flight school called Aviator College of blah blah blah. Progress was okay. I finished everything in minimums. However, stopping at Private SE, ME, Instrument, and Commercial ME, my school had made a very large mistake with my student loans grounding me for good, while I was starting my Instructor training. I am currently at about 250 hours, 90% ME. I have no clue what I can possibly do to continue with this career choice. I am in school now getting a business degree in aviation, but after this I will still have about 250 hours and no job. Student loans have already been deferred once and I am getting very nervous. If there is anyone with advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Zac

I'm concerned by what you mean, "my school made very large mistakes with my student loans". What happened? Are you shorted money?

Hi fellow Pilots! I am not certain this is the best place to post this so I apologize if it's not. I have a bit of an issue with the progress of my career. I started off at a flight school called Aviator College of blah blah blah. Progress was okay. I finished everything in minimums. However, stopping at Private SE, ME, Instrument, and Commercial ME, my school had made a very large mistake with my student loans grounding me for good, while I was starting my Instructor training. I am currently at about 250 hours, 90% ME. I have no clue what I can possibly do to continue with this career choice. I am in school now getting a business degree in aviation, but after this I will still have about 250 hours and no job. Student loans have already been deferred once and I am getting very nervous. If there is anyone with advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Zac

My first question, is how did your school make a mistake with your student loans?

Welcome to Poa Zac,......

Care to share the story of the student loan gone bad?:dunno:

Well the financial aid portion of the school is supposed to issue a new loan every semester. I walk in one day to do my 2nd or 3rd Instructor flight and I was on the no fly list. I go and ask why and after much research they said it looks like we forgot to request the loan for this semester. So I am just stunned. Days later they said they are already past the retroactive date to request the loan and the only way for my to continue is to pay them $5,000 because they could not request a loan for next semester with me not finished with my Instructor flight training for the current semester. Sorry if that is confusing.

Grrrr. I assume you don't have the 5k?

You're in a bad spot. Doing your CFI with a school is often the 'in' to get hired by the school. Normally when a paid business screws me I'd say cut bait and take your business elsewhere. But this has implications. How far into CFI are you? Are there alternitavies in the area or reasonably close that you could relocate? If not then maybe you need to suck it up and pay the 5k.

If you don't have access to the 5k then I'd un-enroll and tell them I'm not happy at all. Then go to another school and enroll in their CFI the next semester when the loans can be submitted and take this as a bump in the road.

I'm sorry you got screwed.

Grrrr. I assume you don't have the 5k?
Not even close ;-). I left the school awhile ago, for obvious reasons. The school went through the government for the education loans, and I dont know of any other school around that does this same program. Also the position i'm in now, I am not able to relocate.

I am very sorry. I don't know what to offer. Maybe find some other work for awhile and come back at it when you are in a better position. Aviation takes an inordinate amount of sacrifice these days and relocation is often part of the deal.

I truly wish you the best of luck. Maybe someone else on here will have some more uplifting advise for you...

I am very sorry. I don't know what to offer. Maybe find some other work for awhile and come back at it when you are in a better position. Aviation takes an inordinate amount of sacrifice these days and relocation is often part of the deal.

I truly wish you the best of luck. Maybe someone else on here will have some more uplifting advise for you...

I appreciate the advice so far thank you.

Well the financial aid portion of the school is supposed to issue a new loan every semester. I walk in one day to do my 2nd or 3rd Instructor flight and I was on the no fly list. I go and ask why and after much research they said it looks like we forgot to request the loan for this semester. So I am just stunned. Days later they said they are already past the retroactive date to request the loan and the only way for my to continue is to pay them $5,000 because they could not request a loan for next semester with me not finished with my Instructor flight training for the current semester. Sorry if that is confusing.

Sounds like a scam.:yesnod::mad:

I have 5 bucks on the bet the school got the 5 grand from the guvmint and tried to bilk you out of 5 grand more.:idea:

Jus sayin....

Sounds like a scam.:yesnod::mad:

I have 5 bucks on the bet the school got the 5 grand from the guvmint and tried to bilk you out of 5 grand more.:idea:

Jus sayin....

Well the school is now widely known for ripping people off. I did not give the name of the school because I was not sure if that is allowed here, but there are a ton of horrible reviews.

Aggggh, a true blight on aviation. There are 'scam' schools out there. I really really wish I had better advicce for you. I'd cut bait and run. Maybe you could sue? If they collected money from the bank or government on you behalf that fact would be discoverable.

Still, either they screwed up your training or they stole from you. Is that where you want to work? I'd run to a recommended institution to finish up. That's me.

I really am sorry this happened and ashamed fellow pilots enabled it.

:confused: You are renting and have over 200hrs ME time out of 250? Even 90 hrs rented ME is far too much at your stage, you should 12-20. Who recommended this? That's where all your CFI money went.

Back